Cinco de Mayo and Guacamole

>> Sunday, May 2, 2010

Guacamole; Avocado; Cilantro; Coriander; Tomato; Lime; Onion; Chips; Corn; Tortilla Chips; Snacks; Mexican; Food; Appetizer; Green; salsa; verde; aguacate; healthy snacks; food; vegetable; puree

Cinco de Mayo or 5th of May is a Mexican holiday celebrating the victory of the Mexican army over the French army in the battle of Puebla on the 5th of May 1862. Contrary to popular belief in America and other parts, this is not the celebration of Mexican Independence from Spain, that happened on September 16 1810. Even though the meaning of the holiday is misunderstood by many people outside of Mexico, as a Mexican I find it very flattering and intriguing that this holiday is celebrated by so many people around the world. Cinco de Mayo is a holiday that is important and mostly celebrated only in certain regions of Mexico, like Puebla where the battle took place. My family is from another region on the opposite side of Mexico, so for us this was not a holiday we celebrated. I can remember being in America during this holiday and seeing and hearing my friends and business getting both excited and ready for Cinco de Mayo celebrations. To me this was a bit funny and a little strange but very flattering that non-Mexicans were wanting to celebrate. As for my family it was just another day with no special plans or thoughts. This melting and welcoming of different traditions is one of the things that make America unique. There are so many people from so many different backgrounds and eventually peoples traditions, celebrations and foods just become part of the mainstream norm in the US. In all of the different countries I have traveled to I have yet to see this melting of the different celebrations and traditions.

Wondering what the French think about this holiday? they don't! A couple of Cinco de Mayos ago we were in Paris and I was giving our French friend a hard time about how the (underdog) Mexican army kicked the French army's butt. He looked at me plainly and said "what are you talking about?" we gave him a quick history lesson and he said, "funny, is not something we really learn our know about here",Too bad for me I wanted to rub it in :)

I think that for us Mexican expats far away from home and from the US, Cinco de Mayo has become more of a celebration or remembering our traditions and customs. We haven't made special plans or have a party planned, though that could change, I know many people are looking for some Mexican recipes for their parties. Today I'm going to share my Guacamole recipe that you can use both as an appetizer or a topping for virtually any Mexican dish.

Guacamole; Avocado; Cilantro; Coriander; Tomato; Lime; Onion; Chips; Corn; Tortilla Chips; Snacks; Mexican; Food; Appetizer; Green; salsa; verde; aguacate; healthy snacks; food; vegetable; puree

Your Ingredients:
3 ripe Haas Avocados
1 large Roma Tomato
1 small white Onion ( can substitute with yellow onion)
1 small lime
1 fresh green Serrano or Jalapeno pepper ( add more for spicier version, I am using the only fresh pepper I found a red pepper)
big handful of Fresh Cilantro
salt and pepper to taste

Large bowl and fork

1. Prepare the tomatoes, onion, chili pepper and cilantro by chopping all of them into small even bits, set aside. Peel and core the avocado then scoop out into a large bowl, next evenly pour the lime juice over the avocado and begin to mash the avocado with a fork. Continue mashing until it has broken down into a smooth consistency.
2. Mix in the tomato, onion, chili pepper and cilantro until all the ingredients have combined well. Lastly sprinkle in some salt and a little black pepper, again mix the guacamole to combine all of the ingredients. Done!

Guacamole; Avocado; Cilantro; Coriander; Tomato; Lime; Onion; Chips; Corn; Tortilla Chips; Snacks; Mexican; Food; Appetizer; Green; salsa; verde; aguacate; healthy snacks; food; vegetable; puree

Guacamole can be served as an appetizer with plain tortilla corn chips for dipping. You can also use the guacamole as a topping on quesadillas , nachos or anything else you want to put it on top of.

Guacamole; Avocado; Cilantro; Coriander; Tomato; Lime; Onion; Chips; Corn; Tortilla Chips; Snacks; Mexican; Food; Appetizer; Green; salsa; verde; aguacate; healthy snacks; food; vegetable; puree

If you are looking for other Mexican dinner ideas please visit my archives for more recipes. I also have a small collection of salsas you may want to also try for your Cinco de Mayo recipes.


Guacamole; Avocado; Cilantro; Coriander; Tomato; Lime; Onion; Chips; Corn; Tortilla Chips; Snacks; Mexican; Food; Appetizer; Green; salsa; verde; aguacate; healthy snacks; food; vegetable; puree, pico de gallo, mexican salsa, salsa vandera, mexican flag salsa, recipes, how to, spicie foodie, spicy food, ethnic recipes

This is a Molcajeta, a traditional Mexican mortar and pestle used to make Guacamole and salsas. If you want to impress your friends and family serve either in your Molcajete.

Where ever you are in the world, are their Cinco de Mayo celebrations happening near you?


21 comments:

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine May 2, 2010 at 9:16 AM  

I love avocado, I like it mashed with the lime in it, never onion, the tomatoes sound interesting may have to try that also...thanks

Chef Dennis Littley May 2, 2010 at 9:49 AM  

wow.....now thats an incredible guacamole!!! I love the addition of the salsa, it must be sooooo tasty!

Nancy May 2, 2010 at 10:26 AM  

@ pegasuslegend, the ingredients are traditional for guacamole :)

@ChefDennis, thanks but no there was no salsa added to it. The salsa photo is for another recipe you can find in my archive.

Rick May 2, 2010 at 12:06 PM  

It would not be Cinco De Mayo without some guacamole.

TasteHongKong May 3, 2010 at 12:27 AM  

Happy Holidays! Thanks for sharing more of your Mexican culture and foods : ).

TasteHongKong May 3, 2010 at 12:29 AM  

Happy Holidays! Thanks for sharing more of your Mexican culture and foods : ).

Emily May 3, 2010 at 2:38 AM  

Hi Nancy,

Your guacomole looks so lush, can't wait to dig a large mouthful with a corn chip :D

I can't keep my eyes off the majestic Molcajeta, never seen anything like this before and it certainly looks expensive.

Madhuri Krishna Bhat May 3, 2010 at 10:40 AM  

Wow Guacomola looks delicious. Wanna try it out.

Anonymous,  May 3, 2010 at 9:58 PM  

Fantastic looking guacamole!

Lauren May 4, 2010 at 3:44 AM  

I just love guacamole, and these pictures (as always) are wonderful. Congrats on being top 9 again :)

Think I may by me some avocados for tonights dinner!

La gourmande May 4, 2010 at 5:49 AM  

I am one of those awful Franchutes, but I love your recipe. LOL.
Yes, I guess 95% of my compatriots have no idea we ever invaded in Mexico. It is mentioned briefly in 2 lines in J-hischool text books. Even for those of us that heard of it, we imagine the "Mexican expedition" as a sort of fokloric musical comedy, with Maximilien as a clown... A French army in Mexico sounds surreal.
Until today, I had no idea that you were celebrating el 5-5.
El Tres de Mayo is more famous in France, thanks to Goya. And it's not exactly the day of the Spanish-French amistad.
Enjoy the celebration !

Linn @ Swedish Home Cooking May 4, 2010 at 6:16 AM  

That's a good guacamole! I love avocado and I eat it as long as it's in season. Mm!

tam - a little bit burnt May 4, 2010 at 7:40 AM  

Looks delicious!

Congrats on your Foodbuzz Top 9!

bunkycooks,  May 4, 2010 at 8:14 AM  

Love guacamole and yours looks delicious! I will be making some tonight for an early Cinco de Mayo party.

Unknown May 4, 2010 at 10:16 AM  

If you put a good olive oil in the guacamole - it is wonderful! I just drizzle it and mix it around (around 5 T. or so).

sensiblecooking May 4, 2010 at 5:19 PM  

Oh that Guacamole, wish I could just scoop it with me chips right now. I am always looking for salsa and guacamole recipe. Will have to try this one.

Sook May 5, 2010 at 5:31 PM  

The guac looks perfectly flavorful and spicy. yum!

JodieMo May 6, 2010 at 11:23 AM  

I could live off of guacamole for the rest of my life! This looks heavenly!
By the way, I love the Molcajeta. I was at a Mexican restaurant recently and saw a guy eating a seafood dish out of one of these bowls. The waiter called it "molcajete". Any ideas what kind of seafood dish they put in the bowl? Thanks! Great blog!

Liv Wan May 6, 2010 at 4:45 PM  

Thank you for sharing the story behind the Cinco de Mayo. Mexican culture is not very familiar to me but after reading your blog I feel I learnt something. Thank you for sharing and Happy Holiday!!!

A Bowl Of Mush May 6, 2010 at 7:27 PM  

Gorgeous guacamole recipe!!

Hope you had a nice cinco de mayo! :)

Nancy May 11, 2010 at 8:51 AM  

Thank you all for your comments and I hope you all had a nice Cinco de Mayo celebration!!

@ JodieMo Well he told you it was called "molcajete" that is just the bowl or the mortar name in Spanish. My best guess would be that is was a seafood stew or caldo de mariscos or even perhaps a Molcajete Azteca. Hope this helps:)

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog. I love to hear from my readers so please leave your thoughts or questions below. Thank You!

(**PLEASE notice that comments with links are sent to the spam filter. This is not a place for you to advertise yourself.**)

Buy or Sell Food Photos!

View My PortfolioRoyalty Free Images

Support Me By Clicking on These Links:

living in Czech Republic Expat Women - Helping Women Living OverseasTopOfBlogsBuy Foodie artHonest Cooking The Food Magazine, Spicie Foodie , contributor

Followers

©2009-2011 All recipes, articles, blog post, content, and images (*Unless otherwise stated*) are the sole property of Spicie Foodie and Nancy Lopez-McHugh. They should not be used without prior written consent. You can contact me here

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP