My Take on Nan Khatai or Indian Almond Semolina Cookies

>> Monday, May 2, 2011



tea; black tea; tea time; tea and biscuits; tea cookies; tea and cookies
Every once in a while I need some crunchy almond biscuits or cookies to go with my afternoon tea. One of the cookies or biscuits I like to enjoy with my tea are Indian Nan Khatai. Nan Khatai are eggless, crumbly cookies made with semolina and spiced with cardamom. They are the perfect accompaniment to tea but just as delicious as a special treat. They can be topped with almonds, pistachios or even cashews. In the past few years that I have been making Nan Khatai I usually reach for almonds but the fun of this recipe is that you can prepare to your mood. Since I like a little extra almonds in my cookies I also add them to the dough but this is optional. My recipe is a bit different from a standard Indian recipe but the results will be delicious.

Nan Khatai; Indian Almond Semolina cookies; semolina cookies; almonds; cookies; cereal; cuisine; recipe; almond essence; cardamom; spiced cookies; low fat; sweets; desserts; sugar; easy cookies; fast cookies
Since it's just my husband and I, sweets or cookies are made in small batches. Feel free to double or triple the recipe to your own needs. Nan Khatai are so easy to prepare and will take very little of your time. Really there is no excuse not to make them. The sweet reward of dunking a Nan Khatai in your tea or coffee says it all. As a matter of fact as I sit here typing I can smell the sweet almond cookies waiting to be dunked in my Earl Grey tea. If you'll excuse me I have some dunking to do, but go on and make yourself a batch.

Dry Ingredients:
1/2 cup or 118 g all purpose flour
1/4 cup or 60 g fine semolina
1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
1/8 tsp. baking soda
1/4 cup or 60 g granulated white sugar
crushed almonds, optional to add to the dough

extra almonds to decorate cookies

Wet Ingredients:
1/4 cup or 60 g unsalted butter
2 tbsp. whole milk (you can also try soy or almond milk)
1/2 tsp. almond extract/essence


1. Melt the butter and set aside to cool. In a mortar and pestle or chopper breakup the almonds for the dough into coarse chunks, set aside. In a large bowl sift together the a.p. flour, semolina, cardamom, baking soda, and sugar. Next add the coarse almond pieces and stir until well combined.

2. Pour the milk and almond extract into the cool melted butter, stir until well combined. Pour the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients, stir until well combined and a firm dough is achieved. If you find the mixture is not sticking together add a couple more drops of milk- but only a little bit at a time. Form a ball with the dough, cover and allow to sit 10 minutes.

Nan Khatai; Indian Almond Semolina cookies; semolina cookies; almonds; cookies; cereal; cuisine; recipe; almond essence; cardamom; spiced cookies; low fat; sweets; desserts; sugar; easy cookies; fast cookies
3. Preheat oven to 350F/180C and prepare a cookie sheet. Divide the dough into even sized balls. Evenly space the balls on the cookie sheet, use the palm of your hand to flatten the cookies. Place on whole almond in the center of each cookie. Bake in center of oven for 10-15 minutes or until lightly golden brown.

Nan Khatai; Indian Almond Semolina cookies; semolina cookies; almonds; cookies; cereal; cuisine; recipe; almond essence; cardamom; spiced cookies; low fat; sweets; desserts; sugar; easy cookies; fast cookies


Are you a dunker? What are your favorite cookies/biscuits to dunk in your tea, coffee or milk?



27 comments:

Nithya May 2, 2011 at 10:40 AM  

Cookies look super delicious :)

Nandita SS May 2, 2011 at 10:42 AM  

To me nan Khatais have never looked so beautiful. Loved all the shots Nancy. I have not baked Nan Khatais till date. Should try baking these :)

Unknown May 2, 2011 at 11:02 AM  

I love baked good with cardamom in them. That alone will get me to give these a try. We favor pecans over almonds, so maybe I'll try them. Thank you for sharing the recipe and enjoy your tea!

Alina---Explora Cuisine May 2, 2011 at 11:02 AM  

These look yummy and not very crunchy, which I like :) Have a wonderful week!!!

Kulsum@JourneyKitchen May 2, 2011 at 11:06 AM  

Oh love Naan Khatais and tea without a biscuit as we call it - its not tea time!

Nancy May 2, 2011 at 11:12 AM  

@Nithya, Thanks!

@Paaka, Aw that's sweet of you to say, you should try them.

@The Mom Chef, Pecans would taste great too! Thanks

@Alina, You too!

@Kulsum, I couldn't agree more :)

Sandra May 2, 2011 at 11:16 AM  

Those are perfect and look very tasty! Amazing photos as always!!!!

Hester Casey - Alchemy May 2, 2011 at 11:16 AM  

Tea is always improved by cookies, particularly cookies like these. I love that they are choc-a-bloc with almonds. I feel that the world is alright with treats like these to be enjoyed.

Magic of Spice May 2, 2011 at 11:49 AM  

These sound fantastic, I love the cardamom...I must try one (I will pay for shipping) ;) And I love that you added more almond to the dough.
The only cookies I ever dunk actually are Oreo in milk, but I don't drink milk so it is just another weird thing, lol
Hugs

Nancy May 2, 2011 at 12:05 PM  

@Sandra, Thank you!

@Hester Casey, Choc-a-bloc, hehe ! Love it

@Alisha, I just remembered cookies and you don't get on well, hehe :) Mmmm Oreos and milk! I hate milk too but will gladly dunk a cookie or about five in it.

Anonymous,  May 2, 2011 at 12:47 PM  

Yummy! Those looks so cute :) And I love cardamom. I'll have to try these some time.

Unknown May 2, 2011 at 12:51 PM  

Hi Nancy, I just adore a good dunking cookie like this one. I also like the small batch cookie recipe, thanks and have a great week;-)

Raji May 2, 2011 at 1:06 PM  

The texture of the nan khatai is looking awesome...photos are beautiful.

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine May 2, 2011 at 1:27 PM  

great photo bet the semolina makes these a great tasting cookie~

Belinda @zomppa May 2, 2011 at 1:49 PM  

Er...maybe triple the recipe?

Cooking Rookie May 2, 2011 at 7:50 PM  

I have never before heard about semolina cookies... I wonder what they taste like, judging by their looks, they are fantastic :-)

Correen May 2, 2011 at 9:20 PM  

Oh yes...I am a dunker and these sweet treats look ab fab. Plus you have my fave spice on board...cardamom. Mmm!

muppy May 2, 2011 at 9:28 PM  

YUM! these look delicious, i usually don't like indian sweets but i am sure i would love your version. i'll put them on the list!

Michelle Chin May 2, 2011 at 10:13 PM  

Never had them before but judging from the looks they must be really delicious and have this nice earthy flavor to them!

A little bit of everything May 2, 2011 at 10:55 PM  

I love cardamon sweets and these cookies sound like a winner. Perfect with my tea but I'm thinking of trying walnuts instead of almonds, hmm. gotta try
thanks for sharing Nancy

sweetlife May 3, 2011 at 5:00 PM  

I love the cardamon in these cookies paired with the almond, great flavor..i personally will dunk any homemade cookie, I love them all!

sweetlife

Anna C May 4, 2011 at 11:34 AM  

Nancy, I love the simplicity of the recipe. These cookies sound so delicious...perfect for dunking!

Torviewtoronto May 4, 2011 at 8:49 PM  

delicious looking nan khatai wonderfully done Nancy

Sandra May 4, 2011 at 10:13 PM  

They're gorgeous and I love the almond on top. My daughter-in-law is Indian and she'd be thrilled if I made these for her. I'll save your recipe so that I can.

Unknown May 5, 2011 at 6:23 PM  

I've never had any Indian cookies before, just sweets like gulab jamun, etc. However, your Nan Khatais look really great with almond flavoring and an almond on top, I'm persuaded to try this. Good thing that the recipe is small batch too, I'll feel less guilty eating these all by myself! Btw, I'm a horrific dunker. I dunk so long that half my cookie would break off and sink to the bottom of the cup...LOL.

Anonymous,  May 6, 2011 at 5:39 AM  

i saw these in rachel allen's bake.and the looked deadly. dying to try this .

AKR July 4, 2011 at 3:32 PM  

Great nan khatai recipe. I have two other versions you might enjoy. Will also be posting a coconut version in the next couple of weeks:

Chocolate:
http://treataweek.blogspot.com/2007/05/cardamom-chocolate-shortbread-nan.html

Pistachio:
http://treataweek.blogspot.com/2009/06/pistachio-shortbread.html

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog. I love to hear from my readers so please leave your thoughts or questions below. Thank You!

(**PLEASE notice that comments with links are sent to the spam filter. This is not a place for you to advertise yourself.**)

Buy or Sell Food Photos!

View My PortfolioRoyalty Free Images

Support Me By Clicking on These Links:

living in Czech Republic Expat Women - Helping Women Living OverseasTopOfBlogsBuy Foodie artHonest Cooking The Food Magazine, Spicie Foodie , contributor

Followers

©2009-2011 All recipes, articles, blog post, content, and images (*Unless otherwise stated*) are the sole property of Spicie Foodie and Nancy Lopez-McHugh. They should not be used without prior written consent. You can contact me here

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP