Warm Shredded Carrot Salad with Carrot Greens (Vegan)

>> Sunday, October 24, 2010

carrot; green; greens; edible; tops; salad; snack; spicy; shredded; onion; garlic; warm; side dish; healthy; vegan; vegetable; organic
I have a delicious new recipe to share with you today. But first I want to tell you that the YBR event has it's own permanent page with all of the information, linking codes and badges for our lovely monthly event. Check it out, it's up there on the menu bar as YBR. OK so on to the recipe. Did you know that Carrot greens or carrot tops are edible? Yuppers, they are! The other day I picked up a bunch of fresh organic carrots that were on sale with the greens still on them and I got curious, are they edible? I quickly found out that they are and in fact are quite nutritious, rich in vitamins, minerals and proteins. The carrot tops can be used raw or cooked, tossed in salads, used in soups and many other creative ways. I found this great site full of info all about carrot greens and even some recipes, it's called Carrot Museum. On this site they also wrote the following, "The leaves do contain furocoumarins that may cause allergic contact dermatitis from the leaves, especially when wet. Later exposure to the sun may cause mild photodermatitis. (This is NOT the same as 'poisonous' - it will only affect susceptible people with allergies to the plant. Some people have the same reaction to yarrow, ragwort, chamomile etc.)" I handled and cooked the greens, we both ate them and we are both still alive, so no allergies for either of us. The taste is quite strong so I would suggest that you use them sparingly at first or taste to see if it's something you like the taste of. The taste was a little bit bitter and very leafy tasting. I wouldn't say I loved the taste but I also didn't hate it. Anyways, I did really like the warm shredded carrot salad I added the greens to. It was a little sweet and a little garlicky. This is a fast and easy recipe for a great side dish or you could also eat this as a main meal. It is also vegan, healthy and low in calories without skimping on great taste. I served the salad along with steamed white rice and some sauted eggplant for a small vegan meal.
carrot; green; greens; edible; tops; salad; snack; spicy; shredded; onion; garlic; warm; side dish; healthy; vegan; vegetable; organic

Serves 2
Ingredients:
3 medium carrots, peeled and shredded
carrot leaf greens to taste ( I used a small handful)
1 small red onion, finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 inch or 2.5 cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
3.5 ounces or 100 grams shredded cabbage
1/2 tsp. salt, adjust to taste
pinch of black pepper
1/4 tsp. ground Turmeric
1 Tbs. sunflower oil

1. Heat the oil in a large pan then add the finely chopped red onion and saute until soft. Add the garlic,ginger and saute for 3 minute. Next add the shredded cabbage stir to combine with the pan ingredients, cover and allow the cabbage to soften completely. Once the cabbage is soft add the carrot and carrot leafs stirring to well combine all of the ingredients. Lastly sprinkle in the spices and stir the vegetables well. Continue to cook until the carrots have softened, about another 5 minutes. Serve as a side dish or as a main meal with some steamed white rice, it's delicious as a vegan meal or snack.

carrot; green; greens; edible; tops; salad; snack; spicy; shredded; onion; garlic; warm; side dish; healthy; vegan; vegetable; organic
Haha, I just noticed that October has been a very orange/yellow food color month here on Spicie Foodie.

29 comments:

Dimah October 24, 2010 at 6:44 PM  

This looks absolutely lovely! What a delicious combination of flavors!

Belinda @zomppa October 24, 2010 at 6:51 PM  

The Carrot Museum? =) What a great (and healthy) recipe. Thanks for sharing.

penny aka jeroxie October 24, 2010 at 8:41 PM  

We have the best carrots now... lovely dish.

Tiffany October 24, 2010 at 11:47 PM  

I love this recipe! We've been so into carrots this season, definitely growing our own next year!

Julia October 25, 2010 at 1:32 AM  

As we're coming into the more autumnal weather now, we're always on the lookout for some warmer salads. This looks quick, easy and more importantly, tasty. Never tried carrot greens before so it'll be an experiment too.

Claudia October 25, 2010 at 12:10 PM  

Perfect. My carrots will thank you.

Ms. Adventuress October 25, 2010 at 2:40 PM  

What a delight...finding you via PW/TK and I land on your site, see a vegan recipe and hear talk of eating raw carrot tops. So sweet! :o)

Emily Malloy October 25, 2010 at 3:31 PM  

This is so creative! I don't know what to do with myself!

... Perhaps make this ;-)

Unknown October 25, 2010 at 6:12 PM  

I love raw veggie salads like this one, all your added flavors sound just perfect with the raw carrots. I think your seasonally colored food is fun and just makes me more hungry:) At least it's healthy!

January October 25, 2010 at 11:00 PM  

that's such a great way to serve carrots, Nancy :) can't wait to try it myself

Adelina October 26, 2010 at 12:24 AM  

well, I certainly did not know that the tops are edible! Love your recipe- and the shots are stunning!

Anonymous,  October 26, 2010 at 1:43 AM  

I love eating tons of vegetables and I like them warm in fall. is so hard to find delicious recipes. This is one of my favorites for this season. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous,  October 26, 2010 at 3:51 AM  

Those carrots look so like they are packed full of flavour... yum

Mother Rimmy October 26, 2010 at 9:54 AM  

I get piles of carrots in my weekly csa box. I'll use some of them in this recipe. It sounds delicious!

MJ October 26, 2010 at 11:23 AM  

Love love love this salad! =)

Magic of Spice October 26, 2010 at 12:31 PM  

What a beautiful salad and great flavors...Congratulations on Top 9 :)

Torviewtoronto October 26, 2010 at 1:39 PM  

looks delicious we make a salad like this with an addition of coconut
congrats

Medifast Coupons October 26, 2010 at 1:57 PM  

Thanks for your carrot recipe. And thanks for the info on the carrot tops, learn something new everyday.

Stella October 26, 2010 at 6:43 PM  

Hey Nancy! This salad sounds delicious. I might actually make it in a minute. I need to make something for dinner as Cauldron Boy will be home soon, and I have a lot of carrots;)!
p.s. sorry for taking so long to comment here. I've been away from the computer all week trying to get my garden started...

Anonymous,  October 26, 2010 at 6:47 PM  

YAY!!!!!!!!! Congratulations on being a Top 9 today! This salad looks so delicious and the photo is AWESOME

Matt Kay October 26, 2010 at 7:45 PM  

Awesome recipe! Carrot and ginger belong together. A well deserved top 9! Congrats.

Oh, and thanks for the link (Carrot Museum). The last time I made carrots I started wondering about the greens. Once I was sure they weren't poisonous I tasted a bit. They're a bit bitter but they have an unmistakable carrot flavor.

Cheers!
Matt Kay

Juliana October 26, 2010 at 8:41 PM  

Great carrot dish...love the idea of using the green as well :-)

Conor @ Hold the Beef October 27, 2010 at 8:20 AM  

This is such a good recipe! I love a good carrot salad, it's such a healthy addition to a meal and a good bulker without adding many calories, but I've not thought to make a warm version before. Awesome, thank you! Also, yay orange :)

Biren @ Roti n Rice October 27, 2010 at 11:26 AM  

This makes a delicious side dish! I learnt something new about the carrot greens. Never thought of eating them. Thanks for the info.

She's Cookin' October 27, 2010 at 11:46 AM  

Never thought about using the greens! This is a yummy new twist on carrot salad. Thx

Rosa's Yummy Yums October 28, 2010 at 9:47 AM  

A scrumptious salad! I love those flavors.

Cheers,

Rosa

Rich October 29, 2010 at 9:57 AM  

That really does look like a perfect carrot salad - fairly simple but more substantial than you might expect from a carrot salad. What impresses me even more, though, is that you found a use for the carrot tops! I have never even thought to use them ... good thinking!

Liz October 29, 2010 at 11:58 PM  

I had no idea there was a Carrot Museum! How cool! This recipe looks cheerful, I love the yellow/orange colors, especially as we approach chillier days.

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog. I love to hear from my readers so please leave your thoughts or questions below. Thank You!

(**PLEASE notice that comments with links are sent to the spam filter. This is not a place for you to advertise yourself.**)

Buy or Sell Food Photos!

View My PortfolioRoyalty Free Images

Support Me By Clicking on These Links:

living in Czech Republic Expat Women - Helping Women Living OverseasTopOfBlogsBuy Foodie artHonest Cooking The Food Magazine, Spicie Foodie , contributor

Followers

©2009-2011 All recipes, articles, blog post, content, and images (*Unless otherwise stated*) are the sole property of Spicie Foodie and Nancy Lopez-McHugh. They should not be used without prior written consent. You can contact me here

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP