What do The Godfather and A Scruffy Terrier Have In Common?

>> Monday, October 11, 2010

What does The Godfather and a Scruffy Terrier have in common? More than you may think. The Scruffy Scrappy Terrier will also make you that offer you can't refuse. It is very frightening, don't let that innocent look fool you. I've been woken up in the middle of the night by that chilling feeling, you know when you feel something isn't right. It's the Scruffy Terrier sitting up on the bed, just starring at me with a cold blank stare. What is he thinking, contemplating, or is it scheming?, gives me chills just to think about it. And then there are those "offers" he makes us, pet me now or I'll keep jumping around you annoying you until your nerves are wrecked and you can't resist my "offer" any longer. It can also be their shared love for Spaghetti. The Scruffy Terrier's demands go like this, get in the kitchen and make me some Shpaghetti or I'm going to tell everyone that you are a bad Mommy and starve me. (Shpaghetti is not misspelled, it's just how Czechs pronounce it and our dog prefers that pronunciation over Spaghetti, it's something about the ch and sh sounds that get his attention.) Shpaghetti is one of his favorite meals, and nothing better come between him and his Shpaghetti.
Well OK, the Scruffy Scrappy Terrier is actually nothing but a furry ball of love. He loves everyone and wants to share the love with both people and his fellow species. He doesn't care if you want or don't want some love and attention, you're getting it! Panchito is one of the sweetest dogs in the world, and has been my little shadow for the past 12+ years. He loves people food, and somehow he just knows what's for dinner and when not to fill up on his dog food and save room to fit his people dinner. Now I know many of you are bothered by the fact that we feed him Spaghetti or more specifically pasta sauce, don't be. Our dog has been eating pasta sauce, pepperoni pizza and many other weird things for 12 years. We have been lucky that his stomach is like a rock and hasn't had problems eating these foods. But that's my dog and may not be the case with many dogs out there, so be careful what you feed your dog.

So here is where the Godfather movie comes in, I actually learned how to make decent spaghetti sauce from the movie. It was from this scene in the first The Godfather movie,
"Heh, come over here, kid, learn something. You never know, you might have to cook for 20 guys someday. You see, you start out with a little bit of oil. Then you fry some garlic. Then you throw in some tomatoes, tomato paste, you fry it; ya make sure it doesn't stick. You get it to a boil; you shove in all your sausage and your meatballs; heh…? And a little bit o' wine. An' a little bit o' sugar, and that's my trick." I tried it and was so happy to not have to buy the disgusting jars of pasta sauce that are available here. While it started out exactly as in the scene my sauce has evolved and it depends on what I have in the house to make it. Here is my general recipe.


Ingredients: ( 4 servings for 1 lb. or 500 grams spaghetti)
1 15 oz (400 grams) can stewed tomatoes
6 oz (200 grams) tomato puree
8 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tbsp. Parmesan cheese
finely sliced/diced olives, optional
1 tsp. dried Thyme
2 tsp. dried Oregano
2 tsp. dried Basil
1 large bay leaf
large pinch of granulated sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 Tbs. olive oil
1/4 cup (100 ml) red wine, *
Optional:
minced meat or sausage

*I will leave out or add it after I separate some sauce for the puppy, because alcohol is bad for dog.*

1. Heat the oil, add the minced garlic and cook for 3 minutes, then add all of the spices and stir around for 1 minutes. Add the wine then the stewed tomatoes and tomato puree, if the tomatoes are whole use the spoon to break up. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until ready to serve.


If using sausage or minced meat fry until cooked through then add the remaining ingredients. You can use this basic tomato sauce for spaghetti or any other type of pasta you like. I like to use it on just about any pasta, even to make lasagna. It also freezes well.

You remember that movie Lady and The Tramp, the scene where they are having a romantic dinner slurping the spaghetti? Panchito kinda looks like him, now if we could only find him a girlfriend.... but he'd skip the long romantic walk and go for seconds then right into ....mmmmm.. let's just call it dessert to keep it G rated.


I have chosen this recipe for the October YBR event
YBR,Your Best Recipe,event,roundup, foodies, club,spaghetti, Shpaghetti,the godfather, cooking,recipes,The Godfather 1

32 comments:

Gayle Martin October 12, 2010 at 11:45 AM  

I really enjoyed your post. As someone with two dachshunds I can relate. My little guys love pasta too, but I only give them a little bit on occasion, without sauce.

Jason's BBQ Adventures October 12, 2010 at 12:12 PM  

Love the humor, love the recipe and pictures.

Belinda @zomppa October 12, 2010 at 1:53 PM  

Haha! Terrier is too adorable, and what a classically beautiful dish.

Brie: Le Grand Fromage October 12, 2010 at 2:21 PM  

haha, very cute post. your dog is so adorable! i like to share my food with my dog, too, and she's well taken care of and happy to snack with me. great spaghetti recipe - it's one of my favorite foods!

Momo October 12, 2010 at 2:43 PM  

great post,lovely dog and a delicious dish!:)+beautiful pics!

Biren @ Roti n Rice October 12, 2010 at 3:38 PM  

Your pet knows a good dish when he smells it. Your pasta sauce sounds delicious. The next time I make spaghetti, I should try adding some wine.

Magic of Spice October 12, 2010 at 3:53 PM  

Beautiful pasta sauce!
Panchito has great taste, and Koko is 12 yr too...They could puppy sit Bella, when Tanantha needs some help, lol
Gorgeous photos as always :)

penny aka jeroxie October 12, 2010 at 4:30 PM  

My dog has a strong stomach too... love the part where you said he left room for people food.....! AR dogs.... :)

A Little Yumminess October 12, 2010 at 6:41 PM  

Great post and the sauce looks divine. Just yesterday by hubby was looking for a sauce recipe...next time we will make this

Claudia October 12, 2010 at 7:20 PM  

Mmmm loving that shpaghetti! Sweet and delicious posting.

Tanantha @ I Just Love My Apron October 12, 2010 at 8:13 PM  

I know exactly what you mean! Oh Scruffy Scrappy Terrier loves Shpaghetti? how funny and cute. Well, for this i would love it too!

Deeba PAB October 12, 2010 at 10:56 PM  

Love the sauce, love the pictures, and the post! Fun all the way!!

FamilySpice October 12, 2010 at 11:08 PM  

ha! ha! When we watch "Lady and the Tramp" with the kids we always want spaghetti and meatballs! Isn't it funny what a movie can evoke in us??

Lisa October 13, 2010 at 3:26 AM  

I loved that part of the movie, it was so sweet. Eating a plate of your spaghetti while watching it would be great.

Sommer October 13, 2010 at 5:23 AM  

Love this recipe- nice and garlicky!

Your dog is sooo cute. The staring at you in the middle night bit was pretty funny and cute!

You photos look amazing! Great work!!

Emily Malloy October 13, 2010 at 10:30 AM  

Best....

post....



everrr!!!!!!!!

I needed that giggle!

Stella October 13, 2010 at 10:37 AM  

Hey Nancy, this is so funny! That is really cute that you wake up in the night with Panchito staring at you-probably wondering why you're not awake to experience all that he is;-) Oh, and your pasta sauce sounds delicious. Sometimes I make my own and sometimes not-I will try yours for sure, since we love pasta night here.
p.s. I am more concerned with what's in commercial dog food than your noodles and sauce (smile)!

whatsfordinneracrossstatelines October 13, 2010 at 12:16 PM  

You had me laughing just with the title! I love your dogs name is Panchito, how cute! He's a lucky dog, making him homemade sauce. I love a little Italian sausage in my sauce, it makes it taste so good. Now you have me starving over here!
-Gina-

Dimah October 13, 2010 at 3:49 PM  

This sounds delicious! What a fantastic combination of ingredients.

Patty October 13, 2010 at 8:07 PM  

Panchito is adorable!!!!! And your pasta is out of this world delicious - I know two little girls that would thoroughly enjoy some of it. Also, you make me want to bust out the Godfather this weekend....

Conor @ Hold the Beef October 13, 2010 at 8:28 PM  

Who needs recipe books when you have movies?? Looks like it's evolved into a delicious sauce, and I'm glad you mentioned that Lady & the Tramp scene - it's the first thing that came to mind when you brought up your dog and shpagnetti!

tigerfish October 13, 2010 at 9:42 PM  

I love such saucey tomatoey sauce :)

Treat and Trick October 13, 2010 at 10:41 PM  

Your clicks are amazing! Looks so yum...

sensiblecooking October 14, 2010 at 5:04 PM  

oh my gosh that pasta looks so divine. The sauce, Must make the sauce. Yummy

Unknown October 14, 2010 at 8:26 PM  

Thanx Nancy for visiting & leaving a comment on my blog...Surely I will invite u to my next event...u r welcome to this event too :))
Lovely spagetti dish!!...in our house pasta comes around every week, atleast once...I put together Ragu and pasta for quick dinner...will try out ur recipe sometime!!:))

Karen October 15, 2010 at 6:52 PM  

Great post!
I'm always trying to make that perfect sauce...this one looks like a winner! Love thick and chunky sauces.

Nancy October 17, 2010 at 5:16 PM  

Thank you everyone for your comments. Panchito and I are glad you enjoyed his little story and favorite pasta recipe. We are looking forward to sharing another of his favorites soon.

Matt Kaufmann October 26, 2010 at 7:52 PM  

Haha! Great post. Dogs are such good people.

My dog is a walking vacuum and she always gets into the worst things. She got into the trash and ate coffee grounds a few months ago which cost us a trip to the vet. They are EXTREMELY bad for a dog much like chocolate.

On the flipside, when I make SHpaghetti and meatballsh, she always gets a meatball. Spoiled dogs. :D

Carolyn October 31, 2010 at 10:28 AM  

I would get a chilly feeling, waking up with anyone sitting on the bed staring at me! But I'd feel better after a plate of this pasta ;)

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog. I love to hear from my readers so please leave your thoughts or questions below. Thank You!

(**PLEASE notice that comments with links are sent to the spam filter. This is not a place for you to advertise yourself.**)

Buy or Sell Food Photos!

View My PortfolioRoyalty Free Images

Support Me By Clicking on These Links:

living in Czech Republic Expat Women - Helping Women Living OverseasTopOfBlogsBuy Foodie artHonest Cooking The Food Magazine, Spicie Foodie , contributor

Followers

©2009-2011 All recipes, articles, blog post, content, and images (*Unless otherwise stated*) are the sole property of Spicie Foodie and Nancy Lopez-McHugh. They should not be used without prior written consent. You can contact me here

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP