Orange Spritzer ~ a healthy low calorie non-alcoholic drink

>> Monday, October 19, 2009

orange spritzer
Spritzer (Spritzen) is a German word that means a spray or a splash. The word is better know as a reference to a drink, usually consisting of wine and carbonated (sparkling) water. The carbonated water is mixed with the wine to make a light, fizzy and refreshing drink that is very popular on hot summer days. I have heard of and have seen people mixing cola with their red wines. There are also other non-alcoholic versions, usually consisting of fruit and or vegetable juices.

I love wine, specially red wine, but I just can't bring myself to "ruin" a good wine by adding carbonated water. (I think my years in France have a lot to do with this feeling.) I don't drink soda because it's way to sugary and caloric for my taste. Instead I prefer to drink water,tea, and 100% fruit juices. But being that I'm not a fan of sugary drinks, I always mix my juices with sparkling water. The recipe I'm sharing with you today is for my favorite way of drinking orange juice, an orange spritzer!

non-alcoholic spritzerYour Ingredients:
100 % Orange juice
sparkling(carbonated)water
1 orange , for decoration -optional
ice cubes , optional

1. Take the orange and either slice it thinly or cut it into wedges. In a water pitcher mix equal parts orange juice and sparkling water, if you are using ice cubes you may want to add those first.
2. Serve with a slice or wedge of orange. Enjoy!


You want to serve this immediately, because the drink needs to be fizzy.This spritzer can be made with any of your favorite juice or combination of juices.

If you have kids this is a great drink to give them as an alternative to soda. They'll like the fizziness like a soda and it's sweet enough but not too sweet, mothers will love the fact that the drink is still very nutritious. Orange juice is very high in Vitamin C, which our bodies need to help heal wounds faster, for strong bones and teeth and to help fight off infections. Vitamin C is also great for our immune system, helping to make it strong. Cold and Flu season is here and we have all heard our Doctors and Mothers telling us to take our vitamin c for a cold. When you are selecting orange juice or any other juice it's very important to read the labels. You need to make sure that it's 100% orange juice without any added sugar. There are many juice brands out there that though say they are 100% juice, have a lot of sugar or fructose or sucrose added to them, avoid these.

sparkling orange juice

10 comments:

the traditional gourmand October 19, 2009 at 1:07 PM  

This looks so refreshing! I love this idea!

lululu October 19, 2009 at 3:32 PM  

i looooooooooooooooooooove spritzer! with little citron flavor like orange! oh my!!!

penny aka jeroxie October 19, 2009 at 4:23 PM  

So goog when you make it yourself. AT least you know it is 100% orange!

Divina Pe October 19, 2009 at 9:08 PM  

Now, that's refreshing without the the unnecessary ingredients.

TasteHongKong October 20, 2009 at 1:29 AM  

Love your idea cause i am not a fans of sugary drinks as well. Should get to try this soonest as the weather is still warm here.

Jessie October 20, 2009 at 1:55 PM  

yum!! this is a great way of getting a daily dose of vitamin c I love it

Nancy October 20, 2009 at 7:51 PM  

Hello lulu,penny,Divina Pe, TasteHongKong and Jessie ,

I'm so glad to hear the you all enjoy this drink:) Maybe some of you will try it with your favorite juice flavors and let us know how you liked it.

Alisa@Foodista October 23, 2009 at 5:48 AM  

That drink looks awesome,a refreshing change from other carbonated drinks.I love your site!I got here from the foodieblogroll and I'd love to bring over our readers to your site if you wont mind, just add this little foodista widget to this post and it's all set to go, Thanks!

Rachelle October 26, 2009 at 12:16 AM  

Since I don't drink alcohol but I love drinking orange juice with club soda, my friends always called this a "McFly on the rocks." That was my highschool nickname. I also love to have this drink whenever I fly. It calms the stomach. Now I am craving one.

Nancy October 26, 2009 at 11:41 AM  

Hi Alisa~ Thank you! I do know your site and I have previously added a widget to another post. I will be sure to visit your site again and would be happy to have your visitors come on over:)

Hi Rachelle~ I love the name your friends gave it, it's cute:) You are right it does calm the stomach. I hate flying and to calm my stomach I take ginger tea. I will be posting that soon too.

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog. I love to hear from my readers so please leave your thoughts or questions below. Thank You!

(**PLEASE notice that comments with links are sent to the spam filter. This is not a place for you to advertise yourself.**)

Buy or Sell Food Photos!

View My PortfolioRoyalty Free Images

Support Me By Clicking on These Links:

living in Czech Republic Expat Women - Helping Women Living OverseasTopOfBlogsBuy Foodie artHonest Cooking The Food Magazine, Spicie Foodie , contributor

Followers

©2009-2011 All recipes, articles, blog post, content, and images (*Unless otherwise stated*) are the sole property of Spicie Foodie and Nancy Lopez-McHugh. They should not be used without prior written consent. You can contact me here

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP