Celebrating 2 Years with Chocolate Agar Agar, Be Still My Heart

>> Wednesday, July 6, 2011



First of all what is the correct term blogiversary, blogoversary or blogaversary? Beats me! I'll go with blogoversary (shrugging), just because.

no bake dessert, no-bake dessert, Chocolate, vanilla, cream, marbled, layered, agar, agar agar, jelly, gelatin, vegan gelatin, strawberries, strawberry, pomegranate, dessert, sweet, summer dessert, easy, fast, recipe, recipes, Spicie Foodie, spicy foodie,no bake, no-bake
I can't believe that this month, July 2011, marks the 2nd blogoversary of my baby, Spicie Foodie. When I first started kicking around the idea of becoming a blogger, I could have never imagined that it would have put me on the path I'm on. All I can say is Wow!, Thank you and I can't wait to see what the next 2 years hold.

Chocolate, vanilla, cream, marbled, layered, agar, agar agar, jelly, gelatin, vegan gelatin, strawberries, strawberry, pomegranate, dessert, sweet, summer dessert, easy, fast, recipe, recipes, Spicie Foodie, spicy foodie,no bake, no-bake
One of the many great benefits of being a food blogger is the incredible people I've met and the new friendships I've formed. You my new foodie friends have supported and encouraged me to keep going and push harder, for that I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I hope that you will continue on this journey with me. July will be a month of celebrations with many special recipes, giveaway, contests, and some other special events. Make sure you are following me somewhere or that you visit often to stay up to date. But in the mean time I'd like to share with you the celebratory treat I prepared for us.
Chocolate, vanilla, cream, marbled, layered, agar, agar agar, jelly, gelatin, vegan gelatin, strawberries, strawberry, pomegranate, dessert, sweet, summer dessert, easy, fast, recipe, recipes, Spicie Foodie, spicy foodie
Previously I mentioned incredible people I've met, one of those incredibles is Maya from Foodiva's Kitchen. Maya is not only a fantastically talented woman but also very kind and giving. I love reading and of course drooling over her blog because she never lets me down. Every sweet treat is stimulating to the eyes and gets your tummy growling. Her eye for vibrant food and delicious flavor pairings is quite unique, in a very good way. You just have to see it for yourself, so stop by and say hi to Maya at her blog Foodiva's Kitchen.
Chocolate, vanilla, cream, marbled, layered, agar, agar agar, jelly, gelatin, vegan gelatin, strawberries, strawberry, pomegranate, dessert, sweet, summer dessert, easy, fast, recipe, recipes, Spicie Foodie, spicy foodie
This treat, or that is the Classic Chocolate Agar Agar recipe, is from one of the most adorable cookbooks I have ever seen and owned. Maya heard that I was learning to cook with Agar Agar and just had to send me this adorable book. It is called "Pretty Little Agar Agar" by Amy Wong, and if you can find it you have to buy it. It was so difficult choosing which recipe to try first because they all look so delicious and beautiful. We went with this creamy chocolate and vanilla layered agar that did not let down. If you love chocolate you have to make this. Quite simply this is the best jelly I have ever had! Plus you don't have to use disgusting gelatin made from animal "stuff" . Agar Agar is a vegan product made from seaweed. Also if you are looking for a summer treat that doesn't involve turning on the oven, agar is a great no-bake dessert. Here it the heavenly recipe that stole my heart.
Chocolate, vanilla, cream, marbled, layered, agar, agar agar, jelly, gelatin, vegan gelatin, strawberries, strawberry, pomegranate, dessert, sweet, summer dessert, easy, fast, recipe, recipes, Spicie Foodie, spicy foodie
Classic Chocolate Agar Agar
recipe source "Pretty Little Agar Agar" by Amy Wong

Ingredients A
4 tbsp agar-agar powder
1/2 tsp salt
1500 ml water
1 can evaporated milk
300g sugar
60g coffee creamer
1/2 tsp vanilla essence

Ingredients B
150g cooking chocolate
3 tbsp cocoa powder
4 tbsp peanut butter
400 ml water
1 tsp agar-agar powder

Method:
1. Boil agar agar powder and water from ingredients B. Add remainin Ingredients B, continue boiling over low heat and filter.
2.Boil Ingredients A. Keep 1100mk fro laer use. Mixthe remaining mixture with Ingredeitns B and bring to boil again.
3. Take a mould, pour the mixtures in order: 150ml cocoa layer, 200ml white layer, 250 ml cocoa layer, 250ml white layer, 250ml cocoa layer, 300ml white layer, 300ml cocoa layer.
4. Chill in the refrigerator when it is completely set.

Remark: Make sure the mixture is half-set before pouring the next layer in, until all the mixtures are used up.
Chocolate, vanilla, cream, marbled, layered, agar, agar agar, jelly, gelatin, vegan gelatin, strawberries, strawberry, pomegranate, dessert, sweet, summer dessert, easy, fast, recipe, recipes, Spicie Foodie, spicy foodie
What I did different: The only thing I changed was the layering order. I was pressed for time and formed thicker layers. Also my mould though big wasn't large enough so I had a lot leftover. I used a canneles and star silicone moulds to make different shapes for the extra agar. You can find all of the silicone moulds here, Silicone Moulds .
pomegranate; dessert; sweet; summer dessert; easy; fast; recipe; recipes; Spicie Foodie; spicy foodie; drink; red; pink
Heavenly to the last bite! Thankfully the recipe yields enough to feed 8 or more so I have plenty leftover for snacks and desserts. Next time I need to work on getting the layers perfect so they do not bleed on to the previous layer. Oh well I'll just have to keep making more until I get it perfect ;) Thank you Maya for the lovely gift, I love it! What about you, have you ever made Agar Agar?


These Are The Top 10 Viewed Recipes On Spicie Foodie: (based on analytic page views)

46 comments:

Deepthi KR July 6, 2011 at 10:30 AM  

OMG they look very delicious!!!!
Happy Blogging!!!!
Food Blog News Daily
Good Food Recipes

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen July 6, 2011 at 10:50 AM  

Congratulations on your two years of blogging! What an exquisite way to celebrate, those desserts are stunning.

Nancy July 6, 2011 at 10:54 AM  

Hi Sylvie, Thank you :)!

Roxana GreenGirl July 6, 2011 at 11:12 AM  

Hi Nancy,
Congratulations on the second blog anniversary! Wish you many more to come!

The cake is so festive and elegant, fits the occasion :)

Nandita SS July 6, 2011 at 11:20 AM  

Happy anniversary to Spicie foodie. This recipe is very apt for the occasion Nancy. I have tried Agar Agar on two occasions. Once it was about 4yrs ago when I tried making the agar agar sweet with milk. My husband did'nt like it too much. The second time was just 5 days back. I used agar agar to make chocolate mousse cake. It turned out fabulous. It was a great hit at the party that I had :)

Anonymous,  July 6, 2011 at 11:28 AM  

Absolutely beautiful! Happy Blogoversary and many more...

Nancy July 6, 2011 at 11:29 AM  

@Roxana, Thank you! It's actually not a cake but rather jelly, thanks anyways:)

@Paaka, Thank you! Oh I'll have to check your blog for that mousse cake. Sounds delicious.

Alina---Explora Cuisine July 6, 2011 at 11:38 AM  

Happy Birthday to you and your lovely blog Nancy!!! For me you're definitely an inspiration and I feel lucky to have met you in the blogging world :) The chocolate agar look amazing, I love how well defined the layers are! Hope you're having a great week with this celebration!

Nancy July 6, 2011 at 11:47 AM  

Hi Alina,
Thank you so much, that is too sweet of you:) You too have a fantastic week!

Kelly | Eat Yourself Skinny July 6, 2011 at 11:51 AM  

Happy Anniversary!!! This looks absolutely gorgeous and so delicious! Wow I'm so impressed and inspired! :)

Kelly July 6, 2011 at 11:57 AM  

Oh my.... your chocolate creations are beautiful contrasted against the dazzling red. I bet the taste even better!

Nikki @ The Tolerant Vegan July 6, 2011 at 12:06 PM  

Happy Anniversary! I love your blog and I hope you know just how inspiring you are to all of us. And your agar agar is gorgeous!!!

Nancy July 6, 2011 at 12:07 PM  

Hi Kelly #1 :), Thank you it means alot :)

Hi Kelly #2, Thank you and yes the taste is pretty great!

Nancy July 6, 2011 at 12:11 PM  

@Nikki, Thank you! What sweet words you speak, I'm truly touched by them:)

ann low July 6, 2011 at 1:04 PM  

Congratulations on your 2nd blog anniversary! Wish many more to come - keep rocking!!
Those are pretty agar agar dessert and I'm going to get this book too!

Nithya July 6, 2011 at 1:32 PM  

Congrats on completing two successful years :) You are doing a great job :) Keep it going :)

Love the chocolate pudding. Fantastic decoration and photography :)

spcookiequeen July 6, 2011 at 1:35 PM  

2 years already, but you are so young. lol Happy Blogiversary. I've never used agar agar, but you are making me rethink that, just as Maya always does. I enjoy reading the both of you so much. Hope to for many more years.
-Gina-

Heidi @ Food Doodles July 6, 2011 at 1:45 PM  

2 Years! That's awesome. Happy blogiversary! That agar agar looks so cool! I have some agar agar in my cupboard but I'm a bit scared to try it. Mine is in long strands and I don't know what to do with it. I may just blend it up to get a powder and then try it out. Yours look so fun, I'm inspired!

BestOodles July 6, 2011 at 1:57 PM  

Congratulations on your two years blog anniversary!

The Chocolate Priestess July 6, 2011 at 2:07 PM  

I have never worked with agar agar at all. I'm thrilled you can use chocolate with it!

Torviewtoronto July 6, 2011 at 2:27 PM  

beautifully done happy blog anniversary

Nancy July 6, 2011 at 2:28 PM  

@Emily, Thanks!

@Ann, Thanks and you'll love the book :)

@Nithya, Thank you so much:)

@Gina, Thank you dahling :) Do it and you'll love it. I suggest starting with one of Maya's recipes.

@Heidi, Thank you! I don't see why that wouldn't work just as well as store bought powder. Have fun with it:)

@BestOodles, Thank you :)

@The Chocolate Priestess, You should because chocolate works great with it!

Çitra's Home Diary July 6, 2011 at 3:02 PM  

Happy 2nd blog anniversary Nancy ! more powerful, more mouthwatering post with great potos!

Nancy July 6, 2011 at 4:02 PM  

@Torviewtoronto, Thank you :)

@Citra, Thank you so much :)

Becs@Lay the table July 6, 2011 at 4:21 PM  

Wow these look beautiful! Really must give this a try.

Jessica July 6, 2011 at 4:53 PM  

Happy blogoversary!!! You have a wonderful blog and I'm happy to be following you and all the delicious dishes!

claudia lamascolo July 6, 2011 at 6:13 PM  

Gorgeous photo's stunning, and am so happy to be a foodie friend to be able to spend the next years of enjoyment here with you to look forward to! Thanks for a great two years and here's to many more!!!!

Kim Bee July 6, 2011 at 6:26 PM  

Congratulations! What a way to celebrate. I am in awe.

Unknown July 6, 2011 at 7:44 PM  

Hope I'm not the last one here to say Happy 2nd Blogoversary, Nancy! You have a fantastic blog that I've enjoyed following from the very beginning, and I'm so glad we've become friends over this past year. Your agar agar creations look so incredible, I love the chocolate star with the pomegranate heart in the middle. My heart did a somersault just looking at it! LOL. Thanks also for the lovely mention, I'm so glad you're enjoying the blog and book.

Hope there'll be any more fab recipes and posts and anniversaries to come... Mwaahs!

amlamonte July 6, 2011 at 8:09 PM  

oo those look so cool and yummy for the summer...i love the pomegranate seeds especially! happy blogoversary!

Lazaro Cooks July 6, 2011 at 8:25 PM  

Congrats on the success of your blog. Look forward to following your next kitchen adventures to come.

Fabulous creations all the way around. Agar agar is such a wonderful ingredient to work with.

Be well

Tasty Trix July 6, 2011 at 10:37 PM  

Happy happy blogoversary!! We started around the same time I guess - and I am ashamed to admit that I have nothing planned for this month (so far). Shame on me.
Well, I love this agar dish - I hate the smell of gelatin, it's really gross ... this is something I should look into as well. (Maya, if you want to send me a cookbook as well, I mean ... kidding! lol)
Here's to many more years of your awesome blog!

Sandra July 6, 2011 at 11:47 PM  

CONGRATS Nancy..2 years, wow and you have accomplished so much! I Love your blog, and I love you and your kindness! You are definitively not your everyday blogger! I have to agree with you about Maya, she is incredible..I would love to see you two team up:))
Congrats and Cheers!

Sandra July 6, 2011 at 11:48 PM  

Ohh and I forgot..your cake is OMG Amazing!!!! I would eat that baby in a minute!:)))

Maria July 7, 2011 at 3:40 AM  

Congrats Nancy all my best wishes with you :)....

Indian Khana July 7, 2011 at 7:56 AM  

Congrats and wish you many more years of blogging ....this is like wonderful way to celebrate ..looks so tempting

Jill @ Dulce Dough July 7, 2011 at 11:30 AM  

I am not sure what the correct term is, but congratulations!! Your creations look amazing! I have never used agar agar and am now very curious about it!

Marsha @ The Harried Cook July 8, 2011 at 2:41 AM  

I am so happy to have discovered your blog! And at such a special time, too :) Happy Blogoversary! :) I really look forward to browsing around & discovering more of your food... This agar agar pudding looks divine! I love the different shapes you've made! Absolutely gorgeous :) I am a follower now, and I look forward to joining this month's YBR too :) Nice to 'meet' you!

Jayanthy Kumaran July 8, 2011 at 4:07 AM  

Congrats Nancy..you've a great blog..
wishing you many many more success..:)
Awesome clicks to speak the glorious moment..
Am your happy email subscriber now..
do stop by mine sometime..
Tasty Appetite

Sarah-Jane - SiliconeMoulds.com July 8, 2011 at 4:48 AM  

Hello Nancy

Congratulations on two years of blogging. You have the most delightful blog, dozens of super informative recipes and HUNDREDS of the most beautiful photographs :-)

Something to be very VERY proud of indeed.

Strangely - I've been playing with agar agar too this week. The very day you emailed me ! I've made a massive mistake though and managed to delete my ENTIRE email box. I no longer have any emails I can reply to or anyone's email addresses. Message me again when you get time. I promise I'm not ignoring anyone :-(

Tiffany July 8, 2011 at 10:46 AM  

Beautiful dish...AND... HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY blogoversary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frank July 9, 2011 at 10:45 AM  

A beautiful dish, as always. And congratulations on your second anniversary! I actually didn't know you had been around that long, believe it or not. So in blog terms we're practically brother and sister... :)

Magic of Spice July 10, 2011 at 2:09 PM  

Many, many congratulations on your 2nd anniversary! Your celebrations dessert is gorgeous!
I wish I could give you a big hug and share a glass of wine in celebration with you :)
Much love and hugs, always!

Unknown July 11, 2011 at 12:50 AM  

Congrats! I love your blog. BTW this recipe is so cool. I can't wait to try this.

Priscilla - She's Cookin' July 12, 2011 at 12:41 PM  

Major congrats on your 2nd anniversary! What a delicious way to celebrate - your chocolate agar agar is beautiful. I've never cooked with agar agar, but I love how they look and the no-bake part :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog. I love to hear from my readers so please leave your thoughts or questions below. Thank You!

(**PLEASE notice that comments with links are sent to the spam filter. This is not a place for you to advertise yourself.**)

Buy or Sell Food Photos!

View My PortfolioRoyalty Free Images

Support Me By Clicking on These Links:

living in Czech Republic Expat Women - Helping Women Living OverseasTopOfBlogsBuy Foodie artHonest Cooking The Food Magazine, Spicie Foodie , contributor

Followers

©2009-2011 All recipes, articles, blog post, content, and images (*Unless otherwise stated*) are the sole property of Spicie Foodie and Nancy Lopez-McHugh. They should not be used without prior written consent. You can contact me here

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP