Strawberry Green Tea Smoothie

>> Tuesday, April 27, 2010

 Strawberry Green Tea Smoothie

Strawberry season is here, and these beautiful red berries are on sale everywhere you look. The other day walking past my local fruit and vegetable shop I just couldn't resist them. They sat there looking so perfect and juicy ready to come home with me! After eating (OK I'll admit it , pigging out ) almost a whole package, I sat thinking what else can I do with all my strawberries???? The next day I was really looking for an afternoon pick me up, which usually has me reaching for another cup of tea. As I pulled the Matcha Tea , Japanese Green tea powder, the idea of making a smoothie with my yummy strawberries popped in my head.

I love both smoothies and Matcha but honestly have never tried a smoothie with Matcha in it, usually it's just with fruits. I've used this green tea powder as an ingredient in some baked goods, and I'm always looking for other ways to use it. Matcha is my favorite green tea because it just taste so good! , it has like a creamy texture and taste to it. There's really no other tea quite like it, and this is obvious in the price. Matcha is a more expensive tea but well worth the price, in my opinion, because you are paying for the quality.

Matcha tea is green tea leaves that have been finely ground into a powder. Since the tea itself are the ground leaves there is no waste like in a typical green tea where the leaves are steeped then discarded. The fact that we are ingesting the tea means that the body is also absorbing more of the healthy benefits found in the leaf, this also makes it a healthier or better tea than regular green tea. Matcha is rich in Antioxidants, a natural mood enhancer,cleans the body of toxins, is a zero on the Glycemic Index(will not raise insulin levels), and also contains catechins which are a renowned cancer fighting antioxidant. Matcha is also the tea used in a traditional Japanese tea ceremony.


So now that we have our health lesson for today we can move on to the recipe :)
fresh strawberries
Your ingredients : (1 serving)
8 strawberries
1 small tangerine
1/4 tsp. Matcha
7 ice cubes
1/3 cup / 100 ml milk (regular or soy)
honey to taste

Blender, strong enough to grinding ice cubes.

1. Wash and prepare the strawberries by removing the green stems and cut into halves. Place the ice cubes in the blender and blend until they have broken up completely. Next add the milk, strawberries, honey, tea, and squeeze the juice of the tangerine into the blender. Blend until smooth and serve! (You can experiment with adding or subtracting the amounts of the ingredients to get a thicker or thinner smoothie. )

healthy smoothie
Now this was the perfect afternoon pick me up with all the added benefits!

17 comments:

Anonymous,  April 27, 2010 at 1:58 PM  

What a unique smoothie creation! I love your addition of matcha! My next 5 Star makeover will be for smoothies & shakes and this will be just the perfect entry (i will announce the event in early May and there's a cool prize!)

Biren April 27, 2010 at 5:04 PM  

Wow....what a combination! Very creative!

kathy gori April 27, 2010 at 8:33 PM  

this looks great and I have all the ingredients right here..just waiting for some warm weather.

Pavithra Elangovan April 27, 2010 at 11:05 PM  

Beautiful drink with beautiful clicks.. looks awesome.

Simply Life April 28, 2010 at 8:11 AM  

Oh this smoothie sounds so nice and healthy!

Conor @ HoldtheBeef April 28, 2010 at 10:42 AM  

You're a genius, I say! Would love to get my mits on this. Sadly strawberry season has left us :(

Sook April 28, 2010 at 7:09 PM  

I love strawberries! Now that they are in season, I will have to go get some and make this! :)

mr. pineapple man April 28, 2010 at 10:01 PM  

looks so good! love the umbrella~ i used to always want to take it home :)

Liv Wan April 29, 2010 at 6:51 AM  

I love green tea and also strawberry.
Green tea is such healthy ingredients such as prevent cancer, losing weight......
Thank you for sharing.

Nancy April 29, 2010 at 10:41 AM  

@ 5StarFoodie, Great Thanks I'd be happy to participate.

@Biren,Kathy,Pavithra, Simply Life, Sook - Thanks :)

@ Connor , I'm working on a variation with fruits available year round, stay tuned!

@ Mr. Pineapple Man- me too :)

Biren April 29, 2010 at 2:38 PM  

Hi Nancy,

I enjoy reading your posts and recipes and have an award to share with you. Hope you will visit soon http://rotinrice.blogspot.com/2010/04/soybean-sprout-and-dried-tofu-stir-fry.html.

Biren

Juliana April 29, 2010 at 6:02 PM  

Wow, what a great combination...it looks so pretty...and healthy :-) Have to give this a try ;-)

sweetlife April 30, 2010 at 3:19 AM  

what a refreshing smoothie, especially since strawberries are at their best right now..

sweetlife

Elin Chia April 30, 2010 at 8:25 AM  

You are so creative...can see that this smoothies is healthy and taste good with the burst of great flavors all in one. I don't mind having this to start the day. Thanks for sharing this :)

Nancy April 30, 2010 at 11:46 AM  

@Biren - Thank you so much & Congrats to you:)

@ Juliana - Thanks & hope you do soon :)

@Sweetlife - :)

@ Elin - Thank you :) That would be a great way to start the day, wouldn't it !

Leslie July 12, 2010 at 2:57 PM  

Mmmm yeah! I'm on a matcha kick - and also a smoothie kick - so I'm kind of in love with you right now.

This recipe is eye-catching and totally awesome, and I'd love to see it in the linky party I'm hosting tomorrow on my blog (featuring recipes with strawberries). Join!

Nancy July 12, 2010 at 4:52 PM  

Hi Leslie,

Hehe, Thanks :) I will go take a look at your site and thanks for the invite.

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog. I love to hear from my readers so please leave your thoughts or questions below. Thank You!

(**PLEASE notice that comments with links are sent to the spam filter. This is not a place for you to advertise yourself.**)

Buy or Sell Food Photos!

View My PortfolioRoyalty Free Images

Support Me By Clicking on These Links:

living in Czech Republic Expat Women - Helping Women Living OverseasTopOfBlogsBuy Foodie artHonest Cooking The Food Magazine, Spicie Foodie , contributor

Followers

©2009-2011 All recipes, articles, blog post, content, and images (*Unless otherwise stated*) are the sole property of Spicie Foodie and Nancy Lopez-McHugh. They should not be used without prior written consent. You can contact me here

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP