Thai Fish Curry or Kaeng Khieu Wan Pla

>> Sunday, February 21, 2010

Thai Fish Curry,Kaeng Khieu Wan Pla
The previous post I shared a deliciously spicy Thai green curry paste form the "The Complete Asian Cookbook" by Charmaine Solomon. In her book she also shares a fantastic, super easy and very quick meal to use this curry paste with, Kaeng Khieu Wan Pla or green curry of fish.I love to make this light curry on a hot summer day, because it's so quick and I don't have to be in the kitchen too long. But now that I think about it this hassle free dish is a great dinner year round.
In addition to the ease involved in this meal, it's also a healthy dinner,because fish is lower in calories than meat and it's cooked without oil. Unfortunately the coconut milk will add some calories to the dish but I think just being mindful of this will help us make better choices when it comes to dessert or maybe taking in less calories the following day. All that being said the taste of this fish curry is well worth the coconut milk calories.
The recipe in the book is pretty much the way that I cook this fish curry, with the exception of a few things. I will post her version and my slightly different version, so you can choose what works best for you.

catfish curry
Your Ingredients:
(serves 4)
Charmaine Solomon's Version:
*1 lb or 500 grams fish steaks
2 1/2 cups coconut milk
*2 tablespoons green curry paste
*2 sprig citrus leaves
1 tsp salt
1 TB fish sauce
*1 or 2 small green chillies, seeded and chopped(optional)
*2 TB finely chopped fresh basil,finely chopped

*My variations:

1 lb or 500 grams fish fillets (pangasius catfish)
-Green curry paste, I make my own
I exchange the citrus leaves for 1 Tablespoon lime or lemon juice
-For a milder version omit the chillies
-exchange the fresh basil for fresh coriander
-add a piece of ginger either sliced into thin strips or finely diced

1. Wash the fish well , slice the ginger and chillies. Bring coconut milk to a slight boil with curry paste, stirring constantly. Add the fish, reduce heat and simmer with ginger, citrus leaves, salt and fish sauce until the fish i cooked through, about 15 minutes. If exchanging the citrus leaves for the lime/lemon juice, wait until the fish is cooked all the way through to add the juice otherwise it will slow down the cooking.
2. Once the fish is cooked through, add chillies (optional) and fresh basil, and cook for another 5 minutes. I you are exchanging the basil for the fresh cilantro, add the cilantro on top when serving, or you can add both the basil and cilantro they go well together.
Serve with steamed white rice and you're ready to enjoy!

curried fish fillets, green fish curry

14 comments:

Sook February 21, 2010 at 10:23 PM  

I LOVE CURRY! I've never had fish curry before but this looks so delicious!

Nancy February 23, 2010 at 12:55 PM  

Hi Sook, Oh you must try it soon

chow bella February 24, 2010 at 12:19 PM  

looks so good! I love the contrast of the bright green sauce with the slightly pink fish. I can't wait to try this...hopefully soon!

Mae February 24, 2010 at 9:33 PM  

Love the colors - fish curry is soooo good!

Nancy February 25, 2010 at 9:55 AM  

Hi Cassandra, Thanks:) Let me know how it works for you.

Hi Mae, Yes it is, isn't !

tam - a little bit burnt February 26, 2010 at 3:22 PM  

This looks so lovely! Love your blog!

-Tam (A Little Bit Burnt)

Sook February 26, 2010 at 6:54 PM  

OMG! This curry looks phenomenal! I love Thai curry!

Nancy February 27, 2010 at 9:44 AM  

Hi Tam, Thank you :)

Hi Sook, It was fantastic and can't wait to make it again soon.

MaryMoh February 27, 2010 at 12:21 PM  

That's beautiful green curry...mmm. I love everything Thai. This would be soooo good with rice.

Nancy February 27, 2010 at 3:41 PM  

Hi Mary, me too Thai food is so good! It's perfect with steamed rice, it's how I served it.

Koko March 6, 2010 at 12:41 PM  

This looks fabulous! It's the dish I ate every single day when I was in Thailand-mmmm. Sometimes I add a bit of pineapple or even pistachios to mine! I'm adding you to my blog roll :-)

Nancy March 7, 2010 at 8:08 PM  

Hi Koko, Thank you. I make a really good red Thai curry that I add pineapple to and you might like, http://spiciefoodie.blogspot.com/2009/09/luscious-thai-chicken-pineapple-curry.html , I haven't had curry with pistachios but it sounds good.

Anonymous,  March 8, 2010 at 6:59 PM  

I find myself staring at those pictures of perfectly cooked fish and imagining the explosion of flavors. This looks out of this world delicious!

Magic of Spice May 11, 2010 at 12:19 PM  

Looks great! I love cooking with fish, and I love spice:)

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog. I love to hear from my readers so please leave your thoughts or questions below. Thank You!

(**PLEASE notice that comments with links are sent to the spam filter. This is not a place for you to advertise yourself.**)

Buy or Sell Food Photos!

View My PortfolioRoyalty Free Images

Support Me By Clicking on These Links:

living in Czech Republic Expat Women - Helping Women Living OverseasTopOfBlogsBuy Foodie artHonest Cooking The Food Magazine, Spicie Foodie , contributor

Followers

©2009-2011 All recipes, articles, blog post, content, and images (*Unless otherwise stated*) are the sole property of Spicie Foodie and Nancy Lopez-McHugh. They should not be used without prior written consent. You can contact me here

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP