Angelina's Eggplant Parmesan

>> Sunday, September 5, 2010


Today's recipe is not my own creation, it belongs to Frank and Angelina from Memorie di Angelina, (and so fits into my recipe review category). Everyone knows Frank and his wonderful site with beautiful memories of his Italian Grandmother, Angelina. When a recipe has a special story, meaning or memory it draws me in right away, and so you can see that Frank's site is one that I will visit often. Not just for the stories but also for the exquisite dishes he shares with use. I love the way all of his recipes feel like warming comforting foods that you sit around a big table with loved ones to share. Frank always gives us easy to follow instructions that make you feel like you can make delicious and healthy Italian dishes with excellent results. My husband and I love eggplant, he loves eggplant cooked anyway I serve it to him but Eggplant Parmesan is on the top of the list. When I saw Franks recipe my mouth started watering and I immediately showed it to my husband telling him I was going to make it this past week, you can imagine how happy he was.


I've never made Eggplant Parmesan or Parmigiana di melanzane as it is called in Italian, but it is a dish that has been on my list to learn. So I thought what a better way to learn than with Frank's and Angelina's recipe. I followed it exactly as he instructed on his site. Since I wouldn't want to relay incorrect instructions to you I will just send you to Memorie di Angelina for the full recipe.


I know some of you may still be having hot summer weather so turning on your oven may not seam like a great thing to do right now. But you should bookmark or save Frank's and Angelina's recipe to make during cooler weather, trust me it's going to be a dish you'll want to make often. For us it seams like Autunm has moved in , sadly the Summer was mostly cold and now an early Autumn. One positive thing though is that I have been getting into the Autumn season by baking breads, making granola and several of soups to keep warm. A couple of nights ago we had our first single digit temperature, 7C or 45F , so baking season has begun.

Thanks Frank for sharing this very flavourfull, tummy and tastebud pleasing recipe. Now I can say I've made Parmigiana di melanzane !

I am submitting my recipe to Torview's event , Food palette red event giveaway , check it out!

21 comments:

Unknown September 5, 2010 at 9:21 PM  

Oh Nancy this looks so delicious, I will definitely be trying this dish, also thanks to Frank for sharing such a wonderful eggplant Parmesan recipe, wow:)

Anonymous,  September 5, 2010 at 10:03 PM  

I think this dish is worth turning the oven on for, despite the heat here in Phoenix. It looks delicious!

Heather S-G September 5, 2010 at 10:19 PM  

This looks so comforting...and delicious! I wish I could sit down with a big pan and a bottle of wine...and some company =)

penny aka jeroxie September 5, 2010 at 11:15 PM  

I have yet to make this... Looks so delicious that I don't mind that it is vegetarian

Conor @ Hold the Beef September 5, 2010 at 11:53 PM  

It looks so beautifully rich. I can definitely imagine someone's Nonna effortlessly whipping this up in their lovely old kitchen. Delicious photos!

Unknown September 6, 2010 at 5:37 AM  

Wow, this is definitely on my list of comfort foods for cooler days! Not that it gets much cooler than 28C where I am, but it's nice to have on an evening after it has rained heavily :-).

Frank September 6, 2010 at 10:16 AM  

Thanks for this lovely review! Angelina would be tickled pink,in her humble way, that her recipes are traveling around the world.

Tiffany September 6, 2010 at 12:08 PM  

I am also a fan of Frank's blog and I already bookmarked this recipe to try later. It looks like your dish turned out wonderful, good job!

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine September 6, 2010 at 3:41 PM  

this looks awesome bravo to you a perfect recipe~

Katie Zeller September 6, 2010 at 3:42 PM  

On my list of things to try. I tried growing aubergine / eggplant - unsuccessfully. But I think I'm going to have to give in and buy a vegetable so I can do this ;-))

Stella September 6, 2010 at 5:23 PM  

Ooh, this looks wonderful and very authentic, Nancy. I'm like your husband-one can cook eggplant any way for me, so I would gobble Frank's grandma's version down in two seconds flat (smile)...

City Share September 6, 2010 at 5:55 PM  

My husband and I both love eggplant parmesan. I'll be sure to check the recipe to see how we can improve it. Hard to believe that you already have such cool weather. Here in NYC it still feels like summer.

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets September 6, 2010 at 11:18 PM  

Eggplant parmesan is one of my favorite ways to prepare this vegetable. This version looks fantastic!

Anonymous,  September 7, 2010 at 10:52 AM  

I absolutely ADORE eggplant parmesan and this one looks sooooooo fabulous! Thanks for sharing!

Tanantha @ I Just Love My Apron September 7, 2010 at 8:15 PM  

I too adore eggplant parmesan! This looks fabulous Nancy! This dish is something my husband and I can surely enjoy together.

Magic of Spice September 7, 2010 at 10:04 PM  

Nancy, this is absolutely perfect...I bet your husband was delighted. I can not believe this was your first time with this dish, just perfect :)

Juliana September 7, 2010 at 11:19 PM  

Wow, eggplant parmesan...haven't had it for a long time...yours look so tasty...nicely done :-)

Debbie September 9, 2010 at 4:30 PM  

I just made eggplant Parmesan 2 nights ago! But this looks delicious, with all the layers of pasta, cheese, and eggplant, yum! Thanks

Cherine September 15, 2010 at 3:45 AM  

I love eggplant parmesan... and this will be on my list!

Torviewtoronto November 6, 2010 at 10:08 AM  

Yummy looks fantastic thank you for linking

Sarah at Buttered-Up December 19, 2010 at 6:39 AM  

Oh man! I've been looking for a good recipe. This is something I CRAVE on a regular basis. Yum!

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog. I love to hear from my readers so please leave your thoughts or questions below. Thank You!

(**PLEASE notice that comments with links are sent to the spam filter. This is not a place for you to advertise yourself.**)

Buy or Sell Food Photos!

View My PortfolioRoyalty Free Images

Support Me By Clicking on These Links:

living in Czech Republic Expat Women - Helping Women Living OverseasTopOfBlogsBuy Foodie artHonest Cooking The Food Magazine, Spicie Foodie , contributor

Followers

©2009-2011 All recipes, articles, blog post, content, and images (*Unless otherwise stated*) are the sole property of Spicie Foodie and Nancy Lopez-McHugh. They should not be used without prior written consent. You can contact me here

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP