Calabacitas con Maiz or Mexican Zucchini with Corn

>> Thursday, June 16, 2011



Before I get to the recipe I would like to congratulate Radhika of Just Home Made for winning May's Honest Cooking feature. Congratulations Radhika and we will all be looking forward to reading your featured post at Honest Cooking.

Zucchini; Corn; Mexican; Recipe; tomato; onion; fresh; canned; vegetarian; vegan; side dish; healthy; mild; spicy; elote; maize; maiz; choclo
Maíz (Spanish for corn or maize) is the most important crop and ingredient in Mexican cuisine. Corn was domesticated in Mexico 10,000 years ago*, and as the time passed the crop spread throughout the Americas. After the conquistadors arrived it was then sent to Europe and later spread around the world. Nowadays there are thousands of variations of corn and it has become a very important crop around the world. The foundations of Mexican cuisine are held strong by this valuable crop. Without corn there would be no tortillas, and without tortillas there wouldn’t be tostadas, enchiladas, quesadillas, nor tacos. Lest not forget atole and champurrado. You get the point, Mexican food revolves around corn.

One of my favorite childhood dish uses corn as part of it’s foundation, Calabacitas con Maíz/Elote or Zucchini with Corn. My mom served it on the side of meat, like a steak. I loved, and still do, this side dish so much that I could eat only it and ignore the main dish. The sweet smell of onions caramelizing alongside the fresh scent of corn is unforgettable. The moist and mild zucchini absorbs the flavors of the corn and tomato perfectly. The tomatoes provide extra moisture and a little sweetness to the dish. The spices are minimal and all of the flavors come from the vegetables. It is fresh, healthy, light yet hearty enough to be served as a vegan meal.

Corn is not in season right now so canned corn will do for now. Zucchini however is in season and this is a great way to enjoy fresh seasonal zucchini. Once corn comes into season in a few months you can continue to enjoy the dish and compare the taste using canned versus fresh corn on the cob. There are also a few variations to my recipe that you could try to give the dish another dimension. Some people also add fresh Poblano chile, or for a spicier version Serrano or fresh Jalapenos can be added. Toppings such as crema fresca, Mexican sour cream, or crumbled queso fresco can be added to the zucchini. Personally I like it simple, no toppings and just the few ingredients you see in the recipe below. Buen Provecho and give this healthy low-fat dish a try this summer.

Zucchini; Corn; Mexican; Recipe; tomato; onion; fresh; canned; vegetarian; vegan; side dish; healthy; mild; spicy; elote; maize; maiz; choclo
ZUCCHINI WITH CORN
Serves: 2
INGREDIENTS :
1 large zucchini, quartered and sliced
1 can of corn or fresh corn when in season
1 large tomato, roughly chopped
1 small white onion,finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
salt, to taste
ground black pepper, to taste
1 tbsp. corn or vegetable oil

additional variations:
chile poblanos or spicy green chile like Serrano or Jalapeno
queso fresco and or Mexican sour cream, as a topping

1. Heat the oil, saute the onions until translucent. Next add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes stirring often. Add the corn and cook for 5 minutes. If using fresh corn cook until the corn becomes tender. Next add the tomatoes, zucchini and spices. Stir to combine the ingredients. Cover, turn the heat to low and continue to cook until the zucchini has soften and tomatoes have broken apart.

2. Taste and adjust seasoning if desired. Serve warm as a side dish or as a vegan meal. If using any of the suggested toppings add them before serving.
Zucchini; Corn; Mexican; Recipe; tomato; onion; fresh; canned; vegetarian; vegan; side dish; healthy; mild; spicy; elote; maize; maiz; choclo
What is your favorite way of eating and cooking zucchini?



Other Zucchini Recipes :
- Crispy Zucchini Coins, A Vegan Delight! , Spicie Foodie-Summer Salad with Vanilla Vinaigrette, Kitchen Konfidence
- Zucchini Blossoms and More, Honest Cooking, The Food Magazine
- Chocolate Zucchini Cake, Scandi Foodie



34 comments:

Nandita SS June 16, 2011 at 9:38 AM  

So simple yet such a delectable recipe. Loved the post :)

Erin June 16, 2011 at 9:45 AM  

Oh, I love zucchini. This looks awesome!

Nancy June 16, 2011 at 9:45 AM  

@Paaka Shaale, Yes so simple indeed. But not when it comes to the flavors, that's what is so great about this dish.

@Emiliy, Thanks!

Nancy June 16, 2011 at 9:46 AM  

@Erin, Thank you and glad to hear it!

Charissa June 16, 2011 at 10:30 AM  

Awww, yay! We're friends on Food Buzz now...love that site, so much!

This dish looks amazing...I love zuchinni so much...I like just having it steamed with onions...and then seasoned with spices. I actually have a recipe for it on my site. Thanks for sharing yours!

Nancy June 16, 2011 at 10:40 AM  

@Charissa, Thanks for the add! Oh that sounds good. I'll have to stop by next time I want to make zucchini again.

Alina---Explora Cuisine June 16, 2011 at 10:42 AM  

Love the combination with corn, very interesting because I've never tried it before, thank you for sharing!

Heidi @ Food Doodles June 16, 2011 at 10:56 AM  

Mmm, that looks delicious! I always need news ways to use up the zucchini I get from my garden :D

claudia lamascolo June 16, 2011 at 12:09 PM  

Such a perfect dish for summer so pretty too!

Torviewtoronto June 16, 2011 at 12:09 PM  

delicious combination perfect way to have seasonal vegetables

Anonymous,  June 16, 2011 at 2:26 PM  

just needs some queso fresco and crema San Juan style and perfect just like the one we eate when growin up in mexico!!!

Nancy June 16, 2011 at 3:07 PM  

@Alina, Thanks!

@Heide, Thanks!

@Claudia, Thank you!

@Torviewtoronto, Thanks!

@Belinday, Thanks!

@Anonymous, Yes exactly! It would complete the sensory memories and tummy :)

Kimberly (unrivaledkitch) June 16, 2011 at 3:23 PM  

I've eaten this all growing up but we put jack cheese in ours. I love it yum!

Michelle Chin June 16, 2011 at 3:42 PM  

Looks good to go with wild rice and lima beans. :D

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake June 16, 2011 at 4:57 PM  

I love zucchini fritters, but this salad looks darn tasty!

Chef Dennis Littley June 16, 2011 at 5:43 PM  

what a beautiful dish Nancy! Corn is actually in season around here, we are seeing it everywhere in the grocers, I'm not sure what state its coming from but its been sweet and tender! Of course you know my favorite way to serve zucchini is as a blossom!

Cooking Rookie June 17, 2011 at 1:59 AM  

I love these recipe! So simple and healthy, this could be so nice for an outdoors dinner on a cool summer evening....

Carolyn June 17, 2011 at 5:28 AM  

I studied archaeology in undergrad and one of the turning points in the prehistory of the Americas was the domestication of maize. Incredibly important stuff! Delicious too, especially in this dish.

Maria June 17, 2011 at 5:56 AM  

This is so gorgeously colourful and aromatic - sounds incredibly tasty!

Nancy June 17, 2011 at 6:28 AM  

@Kimberly, Sounds yummy!

@Michelle, Yes I bet it would be.

@Lizzy, Thanks!

@Chef Dennis, Oh that is great that corn is already available there. Yes I know you love the yummy blossoms :)

@Cooking Rookie, Thank you, and yes perfect for that.

@Carolyn, Makes you wonder what if, if maize hadn't been domesticated. Thanks!

@Maria, Thank you Maria:)

Patty Price June 17, 2011 at 5:38 PM  

Hi Nancy, my mother made the same dish without the corn, that cracks me up because I think the corn is the best part;-)
Have a nice weekend!

Tiffany June 17, 2011 at 9:40 PM  

This is the perfect summer lunch (or dinner or snack!).

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table June 18, 2011 at 9:16 AM  

Gorgeous dish! I can't get enough zucchini right now. It's so refreshing in the summer!

My latest fav: zucchini oatmeal. Like the bread, but acceptable for breakfast. :)

Jeanette June 18, 2011 at 10:53 AM  

Congrats on Top 9 at Foodbuzz - this side dish looks delicious! Easy, simple and healthy!

Hester Casey - Alchemy June 18, 2011 at 4:20 PM  

Lovely dish - I learn so much about Mexican food from your blog Nancy. Delicious!

Jill | Dulce Dough June 18, 2011 at 5:31 PM  

Looks amazing! I am saving this for when our zucchini is ready!

GourmetGetaways June 18, 2011 at 7:20 PM  

I love this dish, I have had it in restaurants and find it so delicious. Thank you so much for the recipe :)

Cooking Gallery June 19, 2011 at 6:10 AM  

This looks wonderful...! My mouth can't stop watering...!!

Jayanthy Kumaran June 19, 2011 at 6:50 AM  

sounds absolutely yummmmmmmy...
first time here..love your space..excellent recipe collection with gorgeous clicks..
Am your happy subscriber now..:)
do stop by mine sometime..
Tasty Appetite

Sandra June 19, 2011 at 10:16 PM  

This looks amazingly delicious Nancy, and so colorful and festive! I love this recipe!
My favorite zucchini meal is probably in a bread form with cheese, egg and flour..it is just fantastic combination!

Magic of Spice June 20, 2011 at 7:53 PM  

This could be my favorite dish of yours...or at least in the high favs range, no probably a good solid favorite :) Oh OK... so I love them all but I can still have favorites right?!:)I adore everything here and have both fresh zucchini as well as corn in my possession :)

Cathy @ What Would Cathy Eat June 28, 2011 at 11:20 PM  

I might serve this as a side dish with my vegan tacos. Yum!

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog. I love to hear from my readers so please leave your thoughts or questions below. Thank You!

(**PLEASE notice that comments with links are sent to the spam filter. This is not a place for you to advertise yourself.**)

Buy or Sell Food Photos!

View My PortfolioRoyalty Free Images

Support Me By Clicking on These Links:

living in Czech Republic Expat Women - Helping Women Living OverseasTopOfBlogsBuy Foodie artHonest Cooking The Food Magazine, Spicie Foodie , contributor

Followers

©2009-2011 All recipes, articles, blog post, content, and images (*Unless otherwise stated*) are the sole property of Spicie Foodie and Nancy Lopez-McHugh. They should not be used without prior written consent. You can contact me here

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP