Chorizo Stuffed Chiles, No Ordinary Chile Relleno

>> Friday, July 8, 2011



*Thanks for voting this recipe into the Foodbuzz Top 9 today!**

Chorizo Stuffed Chiles; Chorizo Cheese Stuffed Chiles; cheese; chorizo; chiles; recipe; Mexican; chiles rellenos; Spicie Foodie; food; blog
As a child my family moved to America. My immigrant Mexican family adopted many American traditions, we celebrated most of the American holidays along with a few Mexican holidays. We have the same values, worries, hopes and aspirations for our loved ones. You could say that besides being bilingual, and eating Mexican food my family was your typical suburban family living in America.

One of the biggest American holidays my family celebrates is Independence Day or the 4th of July. That means family gatherings, fireworks and cookouts. When I lived in the states I loved celebrating the 4th for those very reasons. Summertime also meant that there would be many outdoor fiestas to celebrate something or other. The warm weather fiestas were often celebrated at a local park, or someone’s back yard. My huge extended family and family friends would all gather to celebrate with a cookout or barbeque. The day started early and in true Mexican fashion it was an all day party with food, music, sometimes dancing, food, laughter and did I mention all the food ?

Chorizo Stuffed Chiles; Chorizo Cheese Stuffed Chiles; cheese; chorizo; chiles; recipe; Mexican; chiles rellenos; Spicie Foodie; food; blog
I still remember the first time my American husband attended one of his new Mexican family’s cookouts. Not so secretly I think he was in culinary heaven, secretly I was so proud of my guerito for loving everything. Everyone wanted him to try this and that until he couldn’t eat another bite, but still he was offered more. Those are Mexican mothers for you. No wonder he never wanted to refuse an invitation to a family gathering on his Mexican side of the family. Mexican food is his favorite and the opportunity to try something new is one he doesn't pass up.

There was always great food, both Mexican and some American. The list of foods and desserts were always extensive, since everyone brought a dish or several. But one of the foods served at our family cookouts always sticks in my head. Grilled chiles stuffed with chorizo and cheese. It was my eldest sister V. that prepared them and believe me when I tell you those are the best stuffed peppers ever tasted or cooked by anyone! Grand statement but that girl can cook and turn the most ordinary thing into a 5 star worthy dish. I’ve never prepared these stuffed peppers with my sister V. but I began recreating them from memory and I hope she approves. Sadly I do not have a charcoal grill so I will also be teaching you and indoors method.

Spicy Food; food; spicy; chiles guerros; yellow chiles; Wax Peppers; cubanelle; wax peppers; Anaheim; banana; or New Mexico peppers; recipe; Mexican; chorizo; stuffed; Spicie Foodie; blog; peppers; chiles; chillies
These stuffed peppers or chiles rellenos are not the same thing as the cheese stuffed poblano peppers many think of when they hear chiles rellenos. The words chile relleno just means stuffed peppers, not specifying what kind of pepper. The peppers that can be used in this recipe are chiles guerros or yellow chiles. You could also use cubanelle, wax peppers, Anaheim, banana, or New Mexico peppers. One day I would also like to use fresh poblanos or jalapenos and can imagine how great they would taste.

Chorizo Stuffed Chiles
any fresh chile from the suggested list
Mexican chorizo (I use my
homemade chorizo but store bought will do just fine)
Mexican Chihuahua cheese or queso fresco, as a substitute you can use Eidam for the Chihuahua or feta cheese for the queso fresco.

toothpicks if necessary
charcoal grill, flat griddle or indoor grill pan

1. Cook the chorizo and drain off all extra fat from the pan. Thoroughly rinse the chiles. Lay them flat on a baking sheet or cutting board.

Grilling Method: Slice a vertical slit large enough to stuff. If grilling outdoors I do not remove the seeds. Stuff with either chorizo or cheese, or try a mix of both. Do not over stuff as the contents will flow out. If need be use toothpicks to close the slit. Place on the grill and cook until they are soft and have charred skins. Allow to cool a few minutes before serving and remove toothpicks if used. To keep them warm when grilling outdoors just cover with aluminum foil.

Chorizo Stuffed Chiles; Chorizo Cheese Stuffed Chiles; cheese; chorizo; chiles; recipe; Mexican; chiles rellenos; Spicie Foodie; food; blog
Indoor Method:
Heat the indoor grill pan or griddle over high heat. Place the clean chiles and allow to char. Turn now and then allow the skin to become evenly charred and softened. Once chiles have softened place on a cutting board to cool. Once cooled enough to handle slice a vertical slit large enough to stuff. Depending on my mood I will or will not remove the seeds, it's your choice. Stuff with either chorizo or cheese, or try a mix of both. Do not over stuff as the contents will flow out. If need be use toothpicks to close the slit. Place back on the indoor grill pan or griddle and cook for another 10 minute to allow the cheese to melt. Allow to cool before serving.

Chorizo Stuffed Chiles; Chorizo Cheese Stuffed Chiles; cheese; chorizo; chiles; recipe; Mexican; chiles rellenos; Spicie Foodie; food; blog; queso; chiles; healthy; grilled; roasted
Serve as an appetizer, side dish or for a complete meal alongside refried beans or frijoles de olla and tortillas of your choice. Don't forget some fresh salsa too.

Tip: Select chiles that have smooth skin or if ones with grooves and wrinkles that can lay flat on one side. This makes it easier for the contents to stay inside. If you have neither an outdoors or indoor grill you could also use the oven to cook the chiles.

Chorizo Stuffed Chiles; Chorizo Cheese Stuffed Chiles; cheese; chorizo; chiles; recipe; Mexican; chiles rellenos; Spicie Foodie; food; blog; queso; chiles; healthy; grilled; roasted

Have a beautiful and sunny weekend!

Great Summer Posts From Around The Web This Week:
- Mango Crab Gazpacho Soup by 6 Bittersweets
- Blackberry Honey Butter by Gourmande in the Kitchen
- How to Make Ice Cream Without a Machine by Jules Clancy via Honest Cooking



46 comments:

Michelle Chin July 9, 2011 at 8:22 AM  

It is nice to hear your stories about you being in america. ;) i celebrated 4th of july in new york. :D

Nancy July 9, 2011 at 8:32 AM  

Hi Michelle, Thank you :) I hope you had fun celebrating the 4th, it's a great experience.

Celia July 9, 2011 at 10:06 AM  

Yum! I was eyeing poblanos in the market the other day, but they weren't looking so nice...this recipe has totally renewed my resolve to find some good ones to stuff. Yum!

Nancy July 9, 2011 at 10:22 AM  

Hi Celia, Yes definitely go for it :)

janet@fromcupcakestocaviar July 9, 2011 at 10:28 AM  

This sounds so good. And I loved the story :-)

Sandra July 9, 2011 at 10:43 AM  

I can only imagine all those parties with tons of good food! Sounds like you had so much fun while growing up! Your stuffed peppers look so tasty..I love anything spicy and peppers and on top of the list:)) Really beautiful meal Nancy!!!

Kelly | Eat Yourself Skinny July 9, 2011 at 10:53 AM  

Oh wow these look incredibly amazing!! What a great idea, I'd love to try these! :)

Unknown July 9, 2011 at 10:53 AM  

omg mouth watering! These look delicious! Buzzz

Sarah-Jane - SiliconeMoulds.com July 9, 2011 at 11:10 AM  

Never seen chillies like those - but they look fab and something rather different from the norm.

I love mexican food!

Nancy July 9, 2011 at 11:12 AM  

@Janet, Thank you :)

@Sandra, Thank you sweetie :) You are always so kind, much appreciated

@Kelly, Thank you!

@Dana, Thanks :)

@Sarah-Jane, Too bad but maybe at the ethnic markets? Glad to hear it:)

S.V. July 9, 2011 at 1:42 PM  

These look amazing I love good food shared with family and friends.

Chef Dennis Littley July 9, 2011 at 2:04 PM  

my Mexican mother went off to nursing school before she learned to cook....sigh, but I do remember my grandmother cooking for me she did love to feed me. The last time I went home I did experience being fed at every relative we visited, what a wonderful time that was!
Your Chile's look exceptionally delicious and good chorizo is a thing of beauty!
Thanks so much for the memories

Heidi @ Food Doodles July 9, 2011 at 2:48 PM  

Those look great :) I'm not a huge fan of stuffed sweet peppers usually but poblanos and chiles like these that you used look so good to me! Yum!

Anonymous,  July 9, 2011 at 4:35 PM  

Oh my! I am a chorizo FANATIC!!!!!! Love the stuff! I'm going to have to make this and soon! And I believe that your hubby WAS secretly in culinary heaven. I am 100% americano. A mix of who knows how many european countries and to be honest there have been many times that I wish our family came from an ethnic background due to the huge celebratory meals. Different cultures enjoy food so differently than American's. It is something to be proud of for sure!

Tina @flourtrader July 9, 2011 at 6:16 PM  

These look fantastic! Your husband knows exactly where to find delicious food and he is lucky it is from family and not a restaurant. Thanks for sharing.

Alina---Explora Cuisine July 9, 2011 at 7:02 PM  

Beautiful and full with flavours recipe! I love grilled peppers, especially when they come in a salad, yummy!!!

Anonymous,  July 9, 2011 at 10:14 PM  

Wow - They look absolutely amazing! I like that you left the egg off....a nice spin on a classic!

Torviewtoronto July 10, 2011 at 1:42 AM  

delicious looking stuffed peppers and flavours look wonderful

Anonymous,  July 10, 2011 at 7:54 AM  

I LOVE THESE! chorizo is big in my portuguese family! I can't wait to try this recipe! what a wonderful stuffed pepper dish!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen July 10, 2011 at 9:53 AM  

I think no matter what culture you are from mother's always want you eat more! lol I guess that's why they say food is love.

Frank July 10, 2011 at 10:45 AM  

This looks amazing! Now it may not be necessary but I think these would be wonderful made with poblanos. What doesn't taste wonderful if there's chorizo in it, anyway!!!

Evelyne@CheapEthnicEatz July 10, 2011 at 11:25 AM  

I would not want to miss a family cookout with your family either. It looks and sounds just awesome. Just with lots of bread and antacid lol

Magic of Spice July 10, 2011 at 2:24 PM  

I have to send this to Adam...he will love them! They are gorgeous by the way :)
Actually all my boys love chorizo, and always love chilies of all sorts...
Hope you had a great weekend, hugs

Manja July 10, 2011 at 5:02 PM  

Fantastic! wow that looks very delicous. Now i am hungry T.T i have book the recipe, i will try it out^^ i like healthy food

amlamonte July 10, 2011 at 5:44 PM  

oo your blog is killing me! i am literally making your tacos al pastor today, and this looks so incredible i will have to make it soon. really need to hone my chile stemming/scraping skills though! i am pathetically slow at it. mmmmmm your husband is a lucky fellow!

Emily @ Life on Food July 10, 2011 at 7:21 PM  

One of those family celebrations sounds like so much fun, not to mention delicious! Your chiles look amazing!

Danielle July 10, 2011 at 9:45 PM  

that sounds absolutely delicious! my boyfriend is into mexican food, but I was raised by an irish mom who was terrified of any spice so im still learning! i would def love to try this

Betty @ scrambled henfruit July 10, 2011 at 10:17 PM  

We never ate hot peppers at my house when I was growing up, and I've been trying to make up for that since I've been cooking for myself. :) These look so good, and it's prime pepper season here. My brother grows all kinds and shares generously! :)

Kimberly (unrivaledkitch) July 11, 2011 at 6:26 AM  

Gorgeous!I've eaten peppers just like this. Delicious!

Lazaro Cooks July 11, 2011 at 11:49 AM  

Chile, queso fresco and chorizo always work. Beautifully executed.

Tiffany July 11, 2011 at 1:02 PM  

This looks amazing! Would it be blasphemy to use veggie chorizo? :D

Ana Helena July 11, 2011 at 1:28 PM  

Thanks for sharing your great story. It reminded me when I introduced my husband (American) to my Brazilian family and everyone wanted him to try all these great different kinds of food. The best part was...he loved it! Sometimes I thing he loves Brazil more than I do :).
You these looks beautiful and tasty. Thanks for sharing.

alana July 11, 2011 at 1:52 PM  

Thanx for sharing I can't wait to try this

Roxana GreenGirl July 11, 2011 at 11:26 PM  

I love reading about your life in America. In Romania they always find reason to throw a grilling party almost every weekend during the summer. Family and friends gathering are always welcome.
Your peppers look great! Loved the photo with the raw chiles.

Anonymous,  July 11, 2011 at 11:55 PM  

Congrats on making today's Foodbuzz Top 9!

The Harried Cook July 12, 2011 at 12:17 AM  

That looks really yummy! Great reading about your life in America too :) Thanks for sharing!

Jessica July 12, 2011 at 2:09 AM  

This is so fabulous! Definitely no ordinary chile relleno! I love every photo and it looks so delicious.

Manu July 12, 2011 at 5:24 AM  

Oh Nancy, these look fantastic! I love stuffed peppers and with chorizo they must be to die for!!! Beautiful pictures too btw!

Unknown July 12, 2011 at 10:04 AM  

I like to read about your family stories, gathering and all that fab food you get to eat! Like these stuffed peppers, for example. The only stuffed chiles I've had are the Asian version where they are stuffed with tofu and placed in a steamboat soup. I can't make them myself but your dish here have inspired me to try.

Priscilla - She's Cookin' July 12, 2011 at 12:32 PM  

We love our Mexican food out here! And chile rellenos are my favorite - these look sooo delicious! I'll have to try making my own chorizo so I can make these. Beautiful shots, Nancy and congrats on the Top 9! I'm linking up with your Mexican corn today :)

Fresh and Foodie July 13, 2011 at 11:57 AM  

Wow. These are amazing. I love everything about this dish.

Erin July 14, 2011 at 9:33 PM  

Yum!! These look amazing. What a great twist for Rellenos!

My Little Space July 15, 2011 at 8:53 AM  

All I can say this is marvelous, my goodness!
Kristy

Charisse July 27, 2011 at 8:02 PM  

I love how American holidays have become a melting pot at the table! At our holidays, you can always find a good mix of traditional American cuisine along with Italian and Mexican! Yummmm...

Leah July 29, 2011 at 8:13 PM  

Wow, this looks delicious. Your photos are beautiful as well!

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog. I love to hear from my readers so please leave your thoughts or questions below. Thank You!

(**PLEASE notice that comments with links are sent to the spam filter. This is not a place for you to advertise yourself.**)

Buy or Sell Food Photos!

View My PortfolioRoyalty Free Images

Support Me By Clicking on These Links:

living in Czech Republic Expat Women - Helping Women Living OverseasTopOfBlogsBuy Foodie artHonest Cooking The Food Magazine, Spicie Foodie , contributor

Followers

©2009-2011 All recipes, articles, blog post, content, and images (*Unless otherwise stated*) are the sole property of Spicie Foodie and Nancy Lopez-McHugh. They should not be used without prior written consent. You can contact me here

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP