Sloppy Joes and Our History

>> Saturday, July 31, 2010

Sloppy Joe recipe
♫Sloppy joe slop, sloppy joe uh-hu, sloppy joe slop, sloppy joe. ♫ Remember that Adam Sandler song the Lunch Lady? OK the song is a bit annoying but I still like it and think it's funny. ( I have a goofy sense of humor. ) I've had such a strong craving for Sloppy Joes and I really don't know why. Perhaps it's because the song popped in my head and it was a subliminal message. Or maybe it was the fact that I kept singing it over and over , out loud and in my head, for like a week. I think if my poor husband has to hear me singing this song again he will lock himself in a room far away where he wont be able to hear me. But I made it up to him with a few Sloppy Joes!

First if I may tell you my "history" with the Sloppy Joe, it started out very badly. You see the first time I had to eat a Sloppy Joe was in a school cafeteria, yuck!, a bad starting point. At the time I was not very familiar with American foods, other than the famous fast food restaurants. I hardly spoke a word of English and didn't have many friends either. Then I get in line at the cafeteria and I'm served this messy, soggy bun, with some reddish sauce and "meat" at which I just stared at with disgust. Back at the lunch table my American classmates quickly and happily ate their Sloppy Joes. I just sat there staring at them (chowing down their Sloppy Joes), and at my plate wondering if I was brave enough to take a bite. I've never been a picky eater and I've always enjoyed trying new foods. Maybe back then I wasn't as open minded as I am now, but it was really more about my dislike of ground beef (it's never been a favorite of mine.) I'll admit that I thought to myself "well this may be a rough school year". OK I actually did take a few bites and it wasn't as unappetizing as it looked. Over the years I grew to like Sloppy Joes and other "strange", well at least to me, and new American foods. But those are stories for another time. Don't get me wrong I'm not giving American food a bad name , there are a lot of delicious American dishes that are just not replaced by any other cuisine.

For those of you who have children I don't have to tell you they usually love Sloppy Joes. Here is my simple yet Sloppy Joe crave satisfying recipe.

Sloppy Joe ingredients
Ingredients:

1 LB. ground beef /500 grams
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 small green bell pepper, finely chopped
1 tsp. Brown sugar
1 tsp. mustard, yellow
1 TB. garlic powder
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1-2 tsp. cayenne (adjust to your taste)
splash Worcester sauce
2 cans tomato paste ( 230 grams total or 8 oz)
4 TB. tomato puree
Olive oil or sunflower oil
Hamburger buns
Water or broth* see step 3

1. Chop the onion and bell pepper. In a large pan heat the oil , add both the onion and green pepper and cook until both are soft. Next add the crumbled ground beef and fry until the meat has cooked through. Once the beef is done drain all the fat from the pan.
2. Add all of the spices and mix thoroughly, lastly add the tomato paste and puree. Once again stir to combine all of the ingredients thoroughly.
3. If you want to you can serve the Sloppy Joes right away . Otherwise cover and simmer for 20 minutes or longer. Cooking longer will allow the flavors to really come together. Check on the mixture often to prevent burning. If the sauce begins to dry out too much add a little bit of water or broth at a time to prevent burning.

manwich

Once ready to serve, you can either toast the buns or leave as is. Spoon the meat mixture onto the buns and you have your Sloppy Joes, serve right away. Either Potato chips or potato salad make a great side dish.

Sloppy Joes spicy homemadeMessy, yet satisfying!! Now if you'll excuse me I have someone to go serenade or I mean annoy. Sloppy Joe.....slop......♫

19 comments:

Belinda @zomppa August 1, 2010 at 6:31 PM  

This slop slop sloppy joe looks super satisfying!

Heather S-G August 1, 2010 at 7:07 PM  

And isn't that totally what the song's all about!? ...in Lunch Laaa haa dyyyy Laaaaaand! I love Adam Sandler...and that song. Honestly, I sing it every time I make, see, or hear the word Sloppy Joe. LOL! Your version sounds tasty...and yeah, the kiddos would love them! We like to throw some potato chips on top before we add the top bun, too...crush it all together and take a big bite...YUM! =)

Unknown August 1, 2010 at 9:40 PM  

Too funny! Good work on the sloppy joe, it looks way better than the cafeteria kind. Sometimes when you have a craving for something you just have to satisfy it;-)

Kate August 1, 2010 at 9:45 PM  

Try using dry mustard instead of the ball park mustard. My Mom made them that way and I love the difference the dry mustard makes.

Chef Dennis Littley August 1, 2010 at 11:08 PM  

I love sloppy joes, to me they are true comfort food! in fact I could use one right now, and yours look delicious!

Tiffany August 2, 2010 at 1:29 AM  

It's been a long time since we've made sloppy joes, it may be time....we'll try your recipe, thanks!

Tanantha@ I Just Love My Apron August 2, 2010 at 3:08 AM  

Your version of Sloppy joes looks so good Nancy! I would go a bit harder on cayanne pepper to kick me in my throat :D Hopefully, I wouldn't get that song stuck in my head after reading this post!

Anonymous,  August 2, 2010 at 7:35 AM  

I love 'em, too, and experimented a bit with them last year. Will have to dig up my old recipes and compare. Yours sure do look yummy. And now, just to torment you:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_-KbstEG4E

For sure, it gets stuck in my head, too...esp. the part where he sounds more like Axl Rose than Adam Sandler. ;)

Anonymous,  August 2, 2010 at 8:24 AM  

I have a confession. I've NEVER had one of these. They're not customary in Panama and I guess the name sends me running in the opposite direction. But yours..., looks yummy! May need to reconsider.

Anonymous,  August 2, 2010 at 8:43 AM  

Sloppy Joes are such a comfort food for me! I remember my mom making them when I was little : )...this is such an awesome recipe! I must try it!

Carrie August 2, 2010 at 8:47 AM  

I haven't had a sloppy joe in ages, but these look so fabulous that I may have to put them on the menu soom!

Gisela August 2, 2010 at 1:01 PM  

I think it's about time to make sloppy joe's from scratch. We depend to much on cans and frozen food products. Your sloppy joe looks delicious and ready to eat.

Magic of Spice August 2, 2010 at 8:59 PM  

I have never heard that song...too funny:) My kids loved sloppy joes when they were little (the only thing their Dad knew how to cook)...I think they still make them. The the photos too:)

A Little Yumminess August 2, 2010 at 9:38 PM  

I have never thought of this one before - thanks for recipe...sloppy joes are an easy one for kids!

penny aka jeroxie August 2, 2010 at 9:41 PM  

Never had it before! I will have to try it.

Conor @ Hold the Beef August 3, 2010 at 6:20 AM  

It was a long time before I learnt what a sloppy joe actually was after reading about them in American books while growing up. I thought they sounded scary and I still think they are a little ;)

Yours doesn't look scary though! Promise!!

Rick August 3, 2010 at 10:59 AM  

There was a song? Learn something new everyday. This looks so good. I miss having them.

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog. I love to hear from my readers so please leave your thoughts or questions below. Thank You!

(**PLEASE notice that comments with links are sent to the spam filter. This is not a place for you to advertise yourself.**)

Buy or Sell Food Photos!

View My PortfolioRoyalty Free Images

Support Me By Clicking on These Links:

living in Czech Republic Expat Women - Helping Women Living OverseasTopOfBlogsBuy Foodie artHonest Cooking The Food Magazine, Spicie Foodie , contributor

Followers

©2009-2011 All recipes, articles, blog post, content, and images (*Unless otherwise stated*) are the sole property of Spicie Foodie and Nancy Lopez-McHugh. They should not be used without prior written consent. You can contact me here

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP