Blood Orange Zest Rolls

>> Wednesday, April 14, 2010


A couple of weeks ago I posted a recipe for Czech Easter sweet rolls, I liked the taste and texture so much that I decided to make them again. But this time I experimented a bit with different ingredients like adding the blood orange zest, vanilla and almonds. The results were yummy, yielding a slightly fruity and sweeter version. Honestly I liked these better than the recipe from the book.

The idea of the blood orange zest came when I looked in my spice cabinet to see what dried zest or citrus peels I had available. You see I like to remove and dry the peels from all sorts of citrus fruits to use in cooking and baking. You don't have to worry about using dried zest if you have some fresh blood oranges or oranges to use that will be just fine. Outside of Europe Vanilla sugar is not very popular so you may have a hard time finding it in other countries. I use it as a cheaper alternative to the hard to find vanilla extract. But don't worry see the recipe below to see how you can substitute the vanilla sugar with the extract.

Your Ingredients:
400 grams or 3 cups fine or medium grain flour
30 grams or 1 oz fresh yeast
40 grams or 1.41 oz Castor sugar
2 TB vanilla sugar ( or substitute 1 tsp. vanilla extract)
250 ml or a little over 1 cup milk, luke warm
pinch of salt
60 grams or 2 oz of butter
2 egg yolks (reserve the egg whites)
2 tsp dried blood orange zest ( can replace with orange zest )
slivered almonds for topping

extra flour for rolling
butter or oil to grease the baking pan

1. Melt the butter and set aside to allow to come to room temperature. In a small bowl break up the fresh yeast then add half the sugar and about 100 ml or 1/2 cup of milk. Allow the yeast to rise, about 5 minutes.
2. Mix the remaining white sugar and the vanilla sugar into the remaining milk and set aside. In a separate bowl combine the salt, zest and flour, make a well in the center. Once the yeast mixture is ready add it, the melted butter and remaining milk to the the flour. With a large wooden spoon start mixing the mixture until it comes together. You can begin kneading the mixture into a smooth dough for about 10 minutes (adding extra flour if needed). Cover and leave to rise until it has doubled in size, about an hour.


3. Preheat oven to 200c or 392f. On a floured surface knead the dough once again then cut into equal sized pieces/balls. Roll each into desired shapes, grease a baking pan, place the rolls on the baking sheet and brush egg whites over each bread. Leave bread to rise for another 5 minutes. Bake until they are golden brown 10-15 minutes.

Allow to cool down before serving.


I'm also excited to have found a great site called Wild Yeast! . This will be my first submission to their YeastSpotting , check it out lots of great recipes. And if you're like me and need an extra motivation to keep practicing and learning more about baking you'll love submitting to the site.

25 comments:

Paula - bell'alimento April 15, 2010 at 10:10 AM  

Oh my goodness! DELICIOUS. I love anything with blood oranges and hello bread! YUM!

Biren April 15, 2010 at 10:20 AM  

These look delicious! I am a big fan of homemade breads and buns.

Elin Chia April 15, 2010 at 10:46 AM  

A delightful roll...thanks for sharing the recipe. I love buns and rolls :))

Elin Chia April 15, 2010 at 10:47 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susan/Wild Yeast April 15, 2010 at 11:25 AM  

These look and sound fabulous -- I love blood oranges! Thank you for joining YeastSpotting!

Madhuri Krishna Bhat April 15, 2010 at 11:31 AM  

Fruit and Nutty Flavours. Looks delicious

Anonymous,  April 16, 2010 at 3:56 AM  

These look wonderful. Good think to know that I can substitute with regular orange zest, as I have not see blood oranges in Bulgaria!

Nancy April 16, 2010 at 9:20 AM  

Thank you all for your comments :)
@ Susan/Wild Yeast - thank you for the opportunity.
@ Casey - You'll find a lot of tips on substitute ingredients here :)

Rick April 16, 2010 at 10:15 AM  

Blood orange in bread? Sign me up.

Anna April 16, 2010 at 1:55 PM  

Mmmm! I Love blood orange, I'm always looking for recipes that use them, they are so pretty. Your bread looks yummy.

Mimi April 16, 2010 at 2:18 PM  

Citrus zest is so good for you. What a great idea to dry it to save for later.

Beautiful rolls!

Memória April 17, 2010 at 12:48 AM  

These zest rolls are so lovely. Thank you for sharing how to shape them. I, too, found you on yeastspotting. Your blog is lovely!

How did you get those unique, social-networking buttons?!

bunkycooks,  April 17, 2010 at 9:22 AM  

Wow! I love the smell of fresh bread and I bet it is really terrific with the blood orange zest. Yum!

TasteHongKong April 17, 2010 at 12:09 PM  

Dried citrus zests (we call it tangerine peels) are always available in my stock. They are usually used for making Chinese soups and steaming fishes. But I would love to add them in these rolls or breads alike when I bake them next time. Thanks for sharing.

Mae April 18, 2010 at 12:50 PM  

OH, they're so pretty! I love the flavor combo...

Brie: Le Grand Fromage April 18, 2010 at 5:57 PM  

yum, these look delicious! i love the addition of the blood orange and almonds.

Conor @ HoldtheBeef April 18, 2010 at 8:06 PM  

These look delicious! I'd love to try some blood orange zest. Sadly, blood oranges aren't really found around here though.

Nadji April 19, 2010 at 3:52 AM  

Ces brioches semblent délicieuses.
BRAVO!!!!!

Nancy April 19, 2010 at 11:02 AM  

@ Rick, Anna, Mimi - Thank you :)

@ Memoria- Thank you, just Google Social Bookmarks and you'll come across them. Sorry I can't find the link.

@Bunky. Mae, Brie, Connor - Thank you :)

@TasteHongKong- You could also use the tangerine zest it's just as yummy!

@Nadjibella- Merci !

Chef Dennis Littley April 20, 2010 at 5:24 AM  

these look so good....I love blood oranges!! I am so glad I found your site!
Cheers
Dennis

Elin Chia April 20, 2010 at 5:59 AM  

Hi Spicie Foodie,
Thanks for sharing so many yummy stuff here. And I have an award for you , do drop by to collect it when you are free :)

Nancy April 20, 2010 at 8:40 AM  

@ Chef Dennis, Thank you :) I'm going to stop by your blog.

@Elin, Hi, thank you I'm glad you enjoy Spicie Foodie :) Ok I'll pay you a visit.

Rosa's Yummy Yums April 25, 2010 at 6:15 AM  

Those rolls look fantastic! Lovely flavors!

Cheers,

Rosa

Nancy April 25, 2010 at 10:56 AM  

Hi Simply Life & Rosa , Thank you both :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog. I love to hear from my readers so please leave your thoughts or questions below. Thank You!

(**PLEASE notice that comments with links are sent to the spam filter. This is not a place for you to advertise yourself.**)

Buy or Sell Food Photos!

View My PortfolioRoyalty Free Images

Support Me By Clicking on These Links:

living in Czech Republic Expat Women - Helping Women Living OverseasTopOfBlogsBuy Foodie artHonest Cooking The Food Magazine, Spicie Foodie , contributor

Followers

©2009-2011 All recipes, articles, blog post, content, and images (*Unless otherwise stated*) are the sole property of Spicie Foodie and Nancy Lopez-McHugh. They should not be used without prior written consent. You can contact me here

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP