Taqutios, the taste of home

>> Saturday, July 17, 2010

taquitos; Mexican; ingredients; fried; baked; healthy; chicken; beef; pork; low fat; tomato; onion; chili pepper; green; garlic; tortillas; corn; spices; recipes; easy; cuisine; how to; feta cheese; crumbled cheese; sour cream; avocado; cilantro; plateTaquitos (ta-key-toes) are small Mexican tacos that are made with a corn tortilla , a filling is added then rolled up and fried into a crunchy taquito. In Spanish when you use a word ending in "ito" or "ita" it can means that something is being called little, cute or even sweet. ( For example my love is mi amor but using this diminutive form one would say mi amorsito.) Spanish lesson aside, you may also know these taquitos as flautas ( which means a flute -because they resemble one) or even as tacos dorados which means golden or fried tacos. The typical or most common filling for these taquitos is shredded beef or shredded chicken, well at least in the area of Mexico I am from. I've heard of other fillings being used like potatoes, which sound yummy to me. The taquitos are usually served quite simple with some salsa maybe even some guacamole and shredded lettuce, simple yet delicious.

The day before making these I wanted to defrost the beef so it would be ready to boil in the morning. Well I somehow made the mistake of not really looking at the label of the frozen package and I accidently grabbed pork. I didn't notice until the next day when I went to the refrigerator to grab the meat. I decided to continue anyways and see what happened , how bad could they be right. Well let me tell you these were so so so delicious that I'm glad I made the mistake. Both my husband and I were like yum, yum stuffing our faces, hehe. It was a quiet dinner because we were too busy chowing down to speak a word, only looks and smiles of satisfaction were exchanged. We can't wait to have these again, soon! Well on to the recipe then.

taquitos; Mexican; ingredients; fried; baked; healthy; chicken; beef; pork; low fat; tomato; onion; chili pepper; green; garlic; tortillas; corn; spices; recipes; easy; cuisine; how to; feta cheese; crumbled cheese; sour cream; avocado; cilantro; plateYour Ingredients:
400 grams boneless Pork/Beef or Chicken
1 Tbs. vegetable oil
1 Roma Tomato
1 or 2 green chillies
1 small yellow onion
3 garlic cloves
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. ground cumin seed
12 corn tortillas
toothpicks
oil for frying

Toppings:
shredded iceberg lettuce
sour cream or crema
salsa
crumbled Mexican Queso Fresco or feta cheese
avocado


1. The Pork needs to be boiled allowed to cool and then shredded. Once the pork is ready to be used prepare the rest of the ingredients. Finely dice the onion,chillies, mince the garlic and roughly dice the tomato. Heat 1 Tbs. of vegetable oil and saute the onion until transparent then add the chillies and garlic and saute for another 3 minutes then add the tomatoes and again saute for another 3 minutes. Next add the shredded pork to the pan and sprinkle the spices over the pork, mix to well combine all ingredients. Cook the pork mixture for 10 minutes then set aside to cool down.

2. It's important to set up a smooth assembly line to prepare and cook your taquitos in order for the process to move along fast and smoothly. In a deep pan heat about 1/2 cup of vegetable to fry the taquitos. Next place half of the tortillas on top of a clean kitchen towel or paper towels and wrap the towel around the tortillas to cover. Heat the tortillas in the microwave for 1 minute on medium heat. You want them only warm enough to be flexible enough to work with and roll up with out cracking.

3. Grab one warm tortilla and place some of the shredded pork towards one end of the tortilla and spread in a horizontal line. Tuck in the tortilla , as in the photo below, and roll up to form the taquitos. Use toothpicks to hold the shape for frying. ( Make sure to not over stuff the taquitos or the filling will fall out. ) Place the taquito in the hot oil and fry for a few minutes on both sides or until it turns brown and is crispy. Drain them on top of paper towels. Repeat this process until all of the tortillas and meat have been used up.
taquitos; Mexican; ingredients; fried; baked; healthy; chicken; beef; pork; low fat; tomato; onion; chili pepper; green; garlic; tortillas; corn; spices; recipes; easy; cuisine; how to; feta cheese; crumbled cheese; sour cream; avocado; cilantro; plate

Once all of the taquitos are fried and ready to serve you can begin topping them.

taquitos; Mexican; ingredients; fried; baked; healthy; chicken; beef; pork; low fat; tomato; onion; chili pepper; green; garlic; tortillas; corn; spices; recipes; easy; cuisine; how to; feta cheese; crumbled cheese; sour cream; avocado; cilantro; plate
Simple Tomato salsa:
4 Roma tomatoes
1 red chili ( more or less according to your taste)
1 small yellow onion
handful fresh cilantro
pinch salt
pinch black pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. dried oregano

blender

1. Clean and quarter the tomatoes,chili and onion then place inside blender. Add the remaining ingredients and blend until you have a smooth salsa.

This very simple salsa is great as a topping or to enjoy with corn chips for dipping.

When I lived at home and my Mom or Sister would make taquitos for dinner my belly was always very happy. I haven't had these in such a long time and had forgotten how scrumptious these really are. As I took my first bite and tasted the salsa and crunchy taco I was instantly reminiscing of many a diner night in my parent's house. They may have been a little bit of work but well worth all the effort. By the way these are fried which in my house is not a very common occurrence but due to the inferno I mean heat wave we are having turning on the oven was completely out of the question, so we had to endure the extra fried calories. As soon as the weather cools down I will try these out in the oven and keep you updated.


taquitos; Mexican; ingredients; fried; baked; healthy; chicken; beef; pork; low fat; tomato; onion; chili pepper; green; garlic; tortillas; corn; spices; recipes; easy; cuisine; how to; feta cheese; crumbled cheese; sour cream; avocado; cilantro; plate

I am participating in Penny's ( Jeroxie -Addictive & Consuming) International Incident Party. This challenge theme is Tacos!
International Incident Party



And if you are looking for more taco recipes have a look at my other tacos.



36 comments:

Frank July 17, 2010 at 9:37 PM  

Real Mexican food is so wonderful! Alas, it is so rare to find in restaurants... a bit like real Italian food. ;)

You know, I've been attempting authentic Mexican dishes at home and this will be definitely on my list of dishes recipes of try!

penny aka jeroxie July 17, 2010 at 10:43 PM  

I am learning so much more about mexican tacos. wil definitely be attempting this. sounds absolutely delicious. thanks for joining! :)

Gwen July 17, 2010 at 11:06 PM  

Wonderful!! I can't bring myself to eat "Mecican" food at a resteraunt either. Authentic means doing it yourself, you look like you have it mastered! Great pics too!

Magic of Spice July 17, 2010 at 11:55 PM  

Wow, these are perfect and the step by step is great...and thank you so much for the background info:) The photos are astonishing and I wish I could come and stay with you to learn more from you...

Emma @CakeMistress July 18, 2010 at 12:06 AM  

Wowzers, I love these tasty looking taquitos. Thanks for sharing

Belinda @zomppa July 18, 2010 at 12:58 AM  

The crunchiness makes this perfect!

tam - a little bit burnt July 18, 2010 at 1:27 AM  

These look fantastic! Can't wait to try- I've always loved taquitos!

Unknown July 18, 2010 at 4:13 AM  

You went old school. I love taquitos!

Anonymous,  July 18, 2010 at 7:11 AM  

These look great (I'm always looking for Mexican recipes I can make in the UK since authentic ingredients are hard to come by)! I'll be interested to see the baked version too, since I'm not a big fan of deep-fried food. Nice pictures too!

Cherrie Pie July 18, 2010 at 7:15 AM  

I love the idea of frying after being filled. Looks so yummy

Simply Life July 18, 2010 at 7:56 AM  

oh my gosh. that looks AMAZING!!!

Christine Ho July 18, 2010 at 8:02 AM  

I love Mexican food, but only made the first tacos at home ever because of this International party. I learned much from reading your post here. Thanks for sharing.

Jillyann July 18, 2010 at 9:15 AM  

I want to eat that RIGHT NOW! I don't care that it's breakfast time...I want THAT!

momgateway July 18, 2010 at 10:01 AM  

Thanks for posting...taquitos are my son's fav snack!

Liv Wan July 18, 2010 at 10:43 AM  

Hi Nancy,
I have never tried this Taqutios before but I know it's must be really really tasty and super yummy. It's hard for me to find the real Mexican food in Edinburgh but thankfully have you to share those wonderful and authentic recipe in my life. :)

Tasty Trix July 18, 2010 at 1:10 PM  

Just beautiful photos. and such a creative way to join the taco party! I love your blog, by the way.

Heather S-G July 18, 2010 at 4:23 PM  

Beautiful =) Flautas are pretty much a staple in our house...yours are definitely making me hungry!! My (Mexican) husband is the master at rolling & frying them...without using toothpicks!! He's taught me...but mine don't stay as tightly rolled as his do...one day. LOL...delicious!

Evelyne@CheapEthnicEatz July 18, 2010 at 5:17 PM  

Oh, frying with the filling....very interesting. Love your results..even with pork lol.

Duffy July 19, 2010 at 8:21 AM  

These look delicious! My partner and I will definitely be trying them!

Carol Egbert July 19, 2010 at 10:43 AM  

Crunchy goodness. This looks delicious. Thanks for a great post!

Tanantha @ I Just Love My Apron July 19, 2010 at 2:00 PM  

Love it! Fried tortillas are my favorite. Thanks for the Spanish lesson and makes it easy for me to remember name and associate it with the food when I order! Beautiful photos too.

zerrin July 19, 2010 at 7:11 PM  

This looks so appetizing! We have a similar dish in turkey, but we don't fry it. I love the fillng and topping you make here.

Agnes July 20, 2010 at 7:50 AM  

Yes you know it's a good meal when everyone goes quiet when eating. ;) They look really lovely!

Unknown July 20, 2010 at 10:19 AM  

Beautiful photos! Love your taquitos, they looks and sound fantastic. I could gobble up a plate of these right now :D

Cookin' Canuck July 20, 2010 at 12:05 PM  

These would be a huge hit in our house. What a wonderful recipe!

Chef Dennis Littley July 20, 2010 at 4:16 PM  

your taqutios look so delicious.....I wish I could find food like that around here!

Brie: Le Grand Fromage July 20, 2010 at 4:43 PM  

yum, i haven't had taquitos in a while. yours look scrumptious! great job!

Nancy July 25, 2010 at 9:52 AM  

Thank you all for your comments :)

Conor @ Hold the Beef July 30, 2010 at 7:06 AM  

And again I find myself foolishly reading your blog before I've had my dinner! Stupid! Looks so delicious and I think you made the perfect mistake with your wayward freezer grabbing :)

Nancy August 2, 2010 at 9:20 AM  

Hi Conor,
You are so funny :) and thanks!

Magda September 19, 2010 at 9:47 PM  

I love tacos, taquitos and anything that's Mexican. I'm lucky to live in Miami where's plenty of awesome, authentic Mexican taco places. About a week ago I ate these amazing rajas tacos with poblano peppers, onions and cream. They were out of this world, even my boyfriend who hates all kinds of peppers loved them. I'm actually planning to reproduce these at home this week, I hope they'll come out as good as in this place.

Nancy September 26, 2010 at 8:41 AM  

Hi Magda,
OMG yes rajas are so incredibly good! You should also try them in tamales, my sister made the best raja tamales. I'll be checking your site to see if you try them, can't wait:)

Anonymous,  February 3, 2011 at 10:49 AM  

Hi, this sounds soo delicious! We're big spice fans here so will definately be back for more recipes. Great blog :)

muppy March 20, 2011 at 9:07 PM  

i love the look of this one, delicious.

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog. I love to hear from my readers so please leave your thoughts or questions below. Thank You!

(**PLEASE notice that comments with links are sent to the spam filter. This is not a place for you to advertise yourself.**)

Buy or Sell Food Photos!

View My PortfolioRoyalty Free Images

Support Me By Clicking on These Links:

living in Czech Republic Expat Women - Helping Women Living OverseasTopOfBlogsBuy Foodie artHonest Cooking The Food Magazine, Spicie Foodie , contributor

Followers

©2009-2011 All recipes, articles, blog post, content, and images (*Unless otherwise stated*) are the sole property of Spicie Foodie and Nancy Lopez-McHugh. They should not be used without prior written consent. You can contact me here

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP