Somen (Nyumen) Miso Soup, Ready in 10 Minutes

>> Thursday, January 20, 2011



Somen Miso Noodle Soup; Instant; miso; soup; noodles; recipe; ingredients; hot; Japanese; food; recipes;Nyumen, cuisine
So far 2011 has started just like 2010 came to an end, busy. But I'm not complaining, who wouldn't rather be busy with too much to do then bored with nothing to do. I do have a question for those of you that have children, go to a 9-5 job, cook, clean, and blog- how do you find all that time to do all of the aforementioned plus have time to photograph, write, visit all of your favorite blogs, and still have time to enjoy life? Even those of you that are stay at home parents, how do you guys do it all? Do you guys have clones? And where can I get one?

Lately I have been trying to challenge myself on how to prepare good and healthy meals with limited time. Today I have one of those "challenge" meals. It is a warming, delicious and pretty healthy soup. It's called Somen Miso Soup and it will take you about 10 minutes (or less) to prepare. Somen are pale, really thin Japanese wheat noodles. They are typically eaten or served cold and when prepared or served warm the name changes to Nyumen. (There is a fun way of serving the cold Somen called nagashi somen, they flow down a long bamboo tube and running cold water, the people stand over the tube and try to catch the flowing noodles with their chopsticks. Check out Youtube for the fun demonstrations.) Since the somen is very thin it takes a very small amount of time to cook. I cheated when it came to the miso, I used Kikkoman Instant AKA (Red) Miso Soup packages. Even though I always keep a package of fresh miso paste I love to have those Kikoman packs to grab a quick snack because they are delish! The bad thing is that the package has MSG and for the most part I try to avoid it but oh well. If you don't have the red miso packs you could also use the Shiro miso or white miso packages.
Instant; miso; soup; noodles; recipe; ingredients; hot; Japanese; food; recipes; cuisine,Nyumen

Ingredients for 1 serving:
1 packet instant miso soup,Kikkoman Instant AKA (Red) Miso Soup
1/2 serving Somen noodle, they come bound together per serving just use half
hot water, according to package or adjust to taste

optional toppings:
wakame
scallions
tofu

1. Boil enough water for the noodles and the instant soup mix. *Tip* I have an electric kettle that boils the water in no time, this will really make the process go faster. Fill the electric kettle and boil. Cook the noodles according to package instructions, which will typically say boil the noodles for about 4-5 minutes. Drain the noodles, run under cold water and set aside. Running the noodles under cold water stops them from cooking further.
2. Add the miso pack or packets to a large bowl. Stir in water until fully dissolved. Place the noodles in the bowl(s) and stir. If you would like to add any additional toppings do so before serving.
Somen Miso Noodle Soup; Instant; miso; soup; noodles; recipe; ingredients; hot; Japanese; food; recipes; cuisine; Nyumen
That's it, super simple! This isn't much of a recipe since it's a total no-brainer. But trust me the soup will be really good and when pressed for time this is a great meal option. I've served it both for lunch and double the recipe, per person, for a light dinner. So what about you guys, do you have a go to meal that is both a no-brainer and ready in no time but still healthy? Leave me the links to them in the comments, I'd love to see your dishes!

somen; Somen Noodles; soup; noodles; miso; miso soup; Japanese; hot; Instant; food; recipe; Miso Noodle Soup; Miso Somen Soup; Nyumen; green tea
*Little reminder in case you missed it, You can now sign up for the January edition of YBR here*


26 comments:

Sandra January 20, 2011 at 1:22 PM  

Awesome recipe as always!!! Stunning photos, to tell you the truth I can't stop looking!

Cheers!

Nikki January 20, 2011 at 1:52 PM  

I don't even have kids and I have trouble finding time to fit everything in. I don't know how you do it, but you're my hero! And the soup looks fantastic :)

Stella January 20, 2011 at 2:01 PM  

This is such an awesome post, Nancy!! I make a soup similar to this, but it doesn't have miso. I've been meaning to get some miso. I never use it and I'm a vegetarian. Weird, huh? Anyway, I'll try an instant type like this and make this exact soup. Yum!
p.s. Thanks for your encouragement by the way. I hope you know that you're the best of the best;-)

Nancy January 20, 2011 at 2:34 PM  

@Sandra, Thanks and that's good for me. You're going to have to go and make yourself some:)

@Food Frenzy, Yep!

@Niki, I also don't have kids- just my puppy:)

@Stella, You are such a sweetheart, and thanks for allowing me to input my two cents:) I'd love to see your similar version. Hope you like this.

Belinda @zomppa January 20, 2011 at 3:20 PM  

Looks like a perfect meal - and 10 minutes! I'm all for easier, healthier.

Cookin' Canuck January 20, 2011 at 4:55 PM  

This is a perfect in-a-hurry meal. Plus, it has all of my favorite flavors in one bowl.

scrambledhenfruit January 20, 2011 at 8:37 PM  

Let me know if you figure out how to fit everything in. :) Any soup that takes only 10 minutes and also looks that delicious is a winner in my book!

Christina-Marie Wright January 21, 2011 at 1:03 AM  

Gorgeous photos of a tasty-sounding soup! Perfect for when I'm working at home without the kiddos!

Umm Mymoonah January 21, 2011 at 3:45 AM  

If you say it gets ready in 10 minutes, I love this soup. Pictures looks too good.

FamilySpice January 21, 2011 at 10:17 AM  

I just made some udon soup - first time. It's remarkable how quickly it was to put together. Your soup looks so inviting!

Tanantha @ I Just Love My Apron January 21, 2011 at 2:34 PM  

I know! how could they manage to do that??
I don't have kids but with what I have is overwhelming sometimes.

Miso ramen is my favorite so the miso soup gets me excited every time! Lovely photos Nancy!

Dimah January 22, 2011 at 11:22 AM  

Great photos ! and the soup looks delicious.

Tiffany January 22, 2011 at 12:58 PM  

Um, I can't find the time to devote to my blog even without kids, etc. YIKES! I really don't understand how folks do it! On another note, the soup looks amazing. And as usual, I love the pictures!

Chef Dennis Littley January 22, 2011 at 5:52 PM  

All I can say after looking at this post is
Miso Hungry!!! I use to love miso especially with noodles!! I have not had it since my karate days!
Thanks for reminding me just how good it is
Dennis

Sandra January 22, 2011 at 8:05 PM  

I came to tell you thank you for sharing tips, and sharing wonderful photos and recipes, and of course for amazing support for all bloggers! I have little blog award for you at my blog!

Torviewtoronto January 22, 2011 at 10:52 PM  

healthy delicious soup looks wonderful

penny aka jeroxie January 23, 2011 at 6:44 AM  

We do the same thing! And good busy is always good. :)

Magic of Spice January 23, 2011 at 5:52 PM  

Only you could prepare something this gorgeous in 10 minutes! I love these types of soup, always comforting...
and make excellent starter dishes too :)

Unknown January 23, 2011 at 7:22 PM  

Hey Nancy, you are good at coming up with wonderful recipes for soups and stews among other things;-) This recipe sounds so simple, I will have to try it as I love anything with noodles;-)

Claudia January 23, 2011 at 9:25 PM  

I am loving this - ten-minute recipes are a must to have in the repertoire and then you don't need to resort to a lot of processed stuff. And of course, in my years - I have a lot of them. The teenage years were especially hectic. And dinner did not come through a fast-food window!

Soupsare perfect for throwing together - this soup really invites.

Anonymous,  January 24, 2011 at 5:04 AM  

Soup looks really cleansing, might add a bit of chilli! I have a dog and three cats but no kids and the cleaning still takes a back seat!!I don't know how most people do it all, but I'm glad they do!

Tasty Trix January 25, 2011 at 3:17 PM  

We are both on a soup kick I see!! And why not? Simple is good when it comes to a dish like this - love it!

Chocolate Freckles February 3, 2011 at 4:47 PM  

Lovely pictures I need something warm to keep me going!

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog. I love to hear from my readers so please leave your thoughts or questions below. Thank You!

(**PLEASE notice that comments with links are sent to the spam filter. This is not a place for you to advertise yourself.**)

Buy or Sell Food Photos!

View My PortfolioRoyalty Free Images

Support Me By Clicking on These Links:

living in Czech Republic Expat Women - Helping Women Living OverseasTopOfBlogsBuy Foodie artHonest Cooking The Food Magazine, Spicie Foodie , contributor

Followers

©2009-2011 All recipes, articles, blog post, content, and images (*Unless otherwise stated*) are the sole property of Spicie Foodie and Nancy Lopez-McHugh. They should not be used without prior written consent. You can contact me here

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP