Grape Jam for 2 ( refrigerator style)

>> Thursday, July 22, 2010

Homemade Grape Jam, toast, purple grapes, jelly

Some of us take many things for granted. But before you think I'm going to give you a moral lesson hold on - this is a food blog after all. What I mean by this is that some of us don't notice nor appreciate the ordinary everyday simple foods. When we arrived in Europe it was Mexican ingredients like tortillas, chili peppers, my Mother's home cooking that made me realize I took for granted and did not appreciate enough when I had them available everyday if I wished. Sure there were other realizations of foods and mostly conveniences that I had been expose to from living in the US. But I won't bore you with a long list of things both my husband and I miss from back home, I'm going to focus on just one. Grape Jelly/ Jam. That's right, grape jelly, for my North American readers I bet you take it for granted.

Some of you may think this is a little weird, how can we miss grape jelly surely there must be grape jelly available in Europe. We searched in 6 different countries and never came across a single jar of grape jelly-jam-preserve. Now I'm not saying that it just doesn't exist, we just never found any. Well let me tell you a Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich just isn't the same with any other flavor of jelly. I like to joke with my husband that Europeans turn all their grapes into wine and so there none left over to make grape jelly. Ok that's a goofy exaggeration because there are fresh grapes for sale all over, so not all grapes are turned into wine. (Wait you know I don't think I've seen grape juice here either, wow I'll have to double check the grocery store next time. ) And so not wanting my poor husband to endure a grape jelly-less existence I took it upon myself to surprise him by making our very own grape jelly.

I have been using this recipe and making our very own grape jam for about 5 years now. I actually call this grape jam because I use the whole fruit, minus the seeds of course, rather than using just juice which would then classify this as a jelly. This is my recipe for easy , relatively fast, small portion for 2 grape jam craving individuals who won't be accidently poisoned by incorrect canning procedure - refrigerator safe grape Jam!


ingredients grape jam, pectin,grapes,sugar
Your Ingredients:
1.5 lb. or 680 grams dark grapes
1 1/2 cups or 300 grams Dr. Oetker Gelfix Extra 2:1
( this is a Gelation Sugar with pectin from apples and citrus fruits) Premium Fruit Pectin
1/2 cup or 120 ml of water

large pot
blender
strainer
Sterilized jar

1. Wash and remove grapes from stems. Place the grapes inside the pot and pour the water over the grapes cover and bring to a boil. Once the mixture has boiled use a potato masher to crush the grapes to break them down further. You should have a very watery juice with most of the grapes broken down and skins separated. Boil for another 5 minutes.

2. Place a strainer over a large bowl or another pot. Strain the grapes and use a spoon to push the remaining grape chunks through and break them up. Now you'll need to pick out and discard as many of the seeds , that is if you used a grape variety with seeds. The grape skins should be placed inside a blender with the grape juice that was just strained. * Please note that I like to use the grape skins in my jam, if you do not want to you will again need to strain the grape juice and discard the remaining grape skins. *


how to test grape jelly, setting grape jam, grapes,preserves
3. Pour the grape juice mixture back into the same pot used to boil them. Next we will add the gelation sugar into the grape mixture. Cook the grape mixture over medium low until the jam has set. This will take about 40 minutes or so , stir often to prevent burning and bubbling over. If foam begins to form on top scoop out and discard. You can test the jam by dropping about 1/2 tablespoon onto a plate, allow it to cool and using your finger push on the jam if it stays and does not run back down it has set.

jar of grape jam,jelly,preserve, homemade,recipe,easy,fast
4. Once the jam has set quickly pour into your sterilized jar , leave uncovered and allow to cool down to room temperature. Once cooled place the lid on it and store in the refrigerator for at least 1 day before eating. The jam will continue to set as it cools further. This jam should be save in the refrigerator for 2 weeks.

Grape jam and toast, toast and jelly

I bet you wont look at your grape jelly the same ever again. Now I ask you if you've moved away from home is there something you miss terribly and just can't find in your new home?

19 comments:

Heather S-G July 22, 2010 at 7:26 PM  

I don't know this first-hand, but I do experience sympathy-longing through the hubby. There are many things that he was used to having daily in Mexico that just aren't as easily available in Indiana. Although we have pretty well-stocked Mexican markets, it's the fresh/wild things he could find outside his door or by the river or mountains that he misses most. We just found Verdolagas growing in the yard this year and he was beside himself. We made them for dinner last night and it was the first time he'd had them in 12 years!! I can't believe there's no grape jam in Europe...that's madness ;) You know what, though...homemade is way better than the storebought stuff anyway...yours looks delicious!

Unknown July 22, 2010 at 8:06 PM  

I never looked for grape jam in Europe, I can't believe they have it with all the grapes they grow, ha ha, they probably do put them all in their wine! I agree your homemade jam is way better than what you find in the store!

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine July 22, 2010 at 8:25 PM  

use to make this all the time when the kids were little thanks for reminding me forgot about this one yours sounds wonderful!

Tiffany July 23, 2010 at 2:15 AM  

Thank you for this post! We have an abundance of grapes, 3 different varieties, that are falling off the vine.....perfect timing!

Carol Egbert July 23, 2010 at 7:22 AM  

I like making small batches of jelly or jam. In your recipe fits the bill. Soon my husband and I will take wild grapes to make great jam with two ingredients sugar and grapes. The wild grapes are smaller than keys and must have enough been because the jam we make it is quite thick. Thanks for a great post.

penny aka jeroxie July 23, 2010 at 10:34 AM  

Oh wow! I am so going to make this! I love making jam...

Gina July 23, 2010 at 12:20 PM  

This is a great recipe to have! I love jams instead of jellies and I don't always have use for a dozen jars! Your photography is just beautiful, I love the purple background, I'm a color girl!

Indian Khana July 23, 2010 at 1:30 PM  

Jam looks delicious ...nice clicks ...u hav a nice blog...happy to follow

Tanantha @ I Just Love My Apron July 23, 2010 at 1:57 PM  

Nancy, is it a human being natural thing to take things for granted until we have no access to it? I don't think I have grape jam before. Your jam looks really good. I don't eat jam often but always have it in the fridge. Also, I've never made jam before in my life. Can you believe that? Is Dr. Oetker Gelfix easy to find at a grocery store?

Thanks for the idea of the matcha Nancy! It's a cool idea. I've never hosted any blog event before. Don't really know how to do it. Any advice?

Unknown July 23, 2010 at 3:46 PM  

I added you to my linky love post!
Thanks for such a great post!
http://onecookandtwochefs.blogspot.com/2010/07/just-little-love.html

Chef Dennis Littley July 24, 2010 at 5:17 PM  

I never thought of something so simple that wouldn't be available there......wow...well you certainly made up for it with that gorgeous grape jam! thanks so much for sharing it with us!
Dennis

Baking Barrister July 25, 2010 at 12:02 AM  

I sympathize with the inability to find things you love abroad. When I lived in Chile, I found myself missing peanut butter, fresh milk, real non-nestle chocolate and ice cream and cheddar cheese. Two of the Mexican kids I lived with missed tomatillos and tortillas and certain spices. We had our parents send some over ;)

Nancy July 25, 2010 at 10:10 AM  

Thank you all for your comments :)

@Tanatha, I'm not 100% sure if you'll find Dr. Oetker but any other brand of gelation sugar should work fine. I would suggest doing it like Penny host her IIP with the linky set up. Looks like it would be easiest that way. :)

@Kris, thank you :

Magic of Spice July 25, 2010 at 2:06 PM  

This is such a beautiful jam...Grape is my favorite:)

Lauren July 25, 2010 at 5:31 PM  

You are right in the UK I have never really heard of grape jam. The only place I have seen it is in little sachets in hotels, and I always thought it was a bit weird. I guess it just depends what you are used to, and certainly here strawberry and raspberry jams are the norm!

But your recipe looks delish so I guess I should give it a go and not be put off by the sachet version, right? ;)

Cajun Chef Ryan July 26, 2010 at 7:50 AM  

This looks like great jam! You food images are inspiring also!

Bon appetit!
CCR
=:~)

Nancy July 26, 2010 at 10:17 AM  

@Magic of Spice, Thank you & glad you agree .

@ Lauren, Yes I think you are correct it's about what you are used to. Go ahead give it a try, who know you may like it :)

@Chef Ryan, Thank you so much :)

Rick July 26, 2010 at 2:09 PM  

Get some peanut butter to slather this with!

By the way, I love the new title layout thingy.

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog. I love to hear from my readers so please leave your thoughts or questions below. Thank You!

(**PLEASE notice that comments with links are sent to the spam filter. This is not a place for you to advertise yourself.**)

Buy or Sell Food Photos!

View My PortfolioRoyalty Free Images

Support Me By Clicking on These Links:

living in Czech Republic Expat Women - Helping Women Living OverseasTopOfBlogsBuy Foodie artHonest Cooking The Food Magazine, Spicie Foodie , contributor

Followers

©2009-2011 All recipes, articles, blog post, content, and images (*Unless otherwise stated*) are the sole property of Spicie Foodie and Nancy Lopez-McHugh. They should not be used without prior written consent. You can contact me here

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP