Happy Halloween ~ trick or treat pumpkin seeds

>> Thursday, October 29, 2009



Trick or Treat , Happy Halloween! Well no trick just a Halloween treat for you. Many of us are getting ready for Halloween by carving pumpkins, that means that there will be plenty of extra pumpkin seeds. This year instead of just throwing out the seeds I will be roasting them. I will be trying out and showing you 2 varieties or flavors to add to the seeds. The first is just a standard salt added to the seeds. The second was an experiment of using sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamom to spice the pumpkin seeds. how to roast pumpkin seeds

You will need:
pumpkin seeds, parchment paper, oil or melted butter (see note) , seasonings of your choice(optional) or salt

1. Preheat the oven at 225F / 121C , line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. After removing the seeds from the pumpkin rinse and clean off all the stringy bits of pumpkin.(note) If you are not using the parchment paper coat the cookie sheet with oil or melted butter. Using paper towels dry the seeds well or let them air dry.
2.Opting for a lower calorie version I did not use any oil nor butter. Instead I left the seeds a little bit damp so that the seasoning would stick to them. You can either season the seeds or leave them unseasoned. For one batch I put the seeds in a bowl added a little bit of sugar, cinnamon, a small pinch of nutmeg and cardamom, and tossed until the seeds were well coated. The second batch I tossed the seeds with a bit of salt.
3. Spread the seeds on the cookie sheet, try to have the seeds spread out evenly on one layer. Put in the preheated oven to toast. You can check on the seeds about 15 minutes into the toasting and with a wooden spoon move them around a bit. Roast for 30 minutes or until the seeds are brown and feel crispy.

pumpkin seeds with salt*seasoned with salt*pumpkin seeds with cinnamon*seasoned with spices*

Toasting pumpkin seeds is quite easy and fast and a great way to using up the seeds from your pumpkins. Trying this has convinced me not to throw out the seeds but instead enjoy them as a healthy snack. Both flavors were good, but adding the sugar and spices to the first batch made a nice sweet change on just regular pumpkin seeds. I think that you could really add any of your favorite spices to them, they are pretty versatile.

4 comments:

Unknown October 31, 2009 at 1:36 AM  

Very unique and resourceful. I've had pumpkin seeds on muffins, but it wasn't so tasty. I definitely want to try them sweet and seasoned with spices. I bet that tastes great :)

Nancy November 1, 2009 at 9:18 PM  

Hi Nomadic Gourmet,
I've never had pumpkin seeds on muffins.,hmn not tasty you say . Yes they were really good with the spices. I think the next experiment will be with some spicy flavors. I guess we'll see:)

Miranda November 4, 2009 at 7:12 AM  

I love pumpkin seeds any way, any how. This looks fantastic! I enjoy your site greatly!
I love the preserving the pumpkin puree! Awesome idea!!

Nancy November 5, 2009 at 9:33 AM  

Hi Miranda,
Thank you and I'm glad you enjoy my site. You are welcome to stop by any time :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog. I love to hear from my readers so please leave your thoughts or questions below. Thank You!

(**PLEASE notice that comments with links are sent to the spam filter. This is not a place for you to advertise yourself.**)

Buy or Sell Food Photos!

View My PortfolioRoyalty Free Images

Support Me By Clicking on These Links:

living in Czech Republic Expat Women - Helping Women Living OverseasTopOfBlogsBuy Foodie artHonest Cooking The Food Magazine, Spicie Foodie , contributor

Followers

©2009-2011 All recipes, articles, blog post, content, and images (*Unless otherwise stated*) are the sole property of Spicie Foodie and Nancy Lopez-McHugh. They should not be used without prior written consent. You can contact me here

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP