Malaysian Meat Curry Powder

>> Friday, October 2, 2009


Today I'm posting a curry powder recipe that you will need for the next recipe I will be posting. It is Malaysian meat curry powder, and a new curry powder in my spice shelf. Malaysian cuisine is new to my dinner table, but it's one that I have been curious about. Having never made Malaysian curry I need to do a Google search on what spices go into this meat curry powder. The recipe below comes from Rouxbe, an online cooking school. It is an excellent site that features delicious recipes and instruction videos. They also offer memberships to access more learning material.

Your ingredients:
10 whole cloves
10 whole black
peppercorns
4 whole cardamom pods
1 cinnamon stick (about
2-inches/5 cm)
4 whole dried red chilies
4 tbsp coriander seeds
2 tbsp cumin seeds
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp turmeric





1. First we will be toasting the spices, Rouxbe suggest to do it according to size,because the spices will toast at different rates. In a pan with medium heat add the cloves, cardamom and peppercorns. Toss a few times, and as soon as they begin to smoke and release their fragrance, set them aside to cool. Next toast the cinnamon stick and dried chilies, then toast the coriander seeds. And last we will toast the cumin and fennel seeds together.

2. Once the spices have cooled down, you can either grind them in a spice grinder or in a pestle and mortar. Grind all the spices except the turmeric, reserve it for the last minute. Grind until you have a fine powder or until you get the desired graininess you want. ( I leave mine a little grainy, but that's my personal choice.) Now you can add and mix the turmeric powder with all the other spices.



4 comments:

Unknown October 3, 2009 at 3:53 PM  

My gosh your spices make me want to run up to the kitchen and cook. My mouth is watering looking at the pictures!

Nancy October 4, 2009 at 5:17 PM  

Hi bakingbarb,
That's great to hear, I think it means I'm doing Ok with this blog:) Wait to you see the yummy thing I made using this spice mixture. Working on the post right now so come back.....

A Little Yumminess July 31, 2010 at 12:50 AM  

Thanks for this. Always better to make your own - I usually buy this! Exploring your blog and I love it!

Nancy August 2, 2010 at 10:14 AM  

@ A little Yumminess,
Thanks & glad to hear it. Come back often :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog. I love to hear from my readers so please leave your thoughts or questions below. Thank You!

(**PLEASE notice that comments with links are sent to the spam filter. This is not a place for you to advertise yourself.**)

Buy or Sell Food Photos!

View My PortfolioRoyalty Free Images

Support Me By Clicking on These Links:

living in Czech Republic Expat Women - Helping Women Living OverseasTopOfBlogsBuy Foodie artHonest Cooking The Food Magazine, Spicie Foodie , contributor

Followers

©2009-2011 All recipes, articles, blog post, content, and images (*Unless otherwise stated*) are the sole property of Spicie Foodie and Nancy Lopez-McHugh. They should not be used without prior written consent. You can contact me here

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP