Malaysian Chicken Curry Puffs, and a new cookbook

>> Sunday, October 4, 2009

Malaysian snacksMalaysian chicken curry puffs a first in my kitchen, and a dish that has become a favorite and one that I will cook frequently . Malaysian cuisine is one that has been on my checklist to learn and cook. I am not really sure why I didn't try it sooner, but thanks to our friend (aka frequent dinner guest :) ) it moved up on my foods to cook very quickly. While on a trip to Malaysia he picked me up a wonderful cook book. It is called "The Food Of Malaysia" and I love it! There are so many dishes to try and I've already made a few.


Normally when I cook I cook by feeling and don't follow specific instructions. When it's something completely new to me I usually research the dish to get a general idea of what ingredients go into it. Then I cook it my way, adjusting to my likes and wants to make it my own. But since I'm making these for the very first time I will follow the instructions in the cookbook. Below is the recipe as found in the cook book.

chicken curry puff pasty

Your ingredients: makes 40 pieces
For the filling~
5 tbsp. (75 ml) S oil
1 medium onion
1 tbsp. (10 ml) grated ginger
3 1/2 tsp (17 ml ) meat curry powder
1/2 tsp (2 ml) chili powder
1/2 tsp (2 ml) turmeric powder
2 large potatoes ( 500 grams / 1lb ) peeled,boiled and diced
2 tsp (10 ml )sugar
1/2 tsp (2 ml) black pepper
1 tsp salt
2 cups chicken meat (400 grams / 14 oz) or 2 large chicken breast, cooked and diced
1/4 cup (60 ml) water

Pastry ingredients:
3 1/2 cups (500 grams ) flour
150 grams (5 oz) butter or shortening
3/4 cup + 4 tsp (200 ml) water
1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt

1. In a skillet gently fry the onion and ginger until onion is golden brown. Next add the curry,chili and turmeric and fry for 3 minutes or until fragrant. Next add the potatoes,sugar,peeper and salt and cook for 10 minutes. Then add the chicken and water and cook until mixture is almost dry. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
2. Knead the pastry into a smooth dough, cover and set aside in a warm place for 30 minutes. Dividing the dough into 2 halves, roll each half on a floured surface to a 3 mm (1/8 in) thick. With a cookie cutter cut into the dough, 10 cm ( 4 in) circles in diameter. Fill center of each circular dough with 1 tbsp (15 ml) of chicken filling, fold in half and crimp and roll edges to form a simple wave pattern. Make sure the pouch is well sealed. Repeat until all the dough has been used.
3. Deep fry each puff until it is lightly golden brown on both sides, or you can bake them at 180 c (350f) for 30 minutes or until lightly golden. Serve hot or at room temperature, with a spicy chili sauce.

curry puff**Notes,I used commercially prepared pastry dough and baked the pastries instead of frying, this worked just fine. The pastries were flaky and absolutely delicious! I also made only half a recipe and cut the pastry into a bit bigger circles to serve as a main dish for dinner.
Next is the recipe for the chili sauce that was served to top the puffs. It was so good and added another unique taste.

Ginger Chili Sauce:
4 red chillies, sliced
3 cm (1 1/4 in) ginger,sliced
3 cloves of garlic
5 tbsp (75 ml) water
1 1/2 tbsp (22 ml) sugar
1 1/2 tbsp ( 22 ml)lime juice
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sesame oil (vegetable oil)
1. Grind all ingredients together in a mortar or in a blender. This sauce will keep in the refrigerator for 1 week. Enjoy!

These delicious puff pastries are so good and so easy to make. I did a little research and learned that they are a favorite Malaysian in-between meals snacks that were originally created by Indian cooks. They are apparently so popular that they are found everywhere and enjoyed at all hours of the day.

17 comments:

Thistlemoon October 5, 2009 at 5:31 PM  

That sounds really good. I love both the filling AND the sauce!

Nancy October 6, 2009 at 1:25 PM  

Hi JennDZ and Tasty Eats,
Thank you , they were so good. Every time I look at the picture and remember I want to run to the kitchen and make more :)hehe

Jessie October 6, 2009 at 1:34 PM  

mmmmm this sounds really tasty, I'm such a fan of the filling!

Nate @ House of Annie October 6, 2009 at 9:33 PM  

Malaysian curry puffs are really tasty. We haven't done those in a while. Have you tried using curry leaves when you cook the filling?

Nancy October 7, 2009 at 7:30 AM  

Jessie, It smelled so good when I was cooking it, that I couldn't wait and had to try it right away:)

Nate-n-Annie,Unfortunately I can't find curry leaves here - so I have to omit them from my recipes.

Unknown October 9, 2009 at 7:55 AM  

These puffs look and sound so delicious! It take some time, but I will definitely will be trying them out :) As for now, I am just admiring your pictures.

Nancy October 11, 2009 at 10:46 AM  

Hi Jurate,
Yes they do take a bit of time to cook,but it's really worth it:)

Angelica October 16, 2009 at 5:49 AM  

I was about to ask you about your pastry, but then I read that you used ready made pastry. That explains a lot since when I made these puffs the other day using the recipe for pastry provided above mine didn't look at all like yours....

I'll be making these puffs again, but I'll use ready made pastry. I didn't like the pastry that "came with the recipe".

Thanks for sharing this great recipe, the filling was delicious!

Nancy October 16, 2009 at 12:11 PM  

Hi Angelica,
Welcome:) , Sorry to hear the pastry recipe from the book didn't work out. I'm a bit lazy when it comes to making flaky pastry dough, so I always buy it from the store. Well also because my baking skills need a little work:) I've made these a couple of times now with store bought dough and it's come fantastic both times.
Good Luck !!

sandy November 7, 2009 at 10:25 AM  

Hello, the puffs look delicious! So much better than the bowl of granola I am eating right now... Just beautiful!

Nancy November 10, 2009 at 8:41 AM  

Hi Sandy~
Thanks , you should try them soon because they do taste better than granola :)

Kelly November 22, 2009 at 11:55 AM  

That ginger chili sauce looks like it would be great on just about everything!

Nancy November 23, 2009 at 12:33 PM  

Hi Kelly~ Yes , I didn't have any left over because it was so good:) I need to make a very large batch to use and try on other dishes.

Sri February 26, 2010 at 2:07 PM  

Nice blog. You have mentioned Indian cooks in your Ginger sauce recipe.Maybe I will write more about ginger related recipes.

Sri
http://lazycookzone.blogspot.com/

Nancy February 27, 2010 at 9:43 AM  

Hi Sri, Thank you , nice give you some inspiration :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog. I love to hear from my readers so please leave your thoughts or questions below. Thank You!

(**PLEASE notice that comments with links are sent to the spam filter. This is not a place for you to advertise yourself.**)

Buy or Sell Food Photos!

View My PortfolioRoyalty Free Images

Support Me By Clicking on These Links:

living in Czech Republic Expat Women - Helping Women Living OverseasTopOfBlogsBuy Foodie artHonest Cooking The Food Magazine, Spicie Foodie , contributor

Followers

©2009-2011 All recipes, articles, blog post, content, and images (*Unless otherwise stated*) are the sole property of Spicie Foodie and Nancy Lopez-McHugh. They should not be used without prior written consent. You can contact me here

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP