Apple Celeriac Salad

>> Sunday, September 12, 2010

Apple; Celeriac; Salad; meatless; vegetables; vegetarian; fruit; recipes; easy; gluten free; cook; cusine; fusion; foodie
The previous post I talked to you guys about the ugly, yet very delicious, root vegetable Celeriac. Today I am going to share with you my favorite recipe in which I use Celeriac. It's super easy, fresh, relatively healthy and always a crowd pleaser. I always make this apple celeriac salad to serve on the side of pulled pork sandwiches and the two are a perfect combination that compliment each other very well. If you also add some old fashion potato salad to the meal, let me tell you that is a perfect dinner for the whole family!

Apple; Celeriac; Salad; meatless; vegetables; vegetarian; fruit; recipes; easy; gluten free; cook; cusine; fusion; foodie
I have categorized this recipe under my vegan/vegetarian section because this is a meatless dish. For vegan or vegetarians you could easily substitute the regular mayonnaise for a vegan alternative. I could not tell you if the recipe will taste the same since I use regular mayonnaise, but I couldn't imagine that it wouldn't also taste great. Also you will notice that the photos are from two different occasions using two different types of apples. This is to show you that I will use whatever kind of apple I am in the mood for. Though I think a green apple with it's slight tartness gives the salad the best tasting results, but that's my personal taste.

Apple; Celeriac; Salad; meatless; vegetables; vegetarian; fruit; recipes; easy; gluten free; cook; cusine; fusion; foodie
Serves 2 people
Ingredients:
1 small head of Celeriac ( 260 grams or 9 oz. or a little over 1/2 lb.)
1 small apple
1 small lemon, juiced
2 tsp. mustard (Dijon or brown mustard)
3 tbsp. mayonnaise
Salt & black pepper to taste

Apple; Celeriac; Salad; meatless; vegetables; vegetarian; fruit; recipes; easy; gluten free; cook; cusine; fusion; foodie
1. Remove the rough outer skin of the celeriac by slicing off or using a vegetable peeler. Grate the celeriac into a large mixing bowl and set aside. Core the apple but leave the peel intact, either grate or cut into very small pieces and add to the mixing bowl. Add the remaining ingredients into the bowl and mix thoroughly or until both the celeriac and apple pieces are well coated.
(*please note that the salad is a bit dry and should not be over powered by the taste of mustard nor mayonnaise. )

Taste for salt and pepper and adjust to your taste. The salad taste best if left in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving. If you have any leftovers it will still taste terrific the next day. The apple celeriac salad can be serve as a side dish, on crackers or even on it's own if you like.
Apple; Celeriac; Salad; meatless; vegetables; vegetarian; fruit; recipes; easy; gluten free; cook; cusine; fusion; foodie,celeriac recipe, knob celery, root celery

A couple of other suggestions or tips I'd like to make are for the mustard. Use good mustard, do not use yellow mustard that will not be a good result. On occasion I have also used a Bavarian brown and slightly sweet mustard that has also had very good results. As for the mayonnaise you need good, real, full fat mayonnaise , do not use miracle whip or those types of salad dressing sauces. So you see the key is to stick with "real and good quality" mustard and mayonnaise for the best tasting salad. I hope you will all try one of my favorite salad recipes very soon.
(The photos are not very good, Since I wanted to share the recipe right away I didn't have a chance to make the salad again and it's what I had in my old photo archives. I'll have to re-shoot it soon, or that is make the salad again very soon because my mouth is watering. )

22 comments:

whatsfordinneracrossstatelines September 12, 2010 at 12:45 PM  

I always saw those roots, and never really knew what to do with them. This sounds so refreshing. I'm going to pick one up next time I'm in the market and give it a try. Thanks.
-Gina-

Magic of Spice September 12, 2010 at 1:31 PM  

Nancy that looks fantastic, wonderful use of the ingredients... And excellent tips, I would never dream of using anything that was not "Real Food" :)

fromBAtoParis September 12, 2010 at 1:52 PM  

Celeriac is very popular in my family...we love it!!!
Thanks for the recipe!

Momo September 12, 2010 at 2:36 PM  

a tasty salad,i use to make it always in autumn and winter!

Frank September 12, 2010 at 3:44 PM  

Yep, one of my favorites! Celeri remoulade is a wonderful cool weather salad.

Sommer September 12, 2010 at 5:12 PM  

I am inspired to give celeriac a try! This recipe looks delicious! Maybe I'll introduce it next NFL Sunday!

Stella September 12, 2010 at 5:52 PM  

Yum, Nancy! I love crunchy root vegetable salads like this, and I bet the green apple's tartness is so nice in there. Ooh, and only relatively healthy? Well, I suppose the mayo is fatty, but it's delicious. Plus, it's good for the skin (smile)...!

Anonymous,  September 12, 2010 at 11:45 PM  

I've never used celeriac before, but I love this recipe! I definitely need to keep my eyes out for it and give this one a shot :) Thanks!

penny aka jeroxie September 13, 2010 at 3:27 AM  

I am still not very into celeriac. The taste can put me off slightly. One day I hope!

Conor @ Hold the Beef September 13, 2010 at 10:43 AM  

Great use for celeriac, and I can imagine just how good this would be with pulled pork. This is also about a million times prettier than celeriac fresh from the ground, yup.

Nancy September 13, 2010 at 10:51 AM  

Thank you all and I hope you try the salad soon.

@Stella, really? for your skin, oh please enlighten me. I've used it in my hair before but never on anything other than food.

@Penny, yeah maybe one day :)

Priscilla - She's Cookin' September 13, 2010 at 11:24 AM  

Looks delicious and I love the flavor combination of apple and celaric. I have soy mayonnaise that I bought for vegan dishes, but I don't think it would lend itself as well as real mayo.

Anonymous,  September 13, 2010 at 3:36 PM  

I love the combo of the apple and the celaric. I think this looks really good! Thanks for sharing

City Share September 13, 2010 at 4:31 PM  

Yum. I love the idea of serving this salad with pulled pork. Great Combo!

Tanantha @ I Just Love My Apron September 13, 2010 at 4:47 PM  

Another party food on my list! I sometimes have a hard time to think what to make for finger food for a party. I started writing it down so the next party i will just look it up haha.Raw salad is great. The celaric and tartness from apple are great combination.

Jillyann September 14, 2010 at 10:04 AM  

This really sounds good Nancy. Celeriac is one of those veggies that I rarely ever use and I should. I don't see it very often in the regular grocery though. Usually have to travel a bit to go to whole foods or the fresh market to find it. this slaw would really be good with bbq pulled chicken as well.

Juliana September 14, 2010 at 10:23 AM  

I never had celeriac, but the combination with green apple looks yummie, so refreshing and crunchy :-)

Liv Wan September 14, 2010 at 2:01 PM  

Hello Nancy,
I can tell you still working on your "knob celery" project and I love this Apple knob celery salad on the biscuit. It's sounds very refreshing and tasty. Many thanks for sharing this recipe.

Sorry for keep calling celeriac "knob celery", I just can't get over this name since the first time you introduced it. lol

Simply Life September 14, 2010 at 8:50 PM  

oh that's so pretty and looks delicious!

Heather S-G September 15, 2010 at 9:16 AM  

Oh, this salad does sound fabulous! I can almost taste it...I think the pictures are wonderful...I want to reach out and grab a cracker and pop it in my mouth ;)

Rick September 15, 2010 at 7:35 PM  

Weird thing but I always loved celery. And apples. This post makes me happy.

my boyfriend cooks for me September 16, 2010 at 7:42 PM  

I have never had celeriac in anything like this, I'm definitely going to have to try this. Oh, and your advice about mayonnaise? Genius. And I think is a principle to live by not just for this recipe, but in life!

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog. I love to hear from my readers so please leave your thoughts or questions below. Thank You!

(**PLEASE notice that comments with links are sent to the spam filter. This is not a place for you to advertise yourself.**)

Buy or Sell Food Photos!

View My PortfolioRoyalty Free Images

Support Me By Clicking on These Links:

living in Czech Republic Expat Women - Helping Women Living OverseasTopOfBlogsBuy Foodie artHonest Cooking The Food Magazine, Spicie Foodie , contributor

Followers

©2009-2011 All recipes, articles, blog post, content, and images (*Unless otherwise stated*) are the sole property of Spicie Foodie and Nancy Lopez-McHugh. They should not be used without prior written consent. You can contact me here

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP