Matcha Blueberry Corn Muffins, a real treat

>> Sunday, May 23, 2010

I must admit ... I have a new addiction, Match Tea. There's no other green tea quite like Matcha, both in the taste an versatility of uses. We all know how we can simply just enjoy a cup of Matcha and be fully satisfied and content. In Japan the tea is also used in an assortment of sweets like ice cream, cakes, cookies, breads, mochi, chocolate and candy. ( By the way Matcha candy is energy boosting and really tasty.) I love this tea so much, if you remember from a previous post I told you guys how I'm always looking for ways to use it in my cooking and baking. Today I have another new experimental creation using Matcha, and let me tell you it was good!
The recipe is based on my Blueberry Corn Muffin recipe, keeping the recipe pretty much the same but adding Matcha to the batter. It may sound a bit strange corn meal -blueberries and Matcha? what? Yep! You've really got to give it a try yourself. The muffins come out moist, not too sweet , fruity and velvety with a hint of Matcha. As always I try to use the healthier and least amount of fats/oils and sugar in both my cooking and baking. So only small amounts of sugar in this recipe too.


Your ingredients:



1 cup of white flour
1 cup corn meal (medium grain)
1/4 cup organic cane sugar (also know as Turbinado sugar)
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. Matcha Green Tea powder
1 whole egg
1 TBS. Sunflower oil
1/3 cups of plain white yogurt,creamy
1/2 cup whole milk
1 cup of fresh blueberries

1. Preheat the oven to 375c / 190c. Prepare the tins or molds by either lining with paper cups or cover the molds/tins with a little oil then dust with flour. (this is a great tip because it will help the muffins come out of the molds easier)

2. Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. In another bowl dust the blueberries with white flour, this is to try to prevent them from bleeding too much. Make a small well in the dry ingredients and in the center add the egg,oil,milk and the yogurt. Start mixing all the ingredients until you have a smooth well blended batter. Gently fold in the blueberries, and mix all ingredients thoroughly. If you over-mix the blueberries will break down and the batter will turn purple( of course it doesn't affect the taste only the color, so it could be a fun thing to try.)

3.Fill the tins/molds 3/4 of the way and bake for 20 minutes in center of the oven. After about 15 minutes check by inserting a toothpick in the center to see that they have baked all the way through. If the toothpick comes out with batter you'll need to continue baking until it's dry.


Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving them. If you are eating them the next day and would like them warm you can always microwave the muffins.
If you would like to see my recent Strawberry Green Tea Smoothie where I used Matcha and I give you some health information on this amazing tea you can see it here.

14 comments:

Judy May 23, 2010 at 11:36 AM  

I love it! What a wonderful creation, Nancy! I love matcha and miss all of the fabulous matcha desserts in Japan too. What a fabulous way to garnish life with a little matcha. :)

Bigarade May 23, 2010 at 12:48 PM  

Ive never had matcha,the fact that it is tea puts me off (I am a narrow minded tea hater),but i saw blueberry in the title and i just had to drop by!
these look amazing! :) great post!

Truffle Shuffle May 23, 2010 at 4:31 PM  

Matcha muffins... Definitely a new one on me! I would really like to try these. Sounds like a great bite for breakfast. Thanks for the recipe!

The Ardent Epicure

singerinkitchen May 23, 2010 at 6:31 PM  

WOW! This looks really good! I have been wanting to make something with Matcha!

Chef Dennis Littley May 23, 2010 at 8:04 PM  

Matcha tea is new to me, I just brought a few varieties in from the REpublic of Tea...did you know they have chocolate? sounds like a great addition of flavor to the muffin...thanks so much for the inspiration!
Cheers
Dennis

Belinda @zomppa May 23, 2010 at 8:44 PM  

Never baked with matcha before and this is a great reason to eat muffins. =)

Anonymous,  May 23, 2010 at 9:49 PM  

What a great idea! I made matcha white chocolate treats around the holidays. Now I have a reason to go buy some more matcha so I can make interesting muffins. :)

Rick May 24, 2010 at 8:31 AM  

How much goodness can you cram into a single muffin?!?!

Madhuri Krishna Bhat May 24, 2010 at 10:49 AM  

Sounds very unique. got to try if I find matcha tea powder

Liv Wan May 24, 2010 at 7:23 PM  

Hi Nancy,
This muffins looks so tasty and also so cute. I love the presentation of it.
Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous,  May 26, 2010 at 1:19 PM  

Great photos!

The Housewife May 26, 2010 at 6:19 PM  

I love matcha! This is such a great way to use it!

Nancy May 26, 2010 at 7:10 PM  

Thank you all for your comments and it's great to hear that you guys like Matcha and the recipe:)

Conor @ HoldtheBeef May 26, 2010 at 9:17 PM  

This is a flavour combination that you can't help but want to try when you hear it! Really creative and they came out beautifully. Nice ribbon too :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog. I love to hear from my readers so please leave your thoughts or questions below. Thank You!

(**PLEASE notice that comments with links are sent to the spam filter. This is not a place for you to advertise yourself.**)

Buy or Sell Food Photos!

View My PortfolioRoyalty Free Images

Support Me By Clicking on These Links:

living in Czech Republic Expat Women - Helping Women Living OverseasTopOfBlogsBuy Foodie artHonest Cooking The Food Magazine, Spicie Foodie , contributor

Followers

©2009-2011 All recipes, articles, blog post, content, and images (*Unless otherwise stated*) are the sole property of Spicie Foodie and Nancy Lopez-McHugh. They should not be used without prior written consent. You can contact me here

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP