Liberation Day Festival, V-E day

>> Sunday, May 9, 2010

The 8Th of May is Liberation day and it is an official holiday that is celebrated by many countries across Europe. To Americans this day is also know as V-E day or Victory Europe day. This day or holiday commemorates May 8Th 1945 ,the day during World War 2 when the allies celebrated the defeat and surrender of the Nazis and the end of the Third Reich. Many people took to the streets to celebrate the end of this horrible war,and to this day it is a day that is still very much remembered by those few still alive and their descendants. This year marked the 65Th anniversary and across Prague, and many other cities across Europe, there were festivals and parades to remember the day. This year I grab my little point and shoot camera and headed to the festival. Here are my shots I hope you enjoy them and I apologize I didn't take more "foodie" shots, everyone was hungry and the lines were long and blocking the food stalls so not many photo opportunities :)

The Czech Flag


There was live traditional folkloric music and dances



Soldiers waiting for their lunch




Grilled Klobasa (sausage)



XXL Palacinky (crepes)



Wild boar



The poor dog was drooling over the Wild Boar


WW2 Field Kitchen ( Klobasa was on the menu)


Waiting for the parade to start


Russian troops marching in!


American MP (military police)




WW2 abacus and extra uniforms



Russian soldiers trying to keep warm


Rations and extra supplies from a Russian soldier's pack.


Pernik (gingerbread) sweets and an assortment of candies.


Z Lasky ( With love)



History is not my best subject to write to you about, even though it does interest me it has never been one of my strongest subjects. Having said that I feel very lucky to live in a place where there is so much history to see and learn. Merely walking out my door I am reminded of all that has happened in this land by the plaques dedicated to their fellow compatriots. It serves as a reminder of all that were shoot down during their struggles and fights against the occupying army. Going to the city center is a historian's paradise. If you are a history buff I highly recommend you make a trip to Prague, this Golden city will amaze you and fill your brain with so much knowledge. Even if you are not a history buff you'll love just looking at the beautiful architecture, enjoy a good hearty Czech meal, or a cold drink while you sit in the middle of Old Town square, or sitting in the historic theater where Mozart debuted Don Giovanni. This magical city of a thousand spires will have you wanting to come for another visit. I am very lucky indeed....

7 comments:

Anonymous,  May 9, 2010 at 12:18 PM  

Thanks for reminding me about this holiday - we used to celebrate growing up in former Soviet Union.

Nancy May 11, 2010 at 9:06 AM  

My pleasure! Hope it brought back so nice childhood memories for you :)

Liv Wan May 12, 2010 at 2:56 PM  

Hello Nancy,

I decided to share this award with you because your blog enrich my daily life and offer me so much fun all the time.
Please check this blog here: http://livwanchinesecookingclass.com/2010/05/12/my-may-sunshine-award/

Conor @ HoldtheBeef May 13, 2010 at 7:04 AM  

Brilliant post, such great photos of something I have never experienced. That wild boar is pretty impressive, I hope the dog ended up with a little scrap or two!

Nancy May 14, 2010 at 9:31 AM  

Hi Liv,
Wow! Thank you so much , it really means a lot to me:)

Hi Conor,
Unfortunately the poor Puppie didn't , I saw the owner just walk him to down the street:(

Brie: Le Grand Fromage May 15, 2010 at 9:36 PM  

wow, i didn't know there was a celebration day. i'm a huge history buff, so this would be so much fun for me! great photos, as they tell the story of the events that day.

Nancy May 17, 2010 at 4:26 PM  

Hi Brie,
Yep every year, the 60th was a huge celebration with special guest from the allie countries. You would have loved it :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog. I love to hear from my readers so please leave your thoughts or questions below. Thank You!

(**PLEASE notice that comments with links are sent to the spam filter. This is not a place for you to advertise yourself.**)

Buy or Sell Food Photos!

View My PortfolioRoyalty Free Images

Support Me By Clicking on These Links:

living in Czech Republic Expat Women - Helping Women Living OverseasTopOfBlogsBuy Foodie artHonest Cooking The Food Magazine, Spicie Foodie , contributor

Followers

©2009-2011 All recipes, articles, blog post, content, and images (*Unless otherwise stated*) are the sole property of Spicie Foodie and Nancy Lopez-McHugh. They should not be used without prior written consent. You can contact me here

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP