Agua de Sandia -Mexican Watermelon Water

>> Wednesday, June 23, 2010


Agua de Sandia in Spanish literally translates to Watermelon water. Agua de Sandia is a flavor of Mexican beverages called aguas frescas (fresh waters) . These are beverages made of several ingredients or flavors including fruits, like watermelon, cantaloupe melon, cucumber, lime, strawberries, papaya, guava, tamarind and the list goes on. Nuts, seeds and grains can also be used for example, rice, almonds and barley. There is also one made with hibiscus flowers called agua de Jamaica, one of my favorites. The traditional recipes are very simple the ingredients are blended, water is added and some sugar can also be added to slightly sweeten the drinks.

Mexicans love agua frescas with our meals, they act as a cooling drink to compliment Mexican cuisine. They can also help tone down the burning in your mouth from the spiciness of the dishes, ( at least that is what I've experienced). If you walk into a Mexican restaurant or go to Mexico you will see huge glass containers with all the different flavors available. No matter what flavor you choose it will also be a great way to cool off in the summer heat. They are not sweet like soft drinks and are mostly water content from the fruits so they will actually leave your body feeling refreshed and re-hydrated. These are also perfect for Vegans, Vegetarians and those following a raw diet. I should also mention that they will also be much lower in calories and full of vitamins and antioxidants as compared to soft drinks or other sugary drinks which are full of love-handle growing ingredients and preservatives (E numbers), yuck!



* Please note this is a small recipe enough for 6 servings. But it can easily be doubled or tripled to fit your needs. *
Your Ingredients:
1/4 fresh watermelon ( with rind weight 2.5 lb. or 1.13 kilo - without rind 1.1 lb. or 500 grams)
3 cups or 750 ml cold water
The juice from 1 large lime
3 Tbs. granulated white sugar ( adjust to your taste)

Large Pitcher

Blender
Strainer
Ice cubes (optional)

1. Remove the rind and cut watermelon into cubes. Taste the watermelon to see how sweet it is and to get an idea of how much sugar you will need. Place the watermelon in a blender with half the water ( if you have a small blender you may need to do this in batches.) Blend the watermelon until it has completely broken down including the seeds if there are any. Or if you are concerned about the black seeds you can try to pick them out beforehand.

2. Pour the juice of 1 large lemon and the sugar into the pitcher, then place the strainer on top. Gently pour the watermelon water into the pitcher passing it through the strainer. Then add the rest of the water to the pitcher and stir until all ingredients are well incorporated.

It's best to allow the water to sit a bit before you serve it , so place inside the refrigerator or cover and leave on the counter for at least 30 minutes. When you are ready to server you can add a couple of ice cubes to each glass or just serve and enjoy.



The Agua de Sandia will really only keep fresh for one day, it looses it taste and a bit of the color the next day. This recipe can be tweaked and adjusted as you like. By adjusting the sugar amount and even the water amount depending on how juicy the watermelon is.



I hope you try this Agua de Sandia or any other flavor from a local Mexican restaurant very soon ! But just a tip for you, agua frescas never have ice crushed or blended in the mix they are not overly sweetened and are always made with seasonal fruit or fresh grains. If you see it different than I've told you, run .... OK you don't have to run, but don't drink it , it isn't an agua fresca!

*If you are interested in my other recipes for aguas frescas see my cucumber or agua de pepino. *

14 comments:

Belinda @zomppa June 23, 2010 at 8:05 PM  

This is sooooo good!! Refreshing!

Liv Wan June 23, 2010 at 8:20 PM  

I love watermelon water (juice). We drink a lot of watermelon juice in Taiwan. Because Taiwan's weather so hot and humid and it's great weather for grow watermelon.

Thank you for sharing this recipe. Now I know mexican like watermelon water just like Taiwanese hehe. I will try this recipe if I can find a watermelon in Edinburgh. lol

Unknown June 23, 2010 at 11:33 PM  

Thanks for this wonderful recipe, it looks very refreshing!

penny aka jeroxie June 24, 2010 at 3:04 AM  

Watermelons are the best in summer to quench thirst.

Brie: Le Grand Fromage June 24, 2010 at 11:10 AM  

this is lovely! great recipe, and i enjoyed the history as well.

Tanantha @ I Just Love My Apron June 24, 2010 at 3:31 PM  

Watermelon juice is so refreshing! I like it too. It def' can cool off the heat!

Nancy June 24, 2010 at 6:32 PM  

Glad you all agree on the watermelon :)

@ Liv , Really I didn't know Taiwanese also had a watermelon water drink :) Hehe, I guess Mexicans and Taiwanese have a lot in common :) Hope you find some watermelon soon.

Magic of Spice June 25, 2010 at 2:25 AM  

Great recipe...Looks so refreshing:)

singerinkitchen June 25, 2010 at 6:10 PM  

YUM! I have been wanting watermelon for a while but it has been expensive, so I have been doing berries. I am picking up a cantaloupe tomorrow so we will see what inspires me! :) Thanks for your lovely comment on my post today!

fromBAtoParis June 27, 2010 at 5:32 AM  

I'm just back from jogging ...it is so hot, and I see this .....I LOVE IT !!!

Could you send me ten bottles? =D

Anonymous,  June 27, 2010 at 8:32 AM  

Spent all morning gardening in the heat - I need this NOW!

Nancy June 27, 2010 at 4:31 PM  

@Magic Of Spice, Christina and Ruby - Thank you and I hope you do cool off with this Agua :)

@ Noel, Oh yes you can also do A cantaloupe or Agua de Melon . It's just as tasty! You're welcome, it was my pleasure:)

Debbie July 6, 2010 at 8:23 PM  

This looks so refreshing and cool! What an easy way to make something beautiful and yummy, thanks!

Stella August 3, 2010 at 10:05 PM  

Pretty! I just posted lavender Agua de Sandia. I love the color of yours more though!

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog. I love to hear from my readers so please leave your thoughts or questions below. Thank You!

(**PLEASE notice that comments with links are sent to the spam filter. This is not a place for you to advertise yourself.**)

Buy or Sell Food Photos!

View My PortfolioRoyalty Free Images

Support Me By Clicking on These Links:

living in Czech Republic Expat Women - Helping Women Living OverseasTopOfBlogsBuy Foodie artHonest Cooking The Food Magazine, Spicie Foodie , contributor

Followers

©2009-2011 All recipes, articles, blog post, content, and images (*Unless otherwise stated*) are the sole property of Spicie Foodie and Nancy Lopez-McHugh. They should not be used without prior written consent. You can contact me here

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP