Crispy Zucchini Coins, A Vegan Delight! And Winter Wonderland

>> Tuesday, December 7, 2010



**UPDATE* Thanks to Anonymous and veggietestkitchen for catching my typo mistake. I forgot to add the tips to the recipe on how to make the coins vegan, oops! Please see the updated tips towards the end of the recipe.**

Fried zucchini; zucchini beignets; coins; fried; zucchini; vegetables; squash; summer squash; green; battered and fried; deep fried; toasted; tostones; rounds; vegan; vegetarian; salad; receta; recipe; organic; yellow; ribbon; up close; detailed; calabacita; calabazita; calabacin; verdes; green squash
Greetings from the winter wonderland that is Prague. Brrr! Anyone else freezing? It's been so snowy with below zero temperatures for a few weeks now. In Europe many of the older buildings are stone and not energy efficient what so ever, I have the heating bill to prove it. Our flat is cold year round, which in the Summer is excellent. While everyone in the higher floors is burning up I actually wear a light sweater or step out into the balcony just to warm up, but unfortunately it stays cold in the colder months. We weather proof our windows but still with the original windows from the early 1900s the cold breeze still creeps in. I think if our heating system machine thingy ( what is it called?) had hands and could talk it would give us the finger and call the union to try to sue us for overworking it. I kinda feel bad for it since it's churning along all day and night keeping us warm. Technically winter doesn't start for another 13 days so hopefully this beautiful winter wonderland will not turn into a tundra yucky land. But I do have to say that all the snow really makes everything look so beautiful and so much fun to go out and see. Our little puppy loves it, so much in fact that he gets angry when we tell him it's time to go home before his little stick legs turn to icicles.
Fried zucchini; zucchini beignets; coins; fried; zucchini; vegetables; squash; summer squash; green; battered and fried; deep fried; toasted; tostones; rounds; vegan; vegetarian; salad; receta; recipe; organic; yellow; ribbon; up close; detailed; calabacita; calabazita; calabacin; verdes; green squash
Today I have a really simple recipes for a vegan delight, Crispy Zucchini Coins. Oh why, oh why does fried food have to taste so great? Some of you may remember from my previous post that I don't like to fry food. But not because some fried foods don't taste delicious, it's because fried foods give me an upset stomach with horrible heartburn. (I know I sound like an old person, hehe.) I always have to make sure I have antacid and if that doesn't reduce it then sometimes I'll try a yogurt. But even then some foods like fried fast foods I'll still have the upset stomach until the next day. I also don't like that fried food makes the house smell bad like, well fried food and I hate that smell. The other reason is as everyone knows fried foods are not a healthy choice and so it is only once in a great while that I will prepare anything fried. Always look for healthier alternatives. On that note this may not be the healthiest thing in the world but it's OK to give yourself treats like this but be mindful when it comes to the other foods choices for a couple of meals after.
Fried zucchini; zucchini beignets; coins; fried; zucchini; vegetables; squash; summer squash; green; battered and fried; deep fried; toasted; tostones; rounds; vegan; vegetarian; salad; receta; recipe; organic; yellow; ribbon; up close; detailed; calabacita; calabazita; calabacin; verdes; green squash
Ingredients: (serves 2)
1 large zucchini
1 cup bread crumbs* ( you could also use Panko or pre-seasoned breadcrumbs)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. granulated garlic
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1 large egg lightly beaten or vegan version I use a little oil * ( see tips for other vegan version)

sunflower oil for frying
slotted spoon or thongs
plate covered with paper towels to drain excess oil

* - For vegan version read the ingredients list and make sure the bread used did not contain any animal products. Or you can also make your own vegan bread and make the breadcrumbs yourself. I often do this with great results.
*- Eggs can be replaced with Egg Replacers or I usually just brush the zucchini (or anything I'm frying) with a little bit of oil to coat the surface. Then I dredge the coins in the bread crumbs and fry. You could also first dip the coins into soy milk or oat milk then dredge in breadcrumbs. I prefer the oat milk as it's thicker like an egg.

1. Heat 2 inches (5 cm) deep of oil in a deep frying pan. It is typically recommended to heat the oil to a temperature of 375F or 190C, so a if you have a frying thermometer that would really come in handy. If you do not own a thermometer use this handy tip from About.com "If you don't have a thermometer, the oil is ready when a 1" cube of white bread dropped into the oil browns in 60 seconds; that oil temperature will be about 365 degrees F. "
2. In a small bowl mix the spices and breadcrumbs until the spices are well distributed. Taste the batter and adjust if you like. Beat the egg in a separate bowl. Pat dry the zucchini, then cut off both ends. Slice the zucchini into 1/4 inch or 1/2 cm round coins. Once all of the zucchini has been sliced dip a couple of the coins in the egg then dredge in the seasoned breadcrumbs. Make sure they are all well coated with the bread crumbs. Fry in hot oil for about 3 minutes when they should turn lightly golden brown. Place the fried coins on the plate with paper towels to drain off excess oil. Repeat until all of the zucchini coins have been fried then allow to cool before serving.
** veggietestkitchen, has also suggested these tips: "You could just melt a vegan butter (or use a flaxseed-water mixture which simulates eggs nicely) and coat the zucchini in that before dipping them in the bread crumbs. "
Fried zucchini; zucchini beignets; coins; fried; zucchini; vegetables; squash; summer squash; green; battered and fried; deep fried; toasted; tostones; rounds; vegan; vegetarian; salad; receta; recipe; organic; yellow; ribbon; up close; detailed; calabacita; calabazita; calabacin; verdes; green squash
You can serve the coins as a side dish, as an appetizer or add them to a salad for a crunchy taste. The zucchini coins taste so good on their own that they would also make a great snack.
Fried zucchini; zucchini beignets; coins; fried; zucchini; vegetables; squash; summer squash; green; battered and fried; deep fried; toasted; tostones; rounds; vegan; vegetarian; salad; receta; recipe; organic; yellow; ribbon; up close; detailed; calabacita; calabazita; calabacin; verdes; green squash

The last thing I want to tell you about is this ↓looks yummy doesn't it?
Healthier Butter Chicken,Spicie Foodie's Healthier Butter Chicken
This beautiful and drool inducing photo belongs to the very talented Gina from What's For Dinner Across State Line. I'm sure many of you (if not all of you) know Gina and her scrumptious website. This photo is Gina's recreation of my Healthier Butter Chicken recipe from my cookbook. I can't tell you how giddy it made me feel when I saw Gina had cooked one of my recipes. Such a cool feeling! It's also specially great because I've admired her blog for a long time and it is so much fun reading her blog. She has the best sense of humor and every time I visit she makes me laugh, which is always a great thing! She's a super busy person and even so she took the time to make the Garam Masala from scratch! So please can you all stop by Gina's blog and say hi to her, take a look around and you'll see just what a cooking genius she is. Thank you Gina:)

46 comments:

Biren @ Roti n Rice December 7, 2010 at 8:43 AM  

These zucchini coins look very tasty. I don't like deep frying foods too especially in the winter but they do taste so good and I do it once in a long, long while. I fried some this past weekend as we had company :)

Your winter pictures are lovely. We have lots of snow here in Minnesota and the temperatures are already in the low single digits fahrenheit which is negative celcius. It will get really brutal in January....brrrrr!!!

Unknown December 7, 2010 at 9:06 AM  

I like your idea of putting these in a salad, of course they would be perfect eaten plain as well. I want to try your butter chicken recipe, it does look delicious! Your snowy photos are beautiful, stay warm:)

Stella December 7, 2010 at 9:40 AM  

I love fried foods too, Nancy. Especially when it's cold outside like it is on your side of the world. I would love a few (or more) of your zucchini coins even though we're only at 46 degrees here today;). They look delicious. Plus, there is nothing like fried zucchini-yum!
Sorry they hurt your stomach a bit too. I think oil does that to most people...
p.s. my apartment is so cold too b/c of the old windows. I wore socks to bed last night (smile).

Anonymous,  December 7, 2010 at 9:48 AM  

These are very pretty and I love how crispy they look! I like the flavors with granulated garlic!

Sandra December 7, 2010 at 10:40 AM  

That looks absolutely amazing Nancy! Photos are fantastic as always!

Anna's Table December 7, 2010 at 10:48 AM  

What beautiful "winter wonderland" pictures! Europe really got hit hard,even before we did. Montreal had its first major snowstorm yesterday.Your zucchini coins look delicious, and must be quite addictive with all that crispy coating..

Nancy December 7, 2010 at 11:07 AM  

@Biren, Thanks :) I saw your beautiful photos from your winter storm. I bet it does get really cold there, brrr and stay warm.

@Patty, Yes good either way:) I hope you try it and let me know what you think.

@Stella, Wow it's warm there, hehe. Yeah it must be the oli. Haha we are so sexy with our socks in bed. I were them all winter long :)

@Natasha, Thanks:)

@Sandra, Thank you, you are so sweet:)

@Anna, Thank you. Yes a little to early for my liking. Montreal must look so beautiful with all the snow.

Belinda @zomppa December 7, 2010 at 11:08 AM  

Yes, it's freezing, though not as pretty where you are! I"m jealous. These I could pop many...and feel good that I'm eating veggies (the potato chips in my mouth don't count, I suppose).

Nancy December 7, 2010 at 11:14 AM  

Hi Belinda,
I'll happily ship you some of our snow :) Right, that is a great way to get those veggies in our diet, hehe. Too bad potato chips don't count.

Roxan December 7, 2010 at 11:19 AM  

Nancy it's so beautiful over there right now! As much as i love the mild climate where I live i do wish for a few days of winter wonderland. These zucchini coins look delicious. I don't like frying either - mainly for the caloric reasons, but also because it makes such a huge mess and I don't like cleaning it up.

Liv Wan December 7, 2010 at 11:23 AM  

Hello Nancy,
Hi5 to you first for the heating bill. Most of buildings in Edinburgh are very old too. (around 1900s period too.) So, even we turn on heating most of time still not warm enough. But I'm just like you. I love snow. Even it cause me a lot of trouble to go to work or come back home. lol I love both of your snow photos ,food photo and new recipe. I'm trying to get hold of your cook book too as well. But I'm still waiting because a lot of airport in UK were closed due to the heavy snow. Take care and stay warm! xxx

Claudia December 7, 2010 at 11:53 AM  

I'm with you on winter - I think it hit zero this morning with a high of ten degrees above zeo (F) and we are a snowy wonderland. I don't fry a lot - but I love to make exceptions and this is one of them. I'd love to serve this Christmas Eve - I can't do anything with eggs because of allergies but shall think about how to adhere the coating to the zucchini.

whatsfordinneracrossstatelines December 7, 2010 at 11:56 AM  

Thank you Nancy for your kind mentions of me! Your winter wonderland is an amazing sight, so you probably won't like it when I tell you the sun is out and shining here today at my house is CA! I love fried foods too, they are okay every once and a while as a treat. I'm still shivering thinking about how cold it must be over there. We have the reverse problem here, we work our air conditioners to death in the summer.
-Gina-

Trish December 7, 2010 at 1:11 PM  

Your winter wonderland pictures are beautiful. I miss snow. Here in Cali we don't get any :( The zucchini coins look tasty. I just checked out Gina's blog and the chicken dish looks amazing! Love all the spices and I can tell the sauce is flavorful and delicious.

Gourmet Getaway December 7, 2010 at 4:45 PM  

The pictures of the snow look absolutely magic! So beautiful. I have exactly the same feeling about fried foods, they do look nice though, I always love your images.

How great that someone is already cooking from your recipe book. I have recieved notification that mine has been shipped so I can't wait... any day now there will be lovely spicie aromas coming from my kitchen.

Torviewtoronto December 7, 2010 at 4:58 PM  

delicious presentation and snack

Chef Dennis Littley December 7, 2010 at 5:07 PM  

Nancy
i know what you mean about fried foods, but there are certain foods that just become magical when you fry them, zuchinni and eggplant come to mind..
those crispy bites of heaven sound amamzing...and what a beautiful presentation with the ribbon.
As for Prague, lets hope your heater never gives you the finger, I have to think its all downhill from there...lol...thanks for beautiful pics of the area
Stay warm my friend
Dennis

Nancy December 7, 2010 at 5:45 PM  

@Roxan, I'd gladly trade your climate for my winter climate:) Yeah fried foods also make a huge mess.

@Liv, You know exactly what I'm talking about :) I hope you get it soon I did hear about the grounding of air traffic, horrible. You too stay warm:)

@Claudia, That would be a great idea and good appetizer. Try a little milk then dip them in the batter or use a little oil to coat them then batter them.

@Gina, This is for rubbing it in :P LOL just kidding and enjoy your sunshine:) Thank you for buying my book and for featuring my recipe.

@Trish, Thank you:)

@July, I hope you are enjoying your Summer and thank you:) That's great I hope you receive them soon.

@Torviewtoronto, Thank you:)

@Chef Dennis, Yes that is the other fried food we have,glad you agree. Thank you :) Yeah let's hope, hehe.

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine December 7, 2010 at 8:31 PM  

I dont think I have seen zucchini more mouth watering!

julie December 7, 2010 at 9:31 PM  

Mmmm. These looks delicious and easy! And I agree on the smell of frying; it lingers and smells not so nice. This recipe looks worth it though, yum!

Gina did a beautiful version of butter chicken as well; another great dish!

Green Girl @ A little bit of everything December 7, 2010 at 10:12 PM  

love the winter photos
although i'm not a big fan of deep frying my mouth is watering at your zucchini coins. i think for time to time some fried goodies don't hurt (that much)
hope you're having a great week

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE December 7, 2010 at 10:40 PM  

It's freezing in here in the mountains! School has been closed the last few days!

This is a great winter snack...very warming and delicious!

Anonymous,  December 7, 2010 at 10:48 PM  

these are vegetarian, but certainly not vegan...

veggietestkitchen December 8, 2010 at 1:08 AM  

These look great. They are, however, not vegan =( That would probably be easily fixable. You could just melt a vegan butter (or use a flaxseed-water mixture which simulates eggs nicely) and coat the zucchini in that before dipping them in the bread crumbs.

I could imagine eating all my vegetables this way. They'd taste so much better =)

Carolyn December 8, 2010 at 5:59 AM  

I love zucchini, I will have to experiment and see if I can make these with almond meal or some other low carb flour. And Gina's butter chicken looks awesome, I commented on her blog already!
Wish we had some snow here...hard to get into the Xmas spirit without snow in NEw England.

Rita December 8, 2010 at 8:31 AM  

Love all your photos but I want to taste one of those coins; looks fabulous.

Evan @swEEts December 8, 2010 at 9:33 AM  

Those zucchini coins look so delicious! I love fried food.. but like you I try to stay away from it as much as possible, every now and again is okay though :) Love your snowy pics too.. I live in Texas so I don't get to see snow anymore :(

Nancy December 8, 2010 at 11:26 AM  

@Penny, They will taste great and light.

@Claudia, Thank you:)

@Julie, Yes, Gina's version is so great and so are here photos.

@Green Girl, Yeah every once in a while it's a good treat:)

@Spicy Perspective, Wow must be really cold and I'm sure the kids are quite happy.

@ Anonymous & veggietestkitchen, Thank you guys for catching my typo and mistake. I shouldn't blog when I'm so tired, because I always forget to add something, lol :) I've corrected the recipe. veggietestkitchen I will add your tip to the recipe too, thanks that sounds great.

@Carolyn, Oh I think they would taste great with almond meal. Gina did a great job. Maybe you'll get lucky and have a white christmas.

@Rita, Thank you :)

@Evan, Thanks:) Too bad maybe you can take a holiday to a snowy place so you can enjoy the snow.

veggietestkitchen December 8, 2010 at 12:18 PM  

Thanks for updating. No worries, I've made the same mistakes.

Monet December 8, 2010 at 12:39 PM  

Oh it does look so very cold! We are still very warm here in Austin (in the sixties or seventies most days of the week!). I will take a little bit of your snow! These zucchini coins look delicious. I don't do fried food very often either, but they are great for a treat, now and then. Thank you for sharing. I hope you have a lovely afternoon, my friend!

Emily Z December 8, 2010 at 1:38 PM  

Such beautiful zucchini coins, I love zucchini! And beautiful pictures of your winter wonderland. Where I live in Kansas, we have not yet seen snow... but it is getting awfully cold!

bunkycooks December 8, 2010 at 4:11 PM  

I am always looking for ways to fuss up zucchini and this is a perfect way to do it. Love the photos of the snow. :)

Tanantha P. December 8, 2010 at 4:35 PM  

I love the winter wonderland Nancy! I know it's freezing but I'm luving it :) I heard there was snow storm in EU. Hope you are doing alright and your heater doesn't give a finger to you often haha. I agree that why fried food has to taste so great!? Thanks for the vegan version! Although I'm not a vegan, good to know how to make one anyway. Your photos are amazing. I know how you feel about Gina making your food. It's an excellent feeling but you deserve it!

Nikki @ The Tolerant Vegan December 8, 2010 at 4:48 PM  

I'm super excited about this for two reasons:
1. I love all the snow in your photos!!
2. I made something like this a few months ago (I believe the recipe called them eggplant wheels) and they were a soggy disaster. These look PERFECT! I'm trying them tonight and I know they're going to be 1,000,000 times better! Thank you!

fromBAtoParis December 9, 2010 at 2:26 AM  

It is freezing cold here in Paris!!! You know the other day I was thinking about you, and how cold it must be in Prague? Now you gave me the answer!! My apartment is also old, therefore badly heated...Even my dog shakes!!
I love your zucchini coins!! Great for the "apéro"!

Anonymous,  December 9, 2010 at 5:08 AM  

yum! they look delicious... I went to Venice the other weekend and had some fried zucchini chips with anchovies...it was like italian fish and chips :) these look like they taste similar, which is YUM!

Stella December 9, 2010 at 8:41 AM  

Yay, Nancy! This is #1 on the Top 9-saw it in my sidebar;)
XO

FamilySpice December 9, 2010 at 10:10 AM  

Congrats on the Top 9! I made these over the summer and served them with homemade marinara. So delicious!

Cherine December 9, 2010 at 10:26 AM  

We're freezing here too.
Those zucchini coins are a wonderful idea. I bet they're addictive. The snow is beautiful :)

Momo December 9, 2010 at 10:52 AM  

a real vegan delight,beautiful pics with winter time!

Peggy December 9, 2010 at 11:13 AM  

Oh these zucchini coins looks fantastic! I bet they were super tasty!

Magic of Spice December 9, 2010 at 12:38 PM  

Wow, sorry but that snow is just gorgeous (I know, I know...I live in Ca, my opinion does not count).
I love these zucchini coins, the coating looks so delicate and crisps and the photos are so tempting like I could pluck them from my screen :)
I saw Gina's post...she did an amazing job with that dish :)

Dimah December 11, 2010 at 1:30 PM  

Oh looks fantastic and yummy!

Conor @ Hold the Beef December 12, 2010 at 5:46 AM  

Absolutely mouth poppingly delicious :)

We have been having some gorgeous weather here Nancy, I'll pop some into a parcel for you right now.

Savoring Italy December 14, 2010 at 10:11 PM  

Sorry it took so long for me to get here and tell you CONGRATS on Top 9! What gorgeous photos and adore the recipe! Love the snow photos!It has been very cold here also in South Florida. Keep warm :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog. I love to hear from my readers so please leave your thoughts or questions below. Thank You!

(**PLEASE notice that comments with links are sent to the spam filter. This is not a place for you to advertise yourself.**)

Buy or Sell Food Photos!

View My PortfolioRoyalty Free Images

Support Me By Clicking on These Links:

living in Czech Republic Expat Women - Helping Women Living OverseasTopOfBlogsBuy Foodie artHonest Cooking The Food Magazine, Spicie Foodie , contributor

Followers

©2009-2011 All recipes, articles, blog post, content, and images (*Unless otherwise stated*) are the sole property of Spicie Foodie and Nancy Lopez-McHugh. They should not be used without prior written consent. You can contact me here

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP