Vegan Indian Cauliflower Mash, or Aloo Gobi Mash

>> Sunday, April 24, 2011



Indian Cauliflower Mash; Aloo Gobi Mash; Cauliflower; Indian; food; recipes; vegan; vegetables; fast; easy; healthy; low fat; Spicie Foodie
Happy Monday! To those of you that celebrate Easter I hope you had a lovely holiday. To those of you, like me, that don't celebrate Easter, I hope you had a great weekend. Today I have a vegan recipe that is great as a main dish or as a side dish. It was actually inspired by Veggie Test Kitchen. She participated in February's YBR and submitted her Madras Mashed Cauliflower. As soon as I saw her photo and read her post I knew I had to make it immediately. Well immediately came a little later but I did finally cook it.

I hope The Veggie doesn't mind if I quote her blog as to how she came up with this dish. She says that this dish is a spin on the classic Indian Aloo Ghobi. Aloo Ghobi translates to potato cauliflower and it is a eaten throughout the country, India. She goes on to explain that Aloo Ghobi is chunks of potatoes, cauliflower florets, onion, garlic, ginger and spices. But she made her own version by mashing the potatoes and cauliflower and topping with sauted shallots and a few other things. The Veggie gives some great tips so please stop by to read her whole post. Trust me you will want to make it immediately.

Indian Cauliflower Mash; Aloo Gobi Mash; Cauliflower; Indian; food; recipes; vegan; vegetables; fast; easy; healthy; low fat; Spicie Foodie

When I went into my kitchen to prepare her recipe I didn't have all the spices in her recipe so I improvised. This is my version of The Veggie's madras mashed cauliflower. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. I served it a part of our vegan/vegetarian dinner along side some flat bread and a couple other small sides. It was so delicious and filling with a little quick to it. Remember though you can always adjust the chile amount to your own taste. Enjoy and thank you The Veggie :)

Indian Cauliflower Mash, or Aloo Gobi Mash
Based on and inspired by The Veggie, Veggie Test Kitchen, Madras Mashed Cauliflower .

1 cauliflower head, cut into large florets
4 small potatoes, peeled and cut into large pieces
small piece of fresh ginger, ginger and finely chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 red chile, finely chopped
11/2 tbsp. garam masala* (my recipe is here)
1 tsp. ground turmeric
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
extra chile powder, optional *
salt & ground black to taste
finely chopped chives, chiles and/or fresh cilantro to top, optional

* Adjust to taste

Indian Cauliflower Mash; Aloo Gobi Mash; Cauliflower; Indian; food; recipes; vegan; vegetables; fast; easy; healthy; low fat; Spicie Foodie

1. Boil the cauliflower and potatoes until tender. Drain and set aside. Heat the oil and cook the onion until soft and translucent. Add the ginger, garlic and chile and saute for another 3 minutes. Place the boiled cauliflower and potatoes into the pan. Add the remaining spices to the pan. Use a potato masher and mash until the vegetables have broken up into a thick mash. I left a few chunks of both the potatoes and cauliflower for a chunky texture. Stir to combine all ingredients well, and cook for another 10 minutes.

Serve with Naan bread or other Indian flat bread.
Indian Cauliflower Mash; Aloo Gobi Mash; Cauliflower; Indian; food; recipes; vegan; vegetables; fast; easy; healthy; low fat; Spicie Foodie




36 comments:

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine April 25, 2011 at 9:37 AM  

I just made a mash like this but the seasonings you have sounds amazing... never had anything like this one... looks fabulous!

Sandra April 25, 2011 at 9:40 AM  

Very nice and delicious side dish! I never tried this before, but looking at the recipe and your photos I feel in need to do it now!!!:) Great photos too! Thanks for sharing Nancy!

Nancy April 25, 2011 at 10:18 AM  

@Claudia, Thank you and I'm sure yours was very tasty!

@Sandra, Thank you, you should it was really good. My pleasure :)

Anonymous,  April 25, 2011 at 11:47 AM  

yum! It looks almost like Baingan Bharta but with gobi! Yummy!!
http://chefpriyanka.com

Tastemonials April 25, 2011 at 1:28 PM  

We love aloo ghobi but never make it at home. This doesn't look too difficult, so I'm going to give it a try. But I still have restaurant leftover aloo ghobi in the frig to eat for my lunch today!

Anonymous,  April 25, 2011 at 2:22 PM  

Very nice...love Indian flavors and spices. I usually make plain cal mash but this could be a new hit. Thanks:)

Tiffany April 25, 2011 at 4:09 PM  

This sounds and looks amazing! Great job on your photography, as usual!

Belinda @zomppa April 25, 2011 at 5:07 PM  

Happy Easter - what a gorgeous dish.

Carolyn April 25, 2011 at 8:45 PM  

Definitely saving this one. I've had Aloo Gobi, but not just with mashed cauli and I think this is a great little twist!

Anonymous,  April 25, 2011 at 10:50 PM  

Mmmm, that sounds so good! I love aloo gobi :D

Cooking Rookie April 26, 2011 at 1:41 AM  

Beautiful - both the photo and the recipe. And I thanks for the homemade garam masala recipe :-)

Gourmet Getaway April 26, 2011 at 2:33 AM  

This will be up the top of my lost of thongs to make! I love indian foods, especially healthy vege dishes, thanks for sharing!

Nikki @ The Tolerant Vegan April 26, 2011 at 12:36 PM  

This looks delicious! I'm all about Indian food lately too. Thank you for this!

Matthew April 26, 2011 at 1:40 PM  

Hi. Our site offers weekly ezine featuring the best links we find online. this week we are featuring Indian food and I hope you don't mind that we are going to include this recipe. You get all the credit. :) Think of it as us promoting your site for you. :) Great pictures by the way. Really, really great.
check out samples of our ezine here archive.aweber.com/chefblogdigest

Tanantha April 26, 2011 at 2:49 PM  

I didn't celebrate Easter but my husband's family did so I tagged along with them :D I like the spices you put in this dish. Sounds Indian-like and so good yet healthy!

Meagan @ Scarletta Bakes April 26, 2011 at 10:34 PM  

I love this dish and I really love your take on it. I can't wait to give this a try - thanks so much for the lovely post and photography!!

penny aka jeroxie April 27, 2011 at 12:14 AM  

After all the eating I have done, I need to eat more of this when I head back to Melbourne.

Audrey Ellen @ My Scene and Herd April 27, 2011 at 12:42 AM  

The colors in your photos high light one of my favorite parts of Indian food.

Magic of Spice April 27, 2011 at 12:45 AM  

This does look delicious, but then you make everything look delicious. So as far as a recipe goes this also sounds delicious, and you know me...garlic and ginger anywhere in the same post gets my attention :) I will check out the link as well...hugs!

Sandra April 27, 2011 at 2:16 AM  

Just came to Congratulate you on top 9!!!

Nancy April 27, 2011 at 9:02 AM  

Thank you all so much! I love to see your enthusiasm for a dish we really enjoyed.

@Sandra, Really? I didn't know, thank you for letting me know. Cool! '

Nancy April 27, 2011 at 9:03 AM  

@Matthew, Thank you! I'll stop by and check out your blog and eZine, sounds great.

amlamonte April 27, 2011 at 12:41 PM  

oo, this looks great! i love indian food but it's hard to find simple, non-intimidating recipes! and a very pretty blog too...

www.icyviolets.com

Tastemonials April 27, 2011 at 12:56 PM  

Congratulations on your Top 9!

alyce April 27, 2011 at 1:39 PM  

Congrats on your top 9!

Unknown April 27, 2011 at 3:39 PM  

I love Indian food, but usually eat out. This really inspires me to start cooking Indian at home. Great job with the photos too.

cakewhiz April 27, 2011 at 6:56 PM  

congrats on the top 9!!!! :D

my mom makes this but any time she makes it, i run away...lol. i am not too fond of gobhi :(

and i love that last picture!

Sarah April 27, 2011 at 11:16 PM  

You're right, I do want to make this immediately! Lovely lovely pictures too!!

hmariek April 28, 2011 at 11:15 AM  

How lovely and delicious!! I also wanted to add I wish to sign up for April's YBR! Thanks for the recipe!

Tanvi@Sinfully Spicy April 28, 2011 at 1:38 PM  

Saw this on Food buzz and was drawn towards your blog.What a vibrant dish you have created.Being an indian myself, I love spices.I really need to try this cauli-potato mash.Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous,  May 1, 2011 at 3:16 PM  

I just made this after bookmarking it from foodbuzz a few days back and it's delicious!! I subbed the potatoes for a big sweet potato and used your garam masala recipe - this dish will definitely be making it into my regular rotation of easy dishes. Thank you!

Lenna May 6, 2011 at 1:14 AM  

This looks amazing! I love aloo gobi!:)

Nancy May 6, 2011 at 10:01 AM  

Hi Lenna, Thank you and I hope you enjoy making it. I tried to leave a comment on your blog but sometimes I have problems leaving them on Wordpress blogs. Anyways, Hezky Vikend!

Kristina May 7, 2011 at 3:05 PM  

I love aloo gobi, and make it fairly often, but I've never done it as a mash. Will have to try this SOON!

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog. I love to hear from my readers so please leave your thoughts or questions below. Thank You!

(**PLEASE notice that comments with links are sent to the spam filter. This is not a place for you to advertise yourself.**)

Buy or Sell Food Photos!

View My PortfolioRoyalty Free Images

Support Me By Clicking on These Links:

living in Czech Republic Expat Women - Helping Women Living OverseasTopOfBlogsBuy Foodie artHonest Cooking The Food Magazine, Spicie Foodie , contributor

Followers

©2009-2011 All recipes, articles, blog post, content, and images (*Unless otherwise stated*) are the sole property of Spicie Foodie and Nancy Lopez-McHugh. They should not be used without prior written consent. You can contact me here

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP