Apple Honey Cake for My Honey and Life

>> Tuesday, April 5, 2011



"In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life. It goes on." Robert Frost
Apple Honey Cake; Honey Apple Cake; apples; baking; baked; honey; cake; cakes with fruit; almonds; low fat; low calorie; burbon vanilla; apple almond; spicie foodie; Spicie Foodie blog; Nancy Lopez-McHugh; easy cakes
I am not a big fan of the phrase "It seems like there is nothing but bad news lately." Every day all around the world there are tragedies taking place. People suffering and dealing with the ups and downs that life deals us all. Unemployed people worried about how they will feed their children and pay their bills. People trying to come to terms with the loss of a loved one. People both recovering and battling from disease. There are those dying from or affected with famine and war. Natural disasters in all corners of the world. People working hard to put their lives back together.

Apple Honey Cake; Honey Apple Cake; apples; baking; baked; honey; cake; cakes with fruit; almonds; low fat; low calorie; burbon vanilla; apple almond; spicie foodie; Spicie Foodie blog; Nancy Lopez-McHugh; easy cakes
Sometimes certain events take place that shake our foundations. Those moments that make you realize you need to stop taking your life and loved ones for granted, those moments where you can count yourself lucky because you are surrounded by love. Unfortunately it takes tragedies or low moments in life to push us to become more aware of all we have in our lives. I'm not talking material possessions, while they can be a nice distraction they mean nothing. I am talking about the gifts of giving or receiving love and attention. I will take a hug and the sweet whisper of I love you over any material gift. Those actions are ingrained in my soul and make for lasting happy memories. Albert Einstein said "Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving." We all face our challenges in our own ways but in the end we all must keep going, and we do. Don't waste your time dwelling on unhappy moments or negative thoughts, nothing but dark energy is gained. Learn the life lesson, make your own positive energy and go on. Hug and tell your loved ones you love them everyday, multiple times a day. Cherish the time, the memories you build together. Mend those broken relationships, only good can come from it. Love and being surrounded by love is what keeps us all moving forward. Cherish today, cherish everyday.

I made this Apple Honey Cake for my husband a while back. Just on a whim he mentioned liking apple cake and I thought I'd surprise him with one. My recipe is quite simple, I am not the most experienced baker so there is nothing fancy or complicated about it. It was just meant as a small token of love and as a sweet treat to go with our evening tea. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Apple Honey Cake; Honey Apple Cake; apples; baking; baked; honey; cake; cakes with fruit; almonds; low fat; low calorie; burbon vanilla; apple almond; spicie foodie; Spicie Foodie blog; Nancy Lopez-McHugh; easy cakes,Baking Apples; Johna Gold Apples; golden red apples; apples; fresh; organic; healthy
Apple Honey Cake for My Honey
Makes one small cake (my pan is 7" or 17 cm)

Ingredients:
3 small apples weighing 400 g, after core and chopped 300 g
1.5 cups (220g) A.P. Flour
1.5 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. Bourbon vainilla
pinch salt


Wet Ingredients:
3 tbsp. unsalted butter
4 tbsp. honey
1 medium egg
3/4 cup (177 ml) whole milk

1 extra apple, cored-quartered and thinly sliced
whole or slivered almonds to decorate, optional

1. Preheat oven to 375f or 200c. Melt the butter and allow to cool. Prepare a small round baking pan. In a large bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, vanilla and salt. Mix in the chopped apples and set aside.

Apple Honey Cake; Honey Apple Cake; apples; baking; baked; honey; cake; cakes with fruit; almonds; low fat; low calorie; burbon vanilla; apple almond; spicie foodie; Spicie Foodie blog; Nancy Lopez-McHugh; easy cakes
2. In a separate large bowl, mix the cooled melted butter, honey, egg and milk. Mix until all ingredients are well incorporated. Fold the flour mixture into the wet ingredients. Continue gently mixing the ingredients just until combined. Pour the batter into the cake pan, make sure it is evenly distributed. Arrange the thin apple slices in a circular patter on top of the cake. If you wold like to add almonds either sprinkle the slivered almonds on top or decorate the top with whole almonds.

Apple Honey Cake; Honey Apple Cake; apples; baking; baked; honey; cake; cakes with fruit; almonds; low fat; low calorie; burbon vanilla; apple almond; spicie foodie; Spicie Foodie blog; Nancy Lopez-McHugh; easy cakes
3. Bake in center of oven for 40 minutes or until cooked all the way through. Allow to settle and cool completely before serving. Serve with a cup of tea or coffee.

Apple Honey Cake; Honey Apple Cake; apples; baking; baked; honey; cake; cakes with fruit; almonds; low fat; low calorie; burbon vanilla; apple almond; spicie foodie; Spicie Foodie blog; Nancy Lopez-McHugh; easy cakes

I'd also like to thank all of you for the sweet messages regarding the Huffington Post feature. You guys are so supportive and it's wonderful being part of such a giving and supportive community. Thank you!



39 comments:

Alina---Explora Cuisine April 5, 2011 at 5:49 PM  

Terrifc apple cake, looks so moist, I'll try it out soon :)

Michelle Chin April 5, 2011 at 6:01 PM  

How can you take such good pictures?!

Anonymous,  April 5, 2011 at 6:06 PM  

What a great post. I completely agree with your feelings for the phrase "nothing but bad news". When do you ever see good news on the news or in the newspaper? Not that often, because bad news is what gets reported. While it's good to know about the bad things that are happening, we need to dwell on the good especially in our own lives. And it's hard, but sometimes the good is so small and simple and right in front of you :D
The cake looks gorgeous! I love apple cakes too. How big is the pan you used? Like an 8" or 9" maybe? I'm going to save the recipe for a rainy day when we have a couple extra apples :)

Nancy April 5, 2011 at 6:16 PM  

@Alina, Thanks!

@Michelle, Practice I guess ;)

@fooddoodles, Thank you for taking the time to read my post:) You get exactly what I was trying to say. Thanks for catching that I forgot the pan size. Mine is actually 7" but your 8" would work. It's perfect for 2 people. Let me know if you like it, thanks:)

Heather S-G April 5, 2011 at 6:24 PM  

Beautiful Nancy (all around)...it's the little things that we sometimes take for granted that can touch our hearts the most when remembered. I know he felt loved =) Your simple cake is my favorite type...and simply gorgeous.

Nancy April 5, 2011 at 6:26 PM  

Aw, thank you Heather :)

Sandra April 5, 2011 at 6:28 PM  

I enjoyed reading your post, and so true what you said!
Your Apple cake is perfect and beautiful..I can only imagine how awesome the taste is!
Thanks for sharing!!!!

Vicki Wilde April 5, 2011 at 6:28 PM  

I definitely think there needs to be a little more happy in the world, focus on the good. Beautiful apple cake, looks so moist and tasty.

Nancy April 5, 2011 at 6:58 PM  

@Sandra, Thank you and it was good.

@ Wilde in the Kitchen, Glad you agree and thank you:)

Sandra April 5, 2011 at 7:10 PM  

Excellent post and your pictures are amazing! My daughter is a huge Apple Crisp fan; maybe I can change her mind with this recipe.

claudia lamascolo April 5, 2011 at 7:18 PM  

my grandma made something similar but it sure didnt look this spectacular... lovely presentation!

Harvesting for Life April 5, 2011 at 7:29 PM  

That cake looks absolutely delicious!

Nancy April 5, 2011 at 8:12 PM  

@Sandra, Claudia, Kimberly, Thank you!

Evan @swEEts April 5, 2011 at 9:20 PM  

This is an absolutely beautiful and rustic looking cake.. I can't get over how gorgeous it is! I can only imagine how delicious it is as well.. I love making my honey things like this :) I'm saving this for a spring time brunch!

scrambledhenfruit April 5, 2011 at 10:06 PM  

Beautiful cake and a beautiful message. :) I love your photos!

A little bit of everything April 6, 2011 at 12:07 AM  

a touching post Nancy. we, sometimes, seem to forget all the little things that makes us happy.
The cake looks amazing. I'd love a big slice.
Thanks for sharing

Cherine April 6, 2011 at 2:35 AM  

A gorgeous wonderful cake!!

Hester Casey - Alchemy April 6, 2011 at 5:31 AM  

Gorgeous apple cake. An excellent choice of food to accompany a moment of pondering life.

Magnolia Perez April 6, 2011 at 6:48 AM  

What a neat post! Looking forward for more post from you. Thank you for sharing!

RavieNomNoms April 6, 2011 at 9:13 AM  

Wow gorgeous pictures! We do tend to take things for granted don't we? Thanks for reminding us all take a step back and be thankful.

The Apple Honey Cake looks divine!

Sommer April 6, 2011 at 9:43 AM  

What a lucky hubby!!! This looks gorgeous. I love apples, nuts, bourbon and CAKE! You have my heart :)

Nikki @ The Tolerant Vegan April 6, 2011 at 12:04 PM  

This cake looks delicious! I also agree. Nothing is more precious and more meaningful than a hug or a sincere "I love you." I've been trying to remind myself of that more and more lately.

Tanantha April 6, 2011 at 1:05 PM  

True!! It's depressing to see what's going around the globe. My health also is getting worse. So many health problems recently. However, if I get to try this apple cake, I will feel all better right away. hahaha

Steph April 6, 2011 at 1:28 PM  

What a gorgeous cake!! The flavors sound amazing!

Julia @ DimpleArts April 6, 2011 at 2:34 PM  

A piece of this cake with tea definitely makes life a little sweeter :) Thank you for sharing.

Meagan @ Scarletta Bakes April 6, 2011 at 2:41 PM  

This is one of the most beautiful cakes that I have ever seen! And congratulations on the Huffington Post feature!!

Anonymous,  April 6, 2011 at 2:48 PM  

awesome! I love any excuse to add more honey into my life <3

Claudie April 6, 2011 at 6:06 PM  

Great post!
And I absolutely love your cake. It might be "simple", but it certainly looks just the way a delicious apple cake should look!

Jo April 6, 2011 at 7:12 PM  

That looks wonderful.

Chris April 7, 2011 at 4:06 AM  

This looks delicious. I would eat it and I don't even like apples :D

Chris April 7, 2011 at 6:03 AM  

This looks delicious. I don't even like apples but I'd eat this. Really nice photos btw.

kita April 7, 2011 at 8:56 PM  

Loving your quotes in this post (not to mention that beautiful apple cake). I struggle on a day to day to remember the little things - the things that will matter most - the important things, and let the rest wash away while I cherish what I need to.

sweetlife April 8, 2011 at 12:58 AM  

beautiful words, I would much rather have sweet nothing from my hubby than all the gifts in the owrld, Lovely that you made this for him on the whim, I am sure he loved it..congrats on the feature!!
sweetlife

penny aka jeroxie April 8, 2011 at 10:20 AM  

You are so sweet... IM sure your hubby must be so surprise but happy

briarrose April 8, 2011 at 10:20 AM  

Beautiful cake. So much yummy apple goodness.

Heidi Leon Monges April 8, 2011 at 11:06 AM  

pues según tú no serás una baker experimentada, pero ese apple cake se ve divino. Yo no le hago el feo.

Now, truly divine, the picture of The Buddah.

Magic of Spice April 8, 2011 at 3:35 PM  

What a lovely post! I am so in love with this cake, simply stunning and looks so delicious :)

Conor @ Hold the Beef April 10, 2011 at 9:11 AM  

As gorgeous as this cake is, I find your words even more beautiful. I'm sure a lot of us need to read such things at the moment. Thank you.
xx

Tiffany April 10, 2011 at 10:49 PM  

AMAZING looking cake! And I couldn't agree more with your thoughts on 'life'... In the past year, I've been totally on a quantum physics kick... and I really believe that like attracts like... put out positivity and you get it back. Cherish life and it will cherish you...

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog. I love to hear from my readers so please leave your thoughts or questions below. Thank You!

(**PLEASE notice that comments with links are sent to the spam filter. This is not a place for you to advertise yourself.**)

Buy or Sell Food Photos!

View My PortfolioRoyalty Free Images

Support Me By Clicking on These Links:

living in Czech Republic Expat Women - Helping Women Living OverseasTopOfBlogsBuy Foodie artHonest Cooking The Food Magazine, Spicie Foodie , contributor

Followers

©2009-2011 All recipes, articles, blog post, content, and images (*Unless otherwise stated*) are the sole property of Spicie Foodie and Nancy Lopez-McHugh. They should not be used without prior written consent. You can contact me here

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP