Banana Pear Smoothie With a Twist (or two)

>> Thursday, May 27, 2010

One of the things I really look forward to in late Spring and all throughout the Summer is the abundance of fresh and exotic fruits and vegetables available. I have already started taking advantage of all the fresh fruit that is overflowing at my local fruit and vegetable shops. This time of year is also great for me because I crave more fruits and vegetables in my cooking and for snacking, so it helps in making good healthy choices. Smoothies are a good snack or even lunch obviously because of the vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that fresh fruits and vegetables contain and because a good smoothie will leave you feeling full for hours. But let's not go crazy here, because drinking your fruits and veggies can be more caloric than just munching on fruits and veggies. The reason is that many people go crazy on adding additional sweeteners, adding too much milk or yogurt , and the addition of toppings like whipped cream. I try to stay away from adding these ingredients as much as possible unless I need more vitamins or calcium for my daily intake. The point to this is to keep a healthy snack-drink-dessert just that healthy and low fat. So today I have another fruit smoothie recipe it's a Banana Pear Smoothie With a Twist (or two).

Where do the twists come in? from the Almond milk (home made) and from the Matcha. Matcha you say?, that's right I told you guys I am really enjoying experimenting with this favorite ingredient of mine. Using almond milk gave the smoothie an additional flavor that ordinary milk would not have. Also almond milk has 90 calories in 1 cup as opposed to full fat milk having 146 calories in 1 cup. The flavors of the pear,banana, almond milk and Matcha came together quite well. It was a delicious thick and velvety creamy drink that left me full for a few hours , which was perfect to quit the hunger pangs hours before dinner time. So here's the recipe and hope you enjoy it too!


Your Ingredients:
1 large green Concorde Pear
1 small banana
pinch of Match green tea
1/2 cup or 118 ml Almond milk
Honey, to taste (optional)

Blender

1. Peel and core pear, then cut into small chunks. Peel and slice the banana. Add both the pear and banana to a blender. Next add the pinch of Matcha and as much honey as you like. Then pour in the almond milk, put the lid on the blender and blend.
2. Blend until the fruit has blended into a smooth thick mixture. If you would like a thinner smoothie feel free to add as much almond milk as you like.

For a cooler version:
Add some ice cubes to the ingredients and then continue to blend.





I am excited to tell you that I will be participating in Natasha's (Five Star Foodie) May smoothie & shakes 5 Star Makeover, check it out!


21 comments:

Pavithra Elangovan May 28, 2010 at 9:29 AM  

Wow wonderful combo with awesome clicks... looks yumm yumm..

Madhuri Krishna Bhat May 28, 2010 at 9:57 AM  

Refreshing smoothie..love the color and your photography :)

Anonymous,  May 28, 2010 at 10:47 AM  

Wow, this is terrific! Homemade almond milk and matcha sound so wonderful and I also love the pear addition here. Thank you!

Brie: Le Grand Fromage May 28, 2010 at 11:39 AM  

wow, that's a fantstic smoothie! extra points for using almond milk. nut milks are so healthy and are often overlooked, plus they can be homemade easily as well. i'm in a smoothie mood, so i'll be sure to give this one a go. thanks!

Roxan May 28, 2010 at 11:50 AM  

Yummy, that sounds really delicious. I love matcha :) And almond milk.

Anonymous,  May 28, 2010 at 12:21 PM  

There is a food chain in South Africa called Kauai that make the most delish smoothie, the 'Gem'. It has almonds, bananas, coconut and honey in it - quite similar to yours. I've tried recreating it but have failed (so far) - but never thought to use almond milk - what a great idea! Might be time to try again... :-)

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine May 28, 2010 at 6:55 PM  

love almond milk this is a wonderful blend!

Magic of Spice May 28, 2010 at 11:13 PM  

Great combination...Love the add of the green tea:)

Rick May 29, 2010 at 8:53 AM  

Going to follow your advice on the almond milk. Save any calorie I can this summer.

Liv Wan May 29, 2010 at 6:43 PM  

Hi Nancy,
Thank you for the award and I will post it on my blog asap. This drink sounds amazing. I will certainly try it in the future. I love to have smoothie for my breakfast or light lunch. It's seems like a better option for weight control also for healthy matter.

baresytapas May 30, 2010 at 12:40 PM  

I came to this blog by accident, but I found very interesting. Greetings to all who visit here.

Lea May 30, 2010 at 5:00 PM  

How unique! Never would have thought of this combo, nice - like the almond milk too!

Conor @ Hold the Beef May 31, 2010 at 3:37 AM  

Ooh, more matcha! I like your twists :)

Sook June 1, 2010 at 2:18 PM  

Wow, that would be a great drink to have right after a gym session. :)

Judy June 1, 2010 at 5:00 PM  

What a cool and refreshing drink... I'd love one just about now! Love the little "twists" - sounds delicious!

Unknown June 2, 2010 at 11:25 PM  

I like your smoothie recipe, love your interesting twists!

Bob,  June 3, 2010 at 4:48 PM  

I made this today and it was delicious! Very nourishing, with an extra zing! Thank you for the superb recipe, and I love the twists!

Trudy ~ veggie num num June 3, 2010 at 9:47 PM  

I can't tell you how perfectly delicious this looks and sounds... mmmmm!! love the colours too :)

Nancy June 6, 2010 at 6:11 PM  

Thank you all for your comments :) Glad my somewhat strange combo sounds good to you guys.

@Rudy-That sounds really good, I'll have to try that too.

@Liv Wan- Yes you are correct, it will be a good way to kick off a healthy summer.

@Bob- Great to hear it!! Hope you make it often:)

foodcreate June 7, 2010 at 2:06 PM  

Delicious can't wait to try...

Kuzey Güney July 6, 2011 at 7:55 PM  

I came to this place by chance, but I found very interesting. Greetings to all the people who visit this page... Kuzey Güney

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog. I love to hear from my readers so please leave your thoughts or questions below. Thank You!

(**PLEASE notice that comments with links are sent to the spam filter. This is not a place for you to advertise yourself.**)

Buy or Sell Food Photos!

View My PortfolioRoyalty Free Images

Support Me By Clicking on These Links:

living in Czech Republic Expat Women - Helping Women Living OverseasTopOfBlogsBuy Foodie artHonest Cooking The Food Magazine, Spicie Foodie , contributor

Followers

©2009-2011 All recipes, articles, blog post, content, and images (*Unless otherwise stated*) are the sole property of Spicie Foodie and Nancy Lopez-McHugh. They should not be used without prior written consent. You can contact me here

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP