Homemade Potpourri and a Winner!

>> Tuesday, April 13, 2010

aromatic potpourri, rose, candleBefore I announce the lucky winner of the Le Cruset mortar and pestle set , courtesy of CSN stores , I would like to share another great way to us a mortar and pestle. You all know how much I love all spices and can now see how much I love and use my mortar and pestle. I'm always looking for ways or ideas that require me to put my mortar and pestle to use, and making potpourri is definitely one of my favorites. I love potpourri it makes the house smell so good, looks pretty and it has a very relaxing effect to it. But one day I read the package contents of a potpourri mix and I was surprised to see some unidentifiable ingredients, eek ! I am not a fan of prepackage foods because of the chemicals and preservatives they may contain, and I certainly would like to limit the exposure to my family and home of harmful chemicals in potpourri and other fragrance sprays. So I decided that I would start to make my own homemade potpourri with the ingredients I had in my kitchen.





ingredients for potpourri,candleThis is the first potpourri mixture I made, as a matter of fact it's the one I make most often. One of the best things about this potpourri mixture recipe I'm going to give you is that you should have all the ingredients in your kitchen without incurring any additional cost. This would also make a great gift idea, (personally I appreciate gifts like this that have a more personal touch to them) . When I make this potpourri mixture I use it two ways, the first is just leaving it in a nice decorative bowl to sit and release its amazing fragrance. The other way, and probably my favorite way, I use this is by putting it in a potpourri pot or an aromatherapy pot/lamp with some water that uses a candle to heat up and release the scent faster. It's your choice how you want to use this amazingly fragrant and chemical free homemade potpourri mix.
( Recipe is for a small batch but can easily be doubled or tripled for your individual needs. )
Your ingredients:
12 whole cloves
1 or 2 star anise
1 cinnamon stick
6 all spice
3 whole cardamom pods
1 small piece of nutmeg
dried orange/lemon peel or homemade dried orange/lemon zest
optional - dried rose petals
Mortar and Pestle
potpourri bowl or small decorative bowl or aromatherapy pot









star anise,cinnamon stick,cloves, allspice, nutmeg, zestPlace all of your spices inside the mortar and pestle and lightly pound the spices. You only want to crush and break them up into smaller pieces not powder.


how to grind spices
Next combine with the rose petals and place inside a potpourri bowl or decorative bowl to display.

Alternatively you can place the potpourri mix inside a potpourri or aromatherapy pot to burn. Done! just sit back and enjoy the lovely all natural fragrance as it fills your home. Ah now isn't that relaxing.
burn potpourri in pot
OK and now the moment you've been waiting for! First I want to say thank you to all of you that participated and thanks for your lovely comments I wish I could send each and everyone of you a prize. Drum roll.............. the winner is comment number ,32 - 5Star Foodie!(The winner was chosen using random.org )


Congratulations Natasha 5Star Foodie! I will be contacting you by email to get your shipping information. I am also excited to see your recipe using your brand new cherry red Le Creuset mortar and pestle set!



Thank you Jason and CSN stores for the opportunity and for making our lucky winner a very happy person today! For those of you that didn't win you can purchase it here .

6 comments:

Anonymous,  April 13, 2010 at 9:36 AM  

How cool! I'm very excited to win, thank you so much!

Madhuri Krishna Bhat April 13, 2010 at 10:07 AM  

Homemade Potpurri awesome.Love it and congrats for winner

Bell April 13, 2010 at 10:59 AM  

My wife will love this homemade gift. Congratulations winner!!!

Nancy April 15, 2010 at 8:43 AM  

Thank you all for your comments:)

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog. I love to hear from my readers so please leave your thoughts or questions below. Thank You!

(**PLEASE notice that comments with links are sent to the spam filter. This is not a place for you to advertise yourself.**)

Buy or Sell Food Photos!

View My PortfolioRoyalty Free Images

Support Me By Clicking on These Links:

living in Czech Republic Expat Women - Helping Women Living OverseasTopOfBlogsBuy Foodie artHonest Cooking The Food Magazine, Spicie Foodie , contributor

Followers

©2009-2011 All recipes, articles, blog post, content, and images (*Unless otherwise stated*) are the sole property of Spicie Foodie and Nancy Lopez-McHugh. They should not be used without prior written consent. You can contact me here

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP