Mexican Chorizo Tacos

>> Tuesday, April 20, 2010

potatoes; chopped; diced; chorizo; raw; fresh; Mexican; Tortillas; corn tortillas; oil; green; white; yellow; black; background; plate; taco; ingredients; food

Tacos de Chorizo y papas or Chorizo and potato Tacos, yum! Two previous post here on Spicie Foodie I shared my recipe for homemade Mexican chorizo, and here is the first recipe to use the Chorizo. If you are lucky enough to have fresh Mexican chorizo available at your local grocery or Mexican food stores , that chorizo will works just fine. The only thing you'll have to with the commercial chorizo is remove it from the casing. Chorizo can come in either natural/edible casings or in plastic casings. If it's plastic just remove the chorizo from the plastic. If the casing is edible then you need to remove it when it's being fried, just start removing the chorizo to break up. What ever the case may be with the chorizo you have on hand it will need to resemble broken up ground meat when cooked.
These tacos have always been one of my favorites since I was little. I just love the way chorizo taste on it's on or when combined with other flavors. I can remember being a little girl in Mexico and going to the taqueria (taco restaurant) or taco stand to grab some tacos. Mmmm the way the chorizo looked and smelled as it was being fried, ah good memories. Well besides being so amazingly good these tacos are also really easy to make. Great for nights or days when you don't have a lot of time to spend on cooking.
One last thing before we move on to the recipe, the amounts I used can be altered as to your personal preference. Perhaps you want more or less of either the chorizo or potato, play around to see what you like. Tacos are normally made using two tortillas on top of each other then topped with your ingredients. But since I have to make my own tortillas , I just use one layer, it's your call.


tacos; taco; ingredients; toppings; toping; tomato; jalapenos; onion; chopped; fresh; raw; cooking; Mexican; recipes

Your ingredients:
(serves 2-3)

300 grams or a little over 1/2 lb. Chorizo ( store bought chorizo 2 links)
3 medium potatoes
1 small onion
Corn tortillas
corn oil or sunflower oil

taco; tacos; Mexican; food; fresh; recipes; potatoes; cooking; chorizo; black; green; yellow

Optional toppings :
Salsa
Jalapenos or hot peppers
avocado
finely chopped onion and/or tomatoes
fresh cilantro

1. Peel and dice the potatoes, they need to be small. You can either boil the potatoes for a lighter calorie version or the normal way is to add a couple of tablespoons of oil to a hot pan and fry the potatoes until they have cooked through. If you are boiling the potatoes , drain and set aside. If frying the potatoes , after they have softened remove from the pan and set aside. Next in the same pan add the chorizo and fry until it's cooked all the way through about 10-15 minutes. Drain some of the oil, then add the potatoes back in. Cook for another 5-8 minutes until the ingredients are well combined.
2. Warm up the tortillas and place some of the chorizo mixture in the center. You can either serve on it's on like this..

three; 3; taco; tacos; Mexican; chorizo; potatoes; green; plate; corn tortillas; black; yellow; white; fork; knife; cooking; recipes; food; fresh; cuisine; gastronomy

Or top with some salsa or any of the optional toppings suggestions, this is how I like to eat mine sometimes...

Taco ingredients and toppings tomatoes, jalepanos and chopped onion.

Either way you choose these chorizo potato tacos are so good! Serve with a cold Mexican beer or some aguas frescas and you'll have yourself a authentic Mexican meal. Buen Provecho!

16 comments:

Madhuri Krishna Bhat April 20, 2010 at 12:32 PM  

Mexican tacos looks delicious.One of my fav

Cookin' Canuck April 20, 2010 at 3:56 PM  

I have some chorizo sitting in my fridge and was trying to decide what to do with it. You have definitely given me inspiration!

Catherine April 20, 2010 at 11:29 PM  

This looks wonderful! My mouth is watering!

Biren April 21, 2010 at 10:03 AM  

This looks delicious...perfect for lunch!

Liv Wan April 21, 2010 at 7:52 PM  

Hi Nancy,
How are you?
I'm nominating you for the Happy 101 award because I love reading your blog.

Your blog always make me drool in front of my laptop lol!

Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey April 21, 2010 at 10:22 PM  

What a great idea. Looks and sounds really delicious. My kids love Tacos and this little change would be very much appreciated in my house.

Nancy April 22, 2010 at 8:53 AM  

Thank you all for visiting, hope you all enjoy making and tasting these Tacos!

Hi Liv, Wow Thanks so much and I'm glad to hear it :) It's funny because I was just given the award by Elin of Elinluv's Tidbits Corner and you are on my list of people to give to, hehe!

TasteHongKong April 22, 2010 at 11:01 AM  

Greedily, I'd love to have all the toppings and a larger amount of chorizo : ).

Scott K April 22, 2010 at 1:25 PM  

I have SUCH a weakness for chorizo!

Tasty Eats At Home April 22, 2010 at 1:44 PM  

Love love love me some chorizo! This sounds so good.

Lea Ann April 23, 2010 at 4:15 PM  

I've been on a taco craze for two weeks. I just made a breakfast taco with potatoes and chorizo and loved it. Haven't blogged about it yet, but it's in the wings. I've never made home made chorizo. I really should give it a try. These look wonderful.

Sushma Mallya April 24, 2010 at 2:20 AM  

Beautiful tacos, beautiful blog....

Nancy April 25, 2010 at 10:50 AM  

@ TasteH.K. - iIt's all about making it as you like it :)

@Scott- I know me too :)

@Tasty Eats- Hope you try it soon!

@Lea Ann - Would love to see your blog's recipe & photos:)

@Sushma - Thank you :)

Brie: Le Grand Fromage May 1, 2010 at 3:09 PM  

these look delicious! i love finding new recipes for chorizo, and the toppings are great! yum!

Nancy May 2, 2010 at 10:40 AM  

Thanks Brie and hope you enjoy it :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog. I love to hear from my readers so please leave your thoughts or questions below. Thank You!

(**PLEASE notice that comments with links are sent to the spam filter. This is not a place for you to advertise yourself.**)

Buy or Sell Food Photos!

View My PortfolioRoyalty Free Images

Support Me By Clicking on These Links:

living in Czech Republic Expat Women - Helping Women Living OverseasTopOfBlogsBuy Foodie artHonest Cooking The Food Magazine, Spicie Foodie , contributor

Followers

©2009-2011 All recipes, articles, blog post, content, and images (*Unless otherwise stated*) are the sole property of Spicie Foodie and Nancy Lopez-McHugh. They should not be used without prior written consent. You can contact me here

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP