Picadillo and Cinco Recipes for Cinco de Mayo

>> Tuesday, May 3, 2011



Picadillo; Mexican; food; recipe; recipes; rice; pork; ground pork; minced pork; potatoes; carrot; sour cream; dinner; easy dinner; fast dinner; low-fat; Spicie Foodie; pork stew; authentic; authentic Mexican; Cinco de Mayo; 5 de Mayo; 5th of May
Tomorrow is Cinco de Mayo or the 5th of May, a Mexican holiday. Last year I gave you a small history lesson about the holiday, and you can read the full post here. But to give you a brief summary , "Cinco de Mayo or 5th of May is a Mexican holiday celebrating the victory of the Mexican army over the French army in the battle of Puebla on the 5th of May 1862. Contrary to popular belief in America and other parts of the world, this is not the celebration of Mexican Independence from Spain..." I also told you that my family does not celebrate Cinco de Mayo. Regardless I thought I share an new Mexican recipe for those of you looking to celebrate.

Picadillo. Picadillo is a dish popular all over Latin America with slight variations and twists. It is made with ground/minced meat, tomatoes, spices and depending on the area different vegetables and seasonings are added. It's one of those dishes well known among Mexicans, other Latin Americans, and Filipinos but perhaps not as common to other people. Growing up my Mom made it often and I hated it. It wasn't that it wasn't appetizing looking, it was. It wasn't that the sauce and seasonings didn't taste good, they did. It was because I used to be really grossed out by minced meat. I don't know why but I just was. Ground/minced meat is still not my favorite meat but I'll eat it from time to time. However I do have to tell you that not having had Picadillo for so long made me really enjoy it and even go up for seconds.

I wanted to share an authentic Mexican recipe for Cinco de Mayo that is less common but muy delicioso. Plus Picadillo can be used as a main course or used as a topping or filling for any Mexican recipes. My version is different from many you will find online but it's my way and similar to my Mom's. I hope all of you my non-Mexican amigos enjoy my Picadillo as much as my American esposo and I did. Buen Provecho!!


Picadillo; Mexican; food; recipe; recipes; rice; pork; ground pork; minced pork; potatoes; carrot; sour cream; dinner; easy dinner; fast dinner; low-fat; Spicie Foodie; pork stew; authentic; authentic Mexican; Cinco de Mayo; 5 de Mayo; 5th of May
Ingredients:
500 g or 1 lb. ground meat, pork or beef
2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 large carrots, halved and sliced
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 hot chile or more adjust to taste, finely chopped
Or substitute with Cayenne powder
2 large tomatoes, finely chopped

1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. salt, adjust to taste
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tsp. paprika, for color

1 tbsp. vegetable oil
1/4 cup beef broth

White rice to serve (or use as a filling)

1. Heat the oil in a large pan, once warm saute the onion until soft. Add the ground pork/beef to the pan and cook all the way through. Drain off most of the liquid fat, reserve only a little bit to prevent burning. Add the minced garlic, fresh chile if using and cook for two minutes. Next add the potato and carrot pieces and cook for another 4 minutes. Next sprinkle all of the spices into the pan, stir to well combine. Add the chopped tomatoes, again stirring well. Pour the broth into the pan, cover and allow to simmer for 20 minutes under medium low heat.

Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. If serving the picadillo as a meal, it can be allowed to have a bit of broth. If using the picadillo as a filling, remove the lid and allow all of the liquid to evaporate.

Picadillo; Mexican; food; recipe; recipes; rice; pork; ground pork; minced pork; potatoes; carrot; sour cream; dinner; easy dinner; fast dinner; low-fat; Spicie Foodie; pork stew; authentic; authentic Mexican; Cinco de Mayo; 5 de Mayo; 5th of May


Need more Mexican recipe ideas for Cinco de Mayo? Check out my archives or these top 5 :


~ Top 5 Spicie Foodie Mexican Recipes ~





36 comments:

Sandra May 4, 2011 at 10:55 AM  

I love your post..fun reading for sure!
I have to say that I am making something very similar minus the cumin. I will have to try this..Maybe even today, I have all the ingredients! Thanks again for sharing bit of history and delicious dish!!!

Nancy May 4, 2011 at 11:07 AM  

Hi Sandra, Really you are? I'll have to check your blog for it to see it. I'm so behind on my blog ready but I'll be stopping by yours in a little bit.

Nandita SS May 4, 2011 at 11:07 AM  

Gosh Nancy!!! I really loved the photographs in this post. What have you placed under that plate? Whatever it is, it has given a wonderful texture to the photograph

Mihaela May 4, 2011 at 11:17 AM  

Happy Cinco de Mayo! Mom has the best recipes, like always :)

Unknown May 4, 2011 at 11:32 AM  

Happy Cinco de Mayo! Thanks for the recipes Nancy, beautiful photos and an interesting post;-)

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine May 4, 2011 at 11:37 AM  

This sounds wonderful mom knows best for sure!

Anna C May 4, 2011 at 11:47 AM  

Nancy, loved the history info your provided on the Cinco de Mayo. Funny to hear your reactions to minced meat, my son also had an aversion to it when he was very young. It was probably the texture but that soon changed! Your presentation looks so appetizing!

FamilySpice May 4, 2011 at 11:55 AM  

Cinco gets mixed reviews here in Southern California. Especially lately with the rise of border crime. But, I still LOVE LOVE LOVE Mexican food! So we'll be celebrating with a margarita, at the very least!

Belinda @zomppa May 4, 2011 at 12:51 PM  

Right on! I'm pretty sure I'd be happy eating this any day.

sandra May 4, 2011 at 1:39 PM  

Wow this sounds and looks good. I've heard of this before but never knew it had potatoes and carrots in it. And thanks for sharing the history.

Miriam May 4, 2011 at 2:30 PM  

I find very difficult to make such a mixed and "shapeless" dish look beautiful and appetizing... and you did! Great photos and recipe.

spcookiequeen May 4, 2011 at 3:02 PM  

I'll take a couple of tacos and taquitos please! I was just thinking about how I haven't visited in too long, I don't know how I got so behind. I say we raise a Margarita to tom.
-Gina-

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table May 4, 2011 at 3:36 PM  

If I could click my heels, I'd be at your house tomorrow evening! All of your dishes look awesome. Happy Cinco de Mayo!

Anonymous,  May 4, 2011 at 7:18 PM  

Absolutely gorgeous! Looks full of flavor and warmth. Thanks so much for sharing, great site, I am now following! =]

something_good May 5, 2011 at 2:06 AM  

Excellent recipe! Love your post and short history lesson :)

Michelle Chin May 5, 2011 at 3:33 AM  

This isn't too hard to make! I have the right herbs and spices. I bet this would go very well with pasta too no?

Tiffany May 5, 2011 at 8:58 AM  

I LOVE picadillo (I make it with veggie meat!) :D

Emily Malloy May 5, 2011 at 10:22 AM  

Beautiful dish and a great post!!!

Tanvi@Sinfully Spicy May 5, 2011 at 12:15 PM  

Happy Cinco de Mayo.I have a mexican couple who is now a good friend too just next door.Just yest they told me about the history of the day.I love reading about cultures so much.The Picadillo looks awesome..I think I have eaten it at their house but never knew what it was called :)

Cooking Rookie May 5, 2011 at 2:42 PM  

This sounds like all of by boyfriend's favorite ingredients. I'll have to make it for him, the only question is: before or after he brings me flowers :-)

amlamonte May 5, 2011 at 2:54 PM  

mm this looks delicious! happy cinco de mayo, even if you don't celebrate it :) it was always a big holiday when i lived in the southwest of the US, now i am in the northwest and i can't find much trace of it! very sad, glad to see this delicious and authentic recipe!

Unknown May 5, 2011 at 6:29 PM  

I know you don't celebrate but I hope you had a happy Cinco de Mayo! I'm just the opposite to you, I love any dish with ground meat, and this picadillo is right up my alley ;-).

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake May 5, 2011 at 6:38 PM  

Happy Cinco de Mayo, Nancy! Since I have no trouble with minced meat, I know I'd love this!!! It sounds delightful~

Conor @ Hold the Beef May 6, 2011 at 9:11 AM  

I'm not big on minced meat either Nancy, but I think this might be an exception to my aversion. It really looks delicious, like the flavours are there plain to see :)

Torviewtoronto May 6, 2011 at 12:29 PM  

this looks flavourful with all these delicious vegetables
have a good weekend

Magic of Spice May 6, 2011 at 12:46 PM  

That is funny about the minced meat :) This has such a wonderful array of spices, love it and a veggie version would still taste great I am sure...will have to try it. Happy Cinco de Mayo!
Great post!

Carolyn May 6, 2011 at 1:36 PM  

I had never heard of picadillo until just recently. But I'd also never heard of Cinco de Mayo until I moved to the US, it's not a Canadian holiday. I used to hate my mother's burgers, not because it was ground meat, but because they weren't like fast food burgers and I thought they were weird. Now I hate fast food burgers and love homemade!
Hey, thanks for referring me as someone for an interview on Foodlovers! Appreciate that you thought of me.

Hester Casey - Alchemy May 6, 2011 at 2:18 PM  

Thanks for the history lesson - Cinco de Mayo is a new event for me. Great food. I think next week will have to be Mexican week in my house. I don't know which lovely dish to try first - though the taquitos are edging ahead. Have a great weekend!

Tanantha P. May 6, 2011 at 5:25 PM  

Oh I didn't you know gross out by minced pork! ho ho. I think I celebrate pretty all occasions :D I made Mexican lasagna cupcakes last night with my friend and drink! I like the veggie you put in. I need to eat more veggie as I feel bloated!

Correen May 6, 2011 at 6:25 PM  

Mmm! Your Picadillo looks and sounds absolutely fabulous! I happen to like potatoes any which way too. I smiled when you said you hated this dish as a youngster because I always had the same feeling with my mom's Spanish Rice recipe...oh geez it just grossed me out, although today I could eat it by the bowl fulls. Finicky us ;)

kankana May 6, 2011 at 7:16 PM  

Happy Cinco de Mayo :) Gorgeous dish for the occasion..

Christine's Pantry May 6, 2011 at 11:35 PM  

Congrats on winning the award.

Cakewhiz May 7, 2011 at 2:10 AM  

Happy cinco de mayo!
Sadly, I wasn't even aware of this event since i don't think it's celebrated on a large scale back in Canada but after moving to the States, I am glad to have learnt about it.
You made a beautiful dish for this occasion :)

Frank May 7, 2011 at 10:20 AM  

Made this on Thursday--as a filler for tacos--and it was a big hit! Some guac on the side, some salsa mexicana and sour cream for those who wanted them and, of course, cold beer to wash it all down... yum!

sweetlife May 7, 2011 at 2:55 PM  

beautiful picadillo..sorry I missed the april round up, so behind lately. happy belated cinco de mayo, we love to have our picadillo with warm corn tortillas and a splash of salsa!
sweetlife

v May 8, 2011 at 7:42 AM  

Stumbled upon your blog today and I thoroughly enjoyed browsing through the recipes. Your photography tutorial was immensely beneficial. Just loved it.

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog. I love to hear from my readers so please leave your thoughts or questions below. Thank You!

(**PLEASE notice that comments with links are sent to the spam filter. This is not a place for you to advertise yourself.**)

Buy or Sell Food Photos!

View My PortfolioRoyalty Free Images

Support Me By Clicking on These Links:

living in Czech Republic Expat Women - Helping Women Living OverseasTopOfBlogsBuy Foodie artHonest Cooking The Food Magazine, Spicie Foodie , contributor

Followers

©2009-2011 All recipes, articles, blog post, content, and images (*Unless otherwise stated*) are the sole property of Spicie Foodie and Nancy Lopez-McHugh. They should not be used without prior written consent. You can contact me here

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP