Downward Facing Dog and Pain Perdu

>> Tuesday, June 14, 2011



Recipe; Pain Perdu; French Toast; eggy toast; toast; sweet; breakfast; dessert; eggs; bread; Brioche; bread; pain de mie; loaf of bread; sugar; syrup; fresh fruit; merunky; apricots; receta; pan frances; Torrijas frances; Torrijas; Spicie Foodie; food; blog; food blog; easy; fast
Being gently woken up by the warm sunshine on my face followed by a little tail wagging is a great way to start the day. As soon as my scruffy Panchito hears or sees me waking from my slummer he is there ready with a tail wag and my morning hug. I sit up and reach for my glasses, then my little guy puts his paws on my lap and moves in closer for our hug. A gentle squeeze, a little kiss on his furry head and a good morning to my little man. Rain or shine, hot or cold, Panchito is there every morning offering a hug, smile, love and just being my ray of sunshine.

Recipe; Pain Perdu; French Toast; eggy toast; toast; sweet; breakfast; dessert; eggs; bread; Brioche; bread; pain de mie; loaf of bread; sugar; syrup; fresh fruit; merunky; apricots; receta; pan frances; Torrijas frances; Torrijas; Spicie Foodie; food; blog; food blog; easy; fast
Our morning routine before heading out for our morning walk changes from time to time, but Panchito's love is constant. Recently I finally pushed myself to get back to practicing Yoga. This time I have been waking up earlier than usual to move through my Asanas before I head out with Panchito and start my day. He patiently waits for me to finish, sitting closely and observing my downward dog, probably wondering why I'm imitating him or thinking I'm doing it wrong. As I roll up my Yoga mat and head to put myself together, my little shadow is there by my side. He sits in the bathroom quietly waiting and observing my every move. Next up is Daddy's turn, a good morning and repeat of the love and attention offered to me now on to my husband.

The weather has been so beautiful, sunny and warm. We've been taking advantage of it and the three of us heading out for family walks. We are lucky not only because of the weather but because we can do things like this together and have a sweet loyal four legged companion to share it with. Even if our Panchito isn't always the most well behaved dog once he heads outdoors, I wouldn't trade him or the wonderful 12+ years he has given us. I'm a very lucky girl for having two of the most loving and caring companions in the world, I love my boys more than anything. Yes even more than chocolate but it's a close call, just kidding.

Recipe; Pain Perdu; French Toast; eggy toast; toast; sweet; breakfast; dessert; eggs; bread; Brioche; bread; pain de mie; loaf of bread; sugar; syrup; fresh fruit; merunky; apricots; receta; pan frances; Torrijas frances; Torrijas; Spicie Foodie; food; blog; food blog; easy; fast
You may be wondering what my scruffy terrier has to do with Pain Perdu. He loves it, more specifically he loves the bread it is made with. But lets backup a bit, Pain Perdu means "lost bread" in French and to many of us it is simply know as French toast. In France Pain Perdu is a dessert and not a breakfast dish like it is in many of our homes. It is served with a dusting of powdered sugar and jam or also fruit and butter. Pain Perdu is know all over the world and there are many variations in the toppings and ingredients used. Pain Perdu is always made with day-old or slightly stale bread. That is were the name starts making sense, "Because it is a way to reclaim stale or "lost" bread." per Wikipedia. The bread my husband and I prefer to use for French toast is Brioche. Brioche is buttery, soft, moist, slightly sweet and just plain delicious. Brioche also makes a great snack, we often purchase bags of small Brioche rolls for the three of us to share. If you have a Brioche around Panchito beware, he will stop at nothing to get his share. This morning's Pain Perdu was made with a loaf of yummy Brioche. (Panchito also went nuts for it, evidence below. )
Recipe; Pain Perdu; French Toast; eggy toast; toast; sweet; breakfast; dessert; eggs; bread; Brioche; bread; pain de mie; loaf of bread; sugar; syrup; fresh fruit; merunky; apricots; receta; pan frances; Torrijas frances; Torrijas; Spicie Foodie; food; blog; food blog; easy; fast
But if you do not have Brioche you can use thick bread slices (pain de mie), challah or really any slightly stale bread you don't want to waste. Breakfast or dessert it makes a great treat for the whole family. Bon Appetit!

Recipe; Pain Perdu; French Toast; eggy toast; toast; sweet; breakfast; dessert; eggs; bread; Brioche; bread; pain de mie; loaf of bread; sugar; syrup; fresh fruit; merunky; apricots; receta; pan frances; Torrijas frances; Torrijas; Spicie Foodie; food; blog; food blog; easy; fast
Pain Perdu or French Toast Ingredients:
Makes 6 slices for 2 hungry humans and one curious Pup!

6 slices of day-old Brioche or thick bread slices (pain de mie), challah really any slightly stale bread
3 large eggs
1 tbsp whole milk
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
vanilla, optional
small pinch of salt
butter for pan

Some Suggested Toppings:
Maple syrup
powdered sugar
fresh fruit
fruit jam
butter

1. Heat a large pan or griddle. While the the pan/griddle is heating up in a large and shallow container lightly beat the eggs with the milk, cinnamon and salt. Melt enough butter to properly coat the pan/griddl. Make sure the heat is not to high so the butter and toast does not burn. Dip the bread slices into the egg mixture and allow to soak for a couple of minutes, turning once. Gently place the soaked bread on the hot pan/griddle. Cook each slice for about 3 minutes or until golden. CAREFUL not to burn the toast. It will be firm yet soft. Repeat the process until all of the bread has been cooked.

2.Dust with powdered sugar, top with fruit and drizzle with maple syrup. Or serve as desired with any of the suggested toppings.

* TIP* If you do not have stale or day old bread ready, slice the bread being used and leave on the counter for about 30 minutes or longer until ready to use.
** If your puppy is having a taste make sure his/her share has no powdered sugar, maple syrup or any other sweetener.**

Recipe; Pain Perdu; French Toast; eggy toast; toast; sweet; breakfast; dessert; eggs; bread; Brioche; bread; pain de mie; loaf of bread; sugar; syrup; fresh fruit; merunky; apricots; receta; pan frances; Torrijas frances; Torrijas; Spicie Foodie; food; blog; food blog; easy; fast

Other scrumptious French Toast recipes :
-Simply Recipes, French Toast
- Nourished Kitchen, Sourdough French Toast with Maple and Cinnamon
- The Winter Guest, Torrijas (Spanish French Toast)
- Brooke Dowdy via Honest Cooking, Weekend Brunch: Spiked French Toast
- Coconut and Almond French Toast
- Tracey's Culinary Adventures Chocolate Mascarpone Stuffed French Toast with Strawberry Topping




31 comments:

Nandita SS June 14, 2011 at 6:56 AM  

What a wonderful write up!!! You are lucky indeed to have such a loving dog. The pain perdu looks beautiful. Loved the first photograph :)

Hester Casey - Alchemy June 14, 2011 at 7:09 AM  

I bet Panchito does a really excellent downward facing dog. In fact, his ancestors probably inspired that asana.

One of my favourite asanas is 'Pain Perdu Salutation with a spoon' :) This looks like a superb example.

Nancy June 14, 2011 at 7:27 AM  

@Paaka Shaale, Thank you!

@Hester Casey, Yes he does :) Now that sounds like a great Asana, hehe! Thanks!

Emily Malloy June 14, 2011 at 9:39 AM  

The photos are out of this world.

spcookiequeen June 14, 2011 at 12:48 PM  

I really need some french toast for breakfast now. I should have eaten, prior to reading this. In case you haven't heard it, "Beware of those down-ward facing dogs", you might find your self face to face with a dog that wants a smooch. Hope you have a great one.
-Gina-

Michelle Chin June 14, 2011 at 4:33 PM  

best eaten with ice cream. :D

Anonymous,  June 14, 2011 at 4:37 PM  

I loooove the way you photographed this whole shoot. It's magical how you caught the light. Seriuosly, your photography is inspiring!

Nancy June 14, 2011 at 4:43 PM  

@Emily, Thanks!

@Gina, Lol, you are too funny :)

@Michelle, Oh yes, yes!

@Charissa, Than you so much :)

Erin June 14, 2011 at 5:03 PM  

WOW!! I mean, the food sounds wonderful, and the post is great - but your pictures are just amazing! I am trying to improve my photography, but you should teach a class or something!

Nancy June 14, 2011 at 5:45 PM  

@Erin, Thank you :) Keep practicing and you'll achieve that look you want for your photography. I do have some tutorials up there under photography, if you're interested. Have a great day!

Gerry @Foodness Gracious June 14, 2011 at 5:57 PM  

Great writing and pictures to boot....Thanks for sharing!

Elyse @The Cultural Dish June 14, 2011 at 6:41 PM  

mmm looks delicious! I can see why your dog loves it! :) I've also started yoga again and it feels so great waking up in the morning and starting my day with a little yoga and great breakfast!

Sandra June 14, 2011 at 6:46 PM  

Ohh what a nice story and I have to tell you it relaxed me as soon as I finished..you have some kind of magic:))) Recipe is wonderful as well as your stunning pictures..I am glad that you are doing alright and soaking this nice summer weather!

Unknown June 14, 2011 at 6:53 PM  

Your Panchito is just the cutest little dog ever! You're a very lucky girl indeed to have had 12+ years of his love and brioche obsession...LOL. The pain perdue is something I could have for breakfast AND as a dessert, you already know I have no qualms about timing when it comes to satisfying my horrendous sweet tooth!

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake June 14, 2011 at 7:42 PM  

Scrumptious breakfast...and what sweet puppy photos!!!

claudia lamascolo June 14, 2011 at 8:27 PM  

These photos are fabulous I wish I had some of this talent you are just amazing!

Lisa | Authentic Suburban Gourmet June 15, 2011 at 12:39 AM  

First I am huge doggie fan and yours is super cute! Second, I just got home from work about an hour ago and just wish I had a plate of this pain perdu right now - looks delish!!

Cooking Rookie June 15, 2011 at 12:47 AM  

Yum, delicious french toast! And a super cute upward facing dog :-)

Magic of Spice June 15, 2011 at 12:55 AM  

Oh goodness this looks good, and I am with Panchito with the Brioche :) Just so you know...I like butter and a bit of powdered sugar, fruit on the side (you know in case you want to make me breakfast)...:)
So glad you are enjoying sunny days, hugs

Shirley June 15, 2011 at 6:03 AM  

The pics are so refreshing, has that classic morning look.

Sonia June 15, 2011 at 11:20 AM  

Hi There, This is looking absolutely delightful. Loved the new combo of ingredients and the recipe is so nicely made and presented. Saving this recipe of urs and wud love to give ur version a try on the coming weekend. Have a great day….Sonia !!!

Nikki @ The Tolerant Vegan June 15, 2011 at 1:52 PM  

Awww I love this post, it made me smile from ear to ear! Your little pooch is so precious. Having pets to share life with is such a blessing, one that I think that people without pets can't understand until they welcome one in their lives.

muppy June 15, 2011 at 7:01 PM  

French toast is one of my favourite things. I love that it translates as lost bread! I sometimes make my hubby cook it for me :)
Our poor fluffy companion has been neglected :( as the weather here has been so wet.

Patty Price June 15, 2011 at 8:47 PM  

This is a very relaxing read, I think you've really captured a light happy mood in this post. It was a pleasure to read and your recipe and photos are beautiful, as always ;-)

Frank June 15, 2011 at 10:03 PM  

Pain perdu (we call it 'French toast' over here) truly is one of life's simple pleasures. :)

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen June 15, 2011 at 11:38 PM  

What a nice way to start the day. That little brioche monster you've got there is pretty darn cute!

FamilySpice June 16, 2011 at 5:22 PM  

We use hearty whole grain toast for our version, but deep down the brioche is calling my name!

Sarah-Jane - SiliconeMoulds.com June 17, 2011 at 6:02 AM  

French toast is such a versatile dish - whether savoury or sweet and a fanastic storecupboard meal. I'll need to try making it with brioche !

You dog looks a real sweetie.

Nancy June 17, 2011 at 6:24 AM  

Thank you everyone for all your sweet comments. I'm always glad to hear you enjoy the same treats that we do :)

Kulsum@JourneyKitchen June 17, 2011 at 4:28 PM  

I don't like dogs and yet yours looks so sweet to me and that's saying something :-) Lovely recipe. French toast is one of my favorite breakfast indulgence :-)

Sandra June 17, 2011 at 7:35 PM  

Panchito is adorable. We had a rottweiler for 11 years and had to put him down because he'd gotten so ill. He liked crackers and popcorn and I'm sure he would've love brioche. Love the story and recipe.

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog. I love to hear from my readers so please leave your thoughts or questions below. Thank You!

(**PLEASE notice that comments with links are sent to the spam filter. This is not a place for you to advertise yourself.**)

Buy or Sell Food Photos!

View My PortfolioRoyalty Free Images

Support Me By Clicking on These Links:

living in Czech Republic Expat Women - Helping Women Living OverseasTopOfBlogsBuy Foodie artHonest Cooking The Food Magazine, Spicie Foodie , contributor

Followers

©2009-2011 All recipes, articles, blog post, content, and images (*Unless otherwise stated*) are the sole property of Spicie Foodie and Nancy Lopez-McHugh. They should not be used without prior written consent. You can contact me here

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP