Arroz ala Mexicana for Bicentennial Celebrations

>> Wednesday, September 15, 2010

arroz ala Mexicana; Mexican; recipes; ingredients; rice; cusine; food; oregano; tomato; onion; garlic; spices; white; red; green; yellow; ceramic; bowl; vertical; kitchen towel; wood; table; leaves; carrots; peas

Tomorrow is a big Mexican holiday, our Independence day. This year there will be a very big and special celebration because 2010 is a year of bicentennial celebrations. Tomorrow September 16th marks 200 years of independence from Spain. November 2010 also marks the 100th anniversary of our Revolution. Being that in 2010 Mexicans are commemorating such big events and celebrations there are huge parties and celebrations planned throughout the country and even Mexicans abroad are planning large celebrations.

Last year I gave you guys a brief explanation about our Independence Day and also shared my Enchiladas Rojas recipe, if you are interested you can find it here. I haven't solidified my dinner plans for tomorrow but I thought I would share a must have and must know Mexican recipe. I actually can't believe I haven't shared this with you, Arroz ala Mexicana or Mexican rice. Such a simple and delicious recipe anyone can make but yet so many get wrong. Sorry I'm going to sound like I'm ranting a bit, but I really hate when I get served "Mexican" rice and it's bright red, taste like tomato paste or is just white rice with a can of corn-carrot-pea and beans thrown in it and called Mexican rice, yuck! Maybe I'm spoiled because my Mom always made perfectly delicious arroz. You may remember that I never listened to my Mom when she tried to teach me how to cook but somehow I remember her special technique and the authentic recipe, I guess I was listening after all. I'm sure most of you already know that the rice is served as a side dish with many Mexican dishes, it can also be enjoyed on it's own or in Tex-Mex cuisine it is used as a filling or topping for many recipes. What ever way you choose to enjoy Arroz ala Mexicana that is exactly it - you will really enjoy this recipe and be very proud of the authenticity and taste.


arroz ala Mexicana; Mexican; recipes; ingredients; rice; cusine; food; oregano; tomato; onion; garlic; spices; white; red; green; yellow; ceramic; bowl; vertical; kitchen towel; wood; table; leaves; carrots; peasIngredients:
1cup (185 grams) long grain rice
1 small yellow onion, finely diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 large tomato (200 grams or 7 oz.)
1/2 tsp. salt , or to taste
pinch of ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. oregano
11/2 cups (375 ml) chicken bouillon*
1 tbsp. corn or sunflower oil
1 small can of peas and carrot mix

*For the best flavor use either powdered chicken bouillon or 1 chicken bouillon cube dissolved in water.

1. Finely dice the onion, mince the garlic and roughly chop the tomato. Dissolve the bouillon in the water and set aside. Place the 1/2 cup of the chicken bouillon, tomato, salt, pepper, oregano and 1/4 of the finely diced onion inside a blender container and pulse until completely broken down into a sauce, set aside.


arroz ala Mexicana; Mexican; recipes; ingredients; rice; cusine; food; oregano; tomato; onion; garlic; spices; white; red; green; yellow; ceramic; bowl; vertical; kitchen towel; wood; table; leaves; carrots; peas
2. Heat the oil over medium heat and saute the remaining 3/4 onion until translucent then add the minced garlic and saute another 2 minutes. Add the rice to the pan and fry until it starts to turn golden like in the photo, stir often to prevent burning. (Frying the rice like this will give the rice a better taste.) Next pour the sauce mix from the blender, be very careful because the sauce can splash up as it hits the hot pan. Then pour in the remaining 1 cup of bouillon and the drained can of peas and carrots, cover and simmer under low heat until the rice is soft and cooked through. You can check the rice a couple of times and if need be add a little more water or bouillon to the rice if the liquid evaporates before the rice cooks through. Allow to cool and serve on the side of any Mexican dish you like or enjoy on it's own.

arroz ala Mexicana; Mexican; recipes; ingredients; rice; cusine; food; oregano; tomato; onion; garlic; spices; white; red; green; yellow; ceramic; bowl; vertical; kitchen towel; wood; table; leaves; carrots; peas

Perhaps my rice recipe will put you into a celebratory mood and you will inspire you to cook some Mexican food tomorrow to join the celebrations. Like many other countries there are ups and unfortunately downs, I know lately Mexico has been in the news for all of the wrong reasons, but it hasn't always been like this and it will not always be like this. Not all of Mexico is engulfed by the drug violence and certainly not all Mexicans are involved in it. Mexico is a big country with very warm and welcoming people ready to help you experience the vast rainbow of colors, culture, history and huge feasts that makeup Mexico. On this bicentennial year of celebrations I wish nothing more than for a brighter future for the normal everyday people of Mexico.

29 comments:

Stella September 15, 2010 at 1:31 PM  

Viva Mexico! Y que tengan ustedes muchos anos mas de indepencia...(sonrisas).
This rice looks wonderful and so simple, Nancy. I might just go ahead and make it for dinner tonight-I have everything;)

fromBAtoParis September 15, 2010 at 3:06 PM  

Qué coincidencia !!! Mexico y Argentina celebran sus 200 anios en el 2010!
El himno argentino dice: "Al gran pueblo argentino, Salud!!!
Yo entonces digo: "Al GRAN pueblo mejicano, Salud !!!!!!!!

Cristina

Belinda @zomppa September 15, 2010 at 3:15 PM  

Happy independence day! What a splendid way to celebrate. =) Abrazos.

Lauren September 15, 2010 at 3:22 PM  

Looks gorgeous, love mexican rice!

Unknown September 15, 2010 at 3:39 PM  

Love Mexican rice and Mexico(went to Acapulco last year, lucky to take a direct flight) Happy Independence Day!!!! I hope you're doing something fun to celebrate:)

Torviewtoronto September 15, 2010 at 3:44 PM  

delicious we make similar without the oregano

Anonymous,  September 15, 2010 at 4:04 PM  

Ooh - great to know about an excuse to cook up some Mexican food (as if I needed one!). But the title of your post has now got that song 'Amor a la Mexicana' stuck in my head... :-)

Jillyann September 15, 2010 at 4:14 PM  

I love Mexican rice! I usually make mine with Pigeon peas and must omit the cloves because I am allergic to them. This looks wonderful Nancy!

Tanantha @ I Just Love My Apron September 15, 2010 at 4:16 PM  

Happy holidays to you Nancy! Personally I feel that Asian and Mexican are similar in culture. I have quite a few Mexican friends and they're so fun! As I said on Facebook, I wanna take you to impress my family and friends :D Your recipes are practical and great!

Susi's Kochen und Backen September 15, 2010 at 4:28 PM  

Happy Independence Day! Great looking rice recipe!

Momo September 15, 2010 at 5:10 PM  

happy independence day!gorgeous arroz for this celebration!

Magic of Spice September 15, 2010 at 5:27 PM  

Happy Independence Day! This looks so wonderful, and I agree about the way you get Mexican rice in most restaurants, I always just pass...Love this recipe :)

Evan @swEEts September 15, 2010 at 6:39 PM  

You're making me miss my kitchen even more right now! I would totally have made something in your honor for the Mexican Independence Day! I'm going to have to make something as soon as I get home next week!! Have fun celebrating :)

City Share September 15, 2010 at 8:08 PM  

Happy Independence Day! The rice looks fabulous. It is a very similar recipe to my husband's, but he doesn't normally put in the can of peas and carrots. Interesting addition. Thanks for sharing.

Jan @ I Love. Therefore, I Cook. September 15, 2010 at 8:10 PM  

happy independence day Nancy :) thank you for posting this, been thinking of a rice dish at the start of the week and this post came in time :) the dish really looks delicious!

Debbie September 15, 2010 at 10:38 PM  

Happy independence day! I just read your history on it from a year ago, so thanks for the lesson! Hope you have a great holiday!

Cherine September 16, 2010 at 2:04 AM  

Happy Independance day!! Nice post and the "arroz se ve delicioso!!"

Conor @ Hold the Beef September 16, 2010 at 3:45 AM  

Happy Independence Day Nancy! I'm not sure whether I'm lucky that Mexican Rice is not commonly served here, seeing as most places do it badly, or very unlucky that I don't get to eat ones like yours.

S September 16, 2010 at 8:38 AM  

Aunque no es nada ortodoxo, a mí me gusta añadir al servir un poco de aguacate o chile-o ambos.

Priscilla - She's Cookin' September 16, 2010 at 12:52 PM  

Happy Independence Day, Nancy. I have some tomatoes from my garden that need a home, I think I'll make some Arroz a la Mexicana and raise my glass to toast you and your country! Viva la Mexico!

Simply Life September 16, 2010 at 5:22 PM  

what a perfect dish to celebrate with!

Memória September 17, 2010 at 12:23 AM  

I love Arroz a la Mexicana. I've made it many of times. your arroz a la mexicana looks so flavorful.

Did you watch the celebration on TV? I watched the fireworks on Univisión, and they were amazing.

TREAT AND TRICK September 17, 2010 at 3:46 AM  

Happy Mexican Day dear. Looks perfect and delicious...

Debs @ DKC September 18, 2010 at 2:20 AM  

Happy Independence days (felicidades). Love your rice recipe too.

I have another blog called http://www.expatlifeshared.blogspot.com/ where I welcome other expats to join me. Please pop over & take a look as I'm looking for guest bloggers there too, leave me a message if you are interested.

Cookin' Canuck September 19, 2010 at 10:46 AM  

I hope you had a wonderful celebration! I am bookmarking this recipe - I have been looking for a really good Mexican rice recipe for a long time.

whatsfordinneracrossstatelines September 19, 2010 at 12:26 PM  

Finally found this! My inbox looks like a bomb went off in it! Thanks for sharing your version, I've been looking for an authentic one. Happy Independence Day!
-Gina-

Liv Wan September 21, 2010 at 9:20 AM  

Oh my, I can have a big bowl of this rice now. Sounds and looks so so so yummy.

Nancy September 21, 2010 at 4:55 PM  

Wow I am so impressed with all of your Spanish :) Thanks you for visiting and glad to hear that you like the recipe. Hope you add it to your Mexican meals from now on.

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog. I love to hear from my readers so please leave your thoughts or questions below. Thank You!

(**PLEASE notice that comments with links are sent to the spam filter. This is not a place for you to advertise yourself.**)

Buy or Sell Food Photos!

View My PortfolioRoyalty Free Images

Support Me By Clicking on These Links:

living in Czech Republic Expat Women - Helping Women Living OverseasTopOfBlogsBuy Foodie artHonest Cooking The Food Magazine, Spicie Foodie , contributor

Followers

©2009-2011 All recipes, articles, blog post, content, and images (*Unless otherwise stated*) are the sole property of Spicie Foodie and Nancy Lopez-McHugh. They should not be used without prior written consent. You can contact me here

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP