Fresh Figs with Prosciutto and Spiced Balsamic Glaze

>> Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Figs; prosciutto; ham; spiced; balsamic; glaze; sauce; smoked; arugula; green; white; plate; food; Fresh; Fusion food; fruit; meat; cuisine; organic; salad; cured ham
Today I have one of my favorite Autumn recipes to share with you. It's flattop grilled fresh figs wrapped in prosciutto and arugula and drizzled with spiced balsamic glaze. Sounds fancy and delicious doesn't it? Well delicious it is and it is a great way to impress your family or dinner guest by serving them this hassle free, fairly inexpensive, appetizer wrapped in a lavish bow. I have been preparing this dish for several years and it's one that I can highly recommend for a dinner party or for a treat for your family. Besides fresh figs are in season right now and this is a great recipe to keep handy during fig season.

Figs; prosciutto; ham; spiced; balsamic; glaze; sauce; smoked; arugula; green; white; plate; food; Fresh; Fusion food; fruit; meat; cuisine; organic; salad; cured ham
I will be keeping this post rather short today, I am so swamped with work on my 'big project" I mentioned in passing a couple of post ago. I can't wait to share it with all of you but first I need to complete it. I may not be able to stop by all of your sites in the coming days, so I apologize. But I will stop by as I get small breaks to do so. Well, on to the recipe and hope you like it as much as I do.

Figs; prosciutto; ham; spiced; balsamic; glaze; sauce; smoked; arugula; green; white; plate; food; Fresh; Fusion food; fruit; meat; cuisine; organic; salad; cured ham
for 2 figs
2 figs, cut into 1/4ths
2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. olive oil
1 tsp. honey
pinch salt
pinch ground black pepper
1/8 tsp. garlic powder
prosciutto or other cured ham
arugula

1. In a small cup combine the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, honey, salt, pepper and garlic stirring until the spices have combined well into the vinegar. Rinse both the arugula and figs, cut each fig into 1/4 pieces.

2. Heat a nonstick pan,grill or griddle over medium heat. Place the figs skin down and cook for 2 minutes, drizzle a little of the vinegar mix over each piece. Turn the fig pieces on their sides, cook for another 2 minutes and drizzle a little more vinegar mix. Repeat one more time to cook on the last remaining side. Remove from heat and allow to cool until you can comfortably handle the fig.

3. Place one arugula leaf on top of the fig piece then wrap a piece of prosciutto around the fig and arugula. Repeat until each fig pieces is wrapped. Serve as an appetizer alone or alongside a small salad and baguette.

Figs; prosciutto; ham; spiced; balsamic; glaze; sauce; smoked; arugula; green; white; plate; food; Fresh; Fusion food; fruit; meat; cuisine; organic; salad; cured ham
I have to admit that I like this dish so much that I will just have it as my dinner. I serve it with a small salad made of the extra arugula and balsamic glaze drizzled over it and fresh baked baguette from the corner bakery. Add a glass of your favorite red wine , now that's heavenly!
Figs; prosciutto; ham; spiced; balsamic; glaze; sauce; smoked; arugula; green; white; plate; food; Fresh; Fusion food; fruit; meat; cuisine; organic; salad; cured ham

18 comments:

Magic of Spice October 6, 2010 at 12:52 PM  

This is a gorgeous dish for sure...Would be a lovely addition to any dinner. I would have to leave the ham off of mine, but I am with you...A glass of wine and some fresh bead = A perfect meal :)
Beautiful photos as always Nancy :)

Stella October 6, 2010 at 1:22 PM  

Yum, Nancy! You know, I've never done much with a fig besides just pluck it off the tree in my Mom's neighborhood and pop it in my mouth (smile). They taste like caramel when they are allowed to fully ripen...
Your photos of this traditional dish are beautiful, and I know it's good b/c you made it;)! In fact, I bet these are better than all of the ones I've tasted at my restaurants...

Emily Malloy October 6, 2010 at 1:28 PM  

Gorgeous isn't even the word for this! Doesn't do it justice!

This is absolutely lovely.

Roxan October 6, 2010 at 2:38 PM  

This looks awesome Nancy, I love figs. Thank you :)
Can't wait to hear about this big project of yours!

Belinda @zomppa October 6, 2010 at 3:04 PM  

This is stunning! Gorgeous presentation.

Anonymous,  October 6, 2010 at 3:53 PM  

Sometimes the most simple recipes are the best. It's all about good quality ingredients. The figs
look so fresh and are perfect with prosciutto.

Evan @swEEts October 6, 2010 at 4:24 PM  

You had me at prosciutto.. can't get enough of the stuff.. and with figs? I could eat at least 10 of these ha

Tanantha @ I Just Love My Apron October 6, 2010 at 4:44 PM  

These are gorgeous figs ever! salty from prosiutto, and sweet from figs hmm..yum!
Can't wait to see what you've been up to Nancy. You should give us a hint :D

FamilySpice October 6, 2010 at 7:08 PM  

Classic combinations! Love figs!

Conor @ Hold the Beef October 6, 2010 at 8:27 PM  

Gorgeous little morsels. Can't wait until fig season here!!

penny aka jeroxie October 7, 2010 at 2:34 AM  

It is heavenly. Anything with figs is heavenly.

Tiffany October 7, 2010 at 10:51 AM  

Looks fantastic, I'm going to make this for the next party, thanks for sharing!

Anonymous,  October 8, 2010 at 11:02 PM  

Excellent! I love the sound of the spiced balsamic glaze!

Unknown October 9, 2010 at 1:25 AM  

This combination of ingredients would be one of my favorites Nancy and as usual beautifully photographed. I love the balsamic glaze and of course the arugula. I just had a dish similar to this with toasted hazelnuts;)

fromBAtoParis October 9, 2010 at 5:34 AM  

i just love it !!!! Well done!

Karen October 11, 2010 at 11:21 AM  

I love the flavors of the spiced balsamic glaze. This dish is beautiful...very elegant appetizer!

She's Cookin' October 11, 2010 at 3:53 PM  

An elegant and deliciously simple appetizer - or dinner with the proper accompaniments :) Love all the flavors!

Simply Life October 14, 2010 at 8:05 AM  

oh what a great combination of flavors -this looks amazing!

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog. I love to hear from my readers so please leave your thoughts or questions below. Thank You!

(**PLEASE notice that comments with links are sent to the spam filter. This is not a place for you to advertise yourself.**)

Buy or Sell Food Photos!

View My PortfolioRoyalty Free Images

Support Me By Clicking on These Links:

living in Czech Republic Expat Women - Helping Women Living OverseasTopOfBlogsBuy Foodie artHonest Cooking The Food Magazine, Spicie Foodie , contributor

Followers

©2009-2011 All recipes, articles, blog post, content, and images (*Unless otherwise stated*) are the sole property of Spicie Foodie and Nancy Lopez-McHugh. They should not be used without prior written consent. You can contact me here

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP