The last fruits of Summer

>> Thursday, September 17, 2009

It's a grey, wet, chilly 17c/62f day. The trees are gently swaying back and forth , the neighbors wind chimes singing and the birds are quite. On the side walks I can see the water droplets falling on the puddles of rain that has been collecting throughout the day. There are also leaves that have fallen off the trees, some green, some golden and some red. I can also see the pointy horse chestnuts that have fallen and spread out on the sidewalks, grass and on the roads. Some still in the protection of their little shells, and others all on their own. Not many people are out today, and the few there are have coats or long sleeves on. Suddenly I come to the realization, Summer has come to an end. Though officially the Autumn equinox , here in the northern hemisphere, doesn't start until the 22nd of this month, 5 more days, a new season is here.



I love autumn, the way the landscape becomes so vibrant with all the beautiful colors of the changing leaves. I love the way my scarves feel wrapped around my neck, so soft and keeping me warm. I love the selection of fresh nuts, and all the fruits and root vegetables that fill the markets.




For me autumn also means warm and comforting foods and a lot of warm drinks. When the weather outside starts getting cooler I start making soup. All kinds of soups, spicy and mild, some with only vegetables, others with meats, others with grains and beans, stews, cremes, puree and veloute, soup galore! Another thing I really enjoy during this time is practicing and learning to bake. The oven warms up the house and fills us with the aromas of the breads and sweets. There's nothing like the warmth on your hands from fresh baked goodies. Tea is an absolute must too, everything from loose leaf, tea bags, the spicy concoctions of Chai Masala(Yogi Tea), and the tangy taste of ginger tea. Don't forget the hot chocolate too, my choice is a hot, frothy and sweet Mexican hot chocolate.

As we welcome a new season what are your favorite things about autumn? What do you look forward to the most? What are your favorite things to cook or bake?

7 comments:

Andrea@WellnessNotes September 17, 2009 at 8:46 PM  

I had been a bit sad that summer is coming to an end. The toddler just had a blast during the summer... But the more I think about it, the more I look forward to all that fall has to offer: cozy evenings at home, nice hot beverages, soups, stews, pumpkin and other squash... Not so bad after all... Thanks for the reminder! :)

TasteHongKong September 18, 2009 at 1:05 AM  

We are expecting the Mid-Autumn Festival on Oct 3 this year, when the moon is supposed to be the brightest and fullest according to the Chinese calendar.
Guess you might also feel this festive event in the Chinese community near you, enjoy!

Miriam September 18, 2009 at 3:41 AM  

I couldn't agree more about Autumn, it's my favorite season too... I'm already looking forward to it, we've already caught a glimpse here in Spain as it's been grey and raining for two days... Qué alegría!

Tasty Eats At Home September 18, 2009 at 9:53 AM  

I love fall. Around here, it doesn't feel like it for long, usually summer lingers around and then bam! it's winter. But I love crisp evenings, I love baking, and I absolutely love soups.

Divina Pe September 18, 2009 at 10:10 AM  

Wow, those are great and interesting produce. I guess you're making the most of if and looking forward to autumn's produce at the same time.

Nancy September 18, 2009 at 12:48 PM  

Hi Ladies,
Thank you all so much for your thoughts. It's nice to hear how people spread out all over the world see or feel about the seasons, and at the same time we see people are people:)
I also have recipes to share of the different autumn photos you see above. Just have some catching up to do!
Have a great weekend everyone!!

Alina September 18, 2009 at 4:05 PM  

I love mid-September to early October, this is my favourite time of the year. It's funny enough that even though I finished school 8 years ago, I still feel like a new "school year" starts for me in September. I make most of my serious resolutions in autumn!
As for cooking... it's the mushroom season!! Yay!

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog. I love to hear from my readers so please leave your thoughts or questions below. Thank You!

(**PLEASE notice that comments with links are sent to the spam filter. This is not a place for you to advertise yourself.**)

Buy or Sell Food Photos!

View My PortfolioRoyalty Free Images

Support Me By Clicking on These Links:

living in Czech Republic Expat Women - Helping Women Living OverseasTopOfBlogsBuy Foodie artHonest Cooking The Food Magazine, Spicie Foodie , contributor

Followers

©2009-2011 All recipes, articles, blog post, content, and images (*Unless otherwise stated*) are the sole property of Spicie Foodie and Nancy Lopez-McHugh. They should not be used without prior written consent. You can contact me here

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP