Healthy Spicy Squash Spread, Vegan

>> Saturday, October 16, 2010

squash; spread; Sauce; spicy; vegan; vegetable; bread spread; healthy; low fat; raw; carrot; cuisine; food; Fusion food; autumn; fall; pumpkin; kuri squash; Hokaido; white bread; rholik; snack
Are you tired of squash yet? You are probably thinking, "oh no not another squash recipe!" I promise this will be the last Kuri squash recipe and sadly it is also the last of my stash. Who knows maybe I'll pick up another when next time I see one at my local shop or perhaps I may be over my obsession. I don't know and can't make any promises.

Often times for breakfast, brunch or as a snack I like to have a slice of bread with some sort of spread. While I try to make healthy food choices when it comes to spreads it can very difficult to find a healthy, low calorie but still tasty spread. I am a label reader and many times readying all of the fatty ingredients and preservatives turns me off on certain spreads (and many foods). I'm not going to lie to you I will still purchase the fattier spreads but only once in a while. The other day I was really craving some bread with a creamy spread, but I wanted it spicy and the usual cheese spread was just not going to cut it. So this is what I came up with, a Healthy Low-Fat Spicy Squash Spread. Oh and a great plus to the recipe is that no animals were harmed in the making of the spread. It's Vegan! So I hope my Vegetarian buddies, Alisha (The Ardent Epicure) and Stella (The Witchy Kitchen) will appreciate my attempt. Is it weird if I dedicate this recipe to you lovely ladies? hm, well I do.

 squash; spread; Sauce; spicy; vegan; vegetable; bread spread; healthy; low fat; raw; carrot; cuisine; food; Fusion food; autumn; fall; pumpkin; kuri squash; Hokaido; white bread; rholik; snack
One last note I would like to add is that you could also just mix all of the ingredients instead of heating and cooking them. I get heartburn from raw garlic so I have to cook it before I can eat it. Raw garlic also burns my skin, does anyone else have this problem? OK, here is the recipe and hope you enjoy it. By the way I would like to apologize for my bad photos. No matter what I did I just couldn't get the color and light balanced, argh!

4 servings
Ingredients:
1 cup (220 grams) pureed squash
1 small carrot (40 grams) or 1 cup grated
handful chives, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp. salt, adjust to taste
pinch ground black pepper
chile flakes to taste, ( omit for a mild version)
2 tbsp. water
2 tbsp. olive oil

1. In a small saucepan heat the oil, then add the minced garlic and cook for 2 minutes. (Stir often to prevent burning.) Add the grated carrot and cook for 3 minutes to soften a bit, then add the chives and cook for a further 3 minutes. The chile flakes should be added next and mix until well combined. Lastly add the squash to the saucepan, stir and heat through. Sprinkle the salt and ground black pepper into the pan, stir until all ingredients are well combined. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely before serving. Allowing the spread to sit will also help all of the ingredients come together for a better tasting spread.

squash; spread; Sauce; spicy; vegan; vegetable; bread spread; healthy; low fat; raw; carrot; cuisine; food; Fusion food; autumn; fall; pumpkin; kuri squash; Hokaido; white bread; rholik; snack
Keep in the refrigerator and use within a few days.

And to finish this post I want to ask you guys to stop by Sommer's blog, Momma With Flavor, see this mouthwatering photo below? This is Sommer's delicious recipe for Autumn 3 Cheese Macaroni made with Kuri Squash, yum!. She so kindly and sweetly said "she(Nancy) inspired me to find great potential for this squash. Her addiction...erm..love for this lovely winter squash literally made my mouth water. Then the recipe she produced made me want to try this even more! " Isn't she a sweetie? When I read this it totally made my day and put a much needed smile on my face, thank you Sommer. You guys really have to stop by her blog and take a look at not only her Mac& Cheese creation but all of her delicious recipes. She is a very talented foodie with a beautiful family that inspires her kitchen creativity, with fantastic results I might add.

32 comments:

Heather S-G October 17, 2010 at 10:13 AM  

The spread sounds wonderful, and thankfully I do not have that problem with garlic...I would cry! Great break from the norm! And yes, her mac looks mouthwatering!

Dimah October 17, 2010 at 10:22 AM  

This looks and sounds very healthy and delicious! great idea.

Belinda @zomppa October 17, 2010 at 10:24 AM  

Nope, not tired of it yet - just starting the season and with such varieties like this, why would one get tired?

Sommer October 17, 2010 at 11:33 AM  

Totally meant it all! I am now a kuri squash addict! Used it to make the most awesome ravioli filling ever!! Must try this recipe!! Thanks again for mentioning me :)

Magic of Spice October 17, 2010 at 12:42 PM  

Nancy this is an amazing spread...just beautiful, and I think the photos are gorgeous! And thank you so much for thinking of me, you are so sweet :)
I am still smiling over the fact that we both were cooking with the same concept in mind :)
I will stop by to visit Sommer's blog, the mac n cheese looks wonderful!

Cristina, from Buenos Aires to Paris October 17, 2010 at 4:02 PM  

This is very original, and without a doubt, must be very tasteful !!!
Good job, Nancy!!

Stella October 17, 2010 at 4:07 PM  

Awe Nancy! You just made my night (smile but seriously). And this spread looks so delicious. I was looking at squash today at Whole Foods, but I was drawing a blank at what to make with it. I'm going to make this for sure! It looks so good in that close up pic...
p.s. My Mom has been instructed by her doctor to wear gloves while cutting garlic and onions. They burn the skin on her hands too!

tigerfish October 17, 2010 at 6:59 PM  

That is good healthy spread! I like it.

Amy October 17, 2010 at 7:53 PM  

This looks so good! I love squash, and have added it to hummus before, but this looks like an awesome spread as well :)!

Lisa October 17, 2010 at 8:45 PM  

I would love to spread my bread with this. So much better than butter.

penny aka jeroxie October 18, 2010 at 12:50 AM  

There is nothing wrong with more squash recipes.

Monet October 18, 2010 at 1:15 AM  

I don't think I could ever tire of squash...especially when it is made into such a tasty spread. I love dips that I can serve with fresh bread. Thank you for sharing this (and that macaroni...wow!) And thank you so much for your kind words on my blog...they are so appreciated during this difficult time.

Roxan October 18, 2010 at 1:38 AM  

Nancy, I would never think "not another squash recipe"! And even if i did i would totally change my mind after seeing this post. This looks so good. YUM

Elin Chia October 18, 2010 at 3:58 AM  

ohhhh this looks delish...I guess it must be tasty as a spread :)

Treat and Trick October 18, 2010 at 4:48 AM  

Sounds healthy and delicious, you always amaze me with your photo..

Simply Life October 18, 2010 at 8:06 AM  

Looks like the perfect autumn meal!

Jillyann October 18, 2010 at 10:34 AM  

Oh my goodness Nancy...I have to make that squash spread! That looks absolutely fabulous. I'm always looking for new ideas for vegan sandwiches and spreads. I bet that would be so delicious with some toasted pumpkin seeds on top too.

Emily Malloy October 18, 2010 at 11:10 AM  

Looks delicious!! Send some to me please!

January October 19, 2010 at 7:34 AM  

mac looks delicious!!! and hey, i'm fairly new to the "eat healthy" brigade but i must say, if i have to eat your healthy spicy squash spread, i won't have second thoughts :)

She's Cookin' October 19, 2010 at 11:18 AM  

I have a butternut squash sitting on my counter that I have to make tonight! Your spread looks like just the ticket: healthy and easy. And, I will check out Sommer's Mac&Cheese, yummmm

whatsfordinneracrossstatelines October 19, 2010 at 12:09 PM  

Okay, I want one of those squashes. I haven't been able to find any over here. I love the idea of a healthy spread for bread. I agree Sommer's mac and cheese rocks!
-Gina-

Unknown October 20, 2010 at 9:57 AM  

I'm loving the colors of this delicious looking squash spread, oh and it looks so healthy;) I love squash and am always looking for creative recipes like this one, thanks for sharing Nancy.

FamilySpice October 20, 2010 at 10:24 AM  

That mac & cheese looks soooo good! The colors are beautiful. I love squash. I think I need to go find me some!

Juliana October 20, 2010 at 2:34 PM  

Nancy, this spread looks delicious...love the color of it.

Biren @ Roti n Rice October 20, 2010 at 7:55 PM  

That's a wonderful and healthy looking spread. Very creative too I might add.

Nancy October 20, 2010 at 8:41 PM  

Thank you all, as always for your sweet comments that make me smile everyday :)

@Stella, Thanks for the tip, I have to try the gloves. The only problem is that I'm allergic to latex gloves and I haven't found plastic ones yet. Ok, I'm also stubborn and avoid the gloves that never fit my almost child-sized hands :)

Anonymous,  October 20, 2010 at 10:50 PM  

I love kuri squash and your spread sounds too good to be true. How I want a slice of home made bread topped with your squash spread, yummy

Anonymous,  October 21, 2010 at 9:43 AM  

I just love this spread, the color is just fantastic. Truly love it!

By the way, you have been tagged:

http://ravienomnoms.wordpress.com/2010/10/21/magic-soup/

Sara October 21, 2010 at 11:03 AM  

I think your photos look great, but I understand your frustration. I could use a lot of help with mine.

The sound of your spread is just divine. I mentioned you on my latest post!

Savoring Italy October 21, 2010 at 9:49 PM  

That looks so good! I think your photos are gorgeous. I also love that kuri macaroni you shared.

Chef Dennis Littley October 23, 2010 at 8:42 AM  

this is the first year I have really done more than just butternut squash, I am finding out just how versatile it is from all my friends!

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog. I love to hear from my readers so please leave your thoughts or questions below. Thank You!

(**PLEASE notice that comments with links are sent to the spam filter. This is not a place for you to advertise yourself.**)

Buy or Sell Food Photos!

View My PortfolioRoyalty Free Images

Support Me By Clicking on These Links:

living in Czech Republic Expat Women - Helping Women Living OverseasTopOfBlogsBuy Foodie artHonest Cooking The Food Magazine, Spicie Foodie , contributor

Followers

©2009-2011 All recipes, articles, blog post, content, and images (*Unless otherwise stated*) are the sole property of Spicie Foodie and Nancy Lopez-McHugh. They should not be used without prior written consent. You can contact me here

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP