England vs. USA with food to celebrate

>> Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Saturday England played against the USA in the World Cup. To celebrate our friend FDG (Frequent Dinner Guest) , who is English, came over for dinner and I cooked a dinner to represent both nations. Since I was going to have to cook to separate dishes I tried to keep it as simple as possible both because of time and so I wouldn't have to run around hunting ingredients. So the dishes I choose to cook were Hamburgers for the Americans (of course) and individual servings Shepherd's Pie for England. Shepherd's pie is traditionally made with ground lamb and if it is cooked with ground (minced) beef it is called Cottage pie. Well that's at least what I thought and read on several sites. But our friend FDG is English and he said that his Mum called it Shepherd's pie, so that's what I'll call it. I'll have a recipe for the Shepherd's pie soon in another post, in the meantime just enjoy the photos. Wait till you see what FDG brought for dessert ( representing a neutral country ) .....







And now for the dessert that stole the spotlight, Fresh homemade Tiramisu made by FDG and let me tell you this Tiramisu was one of the best Tiramisu I've ever had!


It was creamy, lightly sweetened with a hint of the alcohol but it did not over power the other flavors whatsoever.


The cake he used was spongy and soaked up the alcohol very nicely without becoming to soggy ( which I hate). He based the Tiramisu on Gordon Ramsey's recipe but made some delicious adjustments to the recipe. Who knew he was such a great cook, He can bring dessert any time :)
England and the USA may have tied the game but our "neutral" dessert won the diner spotlight!

I also have these beautiful paintings that I found on Vanity Fair 's site. They have a long article about the 2010 World Cup teams and along with the article are murals for the competing teams. The murals were created for ESPN by the AM I COLLECTIVE a group of artists based in South Africa. Truly magnificent works of art that you must take a look at , even if you are not a Football (Soccer) fan. Of course Mexico's is on the top of my list.

Mexico: El Tri (The Three-Colored)

USA: The Yanks (for my American husband)


England: The Three Lions (for our friend FDG , including "Shrek" lol)
To see all 32 beautiful murals visit Vanity Fair here.

6 comments:

Belinda @zomppa June 14, 2010 at 3:29 PM  

Great way to watch...though that goal...eeks.

Judy June 14, 2010 at 6:59 PM  

What a feast! :) I've never had Sheperd's Pie but I'll look forward to your recipe post. The tiramisu indeed looks scrumptious!!! I'm not much of a soccer fan but I appreciate the good eats to commemorate the World Cup. Cheers!

Anonymous,  June 14, 2010 at 7:09 PM  

that tiramisu look so yummy

Magic of Spice June 15, 2010 at 6:50 PM  

Wow...everything looks wonderful, and love the photos as usual:)

Chef Dennis Littley June 16, 2010 at 7:18 PM  

the sandwich and Shepards pie looked wonderful....but then you had to torture me with my favorite dessert!!! I do love tiramisu, and I especially love your presentation!

Nancy June 24, 2010 at 5:12 PM  

Hi all, glad you liked the photos and foods :) Recipes are still coming, just a little behind on my blogging!

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog. I love to hear from my readers so please leave your thoughts or questions below. Thank You!

(**PLEASE notice that comments with links are sent to the spam filter. This is not a place for you to advertise yourself.**)

Buy or Sell Food Photos!

View My PortfolioRoyalty Free Images

Support Me By Clicking on These Links:

living in Czech Republic Expat Women - Helping Women Living OverseasTopOfBlogsBuy Foodie artHonest Cooking The Food Magazine, Spicie Foodie , contributor

Followers

©2009-2011 All recipes, articles, blog post, content, and images (*Unless otherwise stated*) are the sole property of Spicie Foodie and Nancy Lopez-McHugh. They should not be used without prior written consent. You can contact me here

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP