My First Pull-Apart Bread, And YBR Reminder

>> Saturday, May 28, 2011


** Reminder May's YBR deadline is on Monday the 30th of May. Sign up here, May's YBR Sign up**


Herb Pull-Apart Bread; spices; herbs; garlic; bread; pull apart bread; pull-apart bread; baking; easy breads; Spicie Foodie; food blog; recipes; top food blogger
I love the smell and taste of fresh baked bread. So much so that I can never wait until it has cooled done enough, I simply must have a small taste soon after it comes out of the oven. In case you are wondering, yes I've burned my mouth many times. And no I will never learn my lesson. It's the aromas and sweetness. Sometimes the hint of fruit. Other times the cocoa or even the herbs and spices, I just can't resist the scent and warmth. I find the process of baking breads relaxing and comforting. When I'm baking I daydream about how people have been baking breads throughout history. I reminisce about walking home from the boulangerie with my warm baguette when I lived in Paris, or about the warm dark breads in Prague. Sometimes I even wonder what kinds of breads were baked in the ancient buildings that surround me. I just love everything about bread.

Some months ago I was reading Roxana's blog, A Little Bit of Everything, and she shared a recipe for a delicious looking bread. If you read Roxana's blog you know that she often shares delicious breads or baked goodies, her Pull Apart Cheesy Herb bread was no exception. I have never seen or heard of pull-apart bread before, I promise I don't live in a cave, but knew that it was something I needed to try. The method of preparing and rising the dough is different from ordinary breads and that was something that also intrigued me. I kept the mental imagine of her bread in the back of my head all these months until finally I got the extra push I needed. A few weeks ago I signed up to help Sarah-Jane shoot some photos of her silicone moulds for her booth at The Ideal Home Show in Scotland. One of the moulds she sent me was a large bread mould, she knows what I like. The large 3 lb mould was perfect for this bread and for all the baking in it's near future. If you guys don't know Sarah-Jane I recommend you stop by her blog and if you are in need of good silicone moulds then visit her company's website. She comes up with the cutest treats like this flower bouquet I can't get enough of. So stop by and say hi.

Herb Pull-Apart Bread; spices; herbs; garlic; bread; pull apart bread; pull-apart bread; baking; easy breads; Spicie Foodie; food blog; recipes; top food blogger
My First Pull-Apart Bread
Recipe based on Pull Apart Cheesy Herb by Roxana
**Please notice I used dried herbs and Roxana used fresh. Feel free to use your favorite fresh herbs.

1 pack fresh yeast 40 g
1 tsp sugar
11/2 cups whole milk ( 1 cup milk + 1/2 water)

3 cups or 360 g AP flour
1 cup or 120 g whole wheat flour

1 tbsp each, granulated garlic, dried oregano, dried basil,
melted or knobs of butter for filling

1 egg, lightly beaten for egg wash

Proofing the yeast:
1. In a large bowl combine the sugar, milk and crumble the yeast. Allow to sit until the yeast foams, about 5-8 minutes. Meanwhile sift together the A.P. flour and whole wheat flour. One the yeast has foamed, make a well in the center of the flour mixture, pour in the yeast and stir until well combined. Kneed the dough on a floured surface into an elastic dough. Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover and allow to rise until doubled in size.
Herb Pull-Apart Bread; spices; herbs; garlic; bread; pull apart bread; pull-apart bread; baking; easy breads; Spicie Foodie; food blog; recipes; top food blogger
2. In a small bowl combine the spices you will be using and set aside. If using a standard baking dish then lightly grease, if using a silicone mould no greasing is needed. Set bread mould/baking mould aside. Lightly punch the dough down, and divide into equal sized balls, I had 12. Roll the balls out into even sized disks. Brush the disks with melted butter, and sprinkle some of the spice mixture. Fold the disks in half into pockets and use a fork to firmly seal the pockets. Place the pockets inside the bread mould/baking mould as in the image below, stacking them side by side until all pockets are inside. Allow to rise again for 20 minutes.
Herb Pull-Apart Bread; spices; herbs; garlic; bread; pull apart bread; pull-apart bread; baking; easy breads; Spicie Foodie; food blog; recipes; top food blogger
3. After 10 minutes of the second rising, preheat the oven to 200c or 375f . After 20 minutes brush the bread with the lightly beaten egg. Bake in center of oven for 35-40 minutes. Allow to cool on wire rack before serving.


Other Pull-Apart Bread Recipes:
- Apple Cores and Anecdotes, Monkey Bread


30 comments:

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake May 29, 2011 at 2:54 PM  

This looks fabulous! I'm sure I saw this magnificent creation on Roxana's blog...but looking at it again has given me a huge craving for this wonderful bread! Yours is beautiful~

Heather S-G May 29, 2011 at 3:03 PM  

It looks beautiful!! And sounds delicious :D

Michelle Chin May 29, 2011 at 4:53 PM  

This looks like a pastry instead of a bread!! And it's a savory bread!

Sandra May 29, 2011 at 5:11 PM  

Oh wow Nancy, this is amazing! I loved it on Roxana's blog and I love your recreation too!
Nicely done!!!

Nancy May 29, 2011 at 5:29 PM  

@Lizzy, Thanks and perhaps you'll give Roxana's a go.

@Heather, Thanks :)

@Michelle, Savory breads are so great as are pastries.

@Sandra, So you know how inspiring her bread was :)

Amanda May 29, 2011 at 5:30 PM  

Yum!!!! And love the pics :)

Emily @ Life on Food May 29, 2011 at 6:37 PM  

Looks wonderful! I have never heard of this either. I must give it a try; you cannot go wrong with bread and cheese in my mind.

Belinda @zomppa May 29, 2011 at 6:59 PM  

Boy would I like to get my hands on that!!

Unknown May 29, 2011 at 7:04 PM  

Oh wow, I really like the idea of a filled pull-apart bread. Now you've put this mental image in MY mind that I probably won't be able to shake off until I get round to making this! Definitely a must-try recipe...soon. ;-)

muppy May 29, 2011 at 7:12 PM  

Wow this looks amazing, i love baking bread too, nothing beats a fresh warm piece of baked bread.

claudia lamascolo May 29, 2011 at 7:12 PM  

As usual you aced this one!I love it havent tryed pull apare bread before. now this makes me want too!

Alina---Explora Cuisine May 29, 2011 at 7:19 PM  

One piece for me please, I love the design you gave to your bread Nancy, just beautiful! Exactly like you, I've never made a pull apart bread before neither, want to try it now that I see yours :) Have a great week, can't wait to see all the beautiful recipes for the YBR!

Claudia May 29, 2011 at 7:47 PM  

I wouldn't wait for that bread to cool - it's worth risking a burned lip after it tantalizes you with its aroma. Just grand!

amlamonte May 29, 2011 at 8:20 PM  

oo, this is beautiful! it looks so...pull-a-partable! yum!

Betty @ scrambled henfruit May 29, 2011 at 8:26 PM  

This is a gorgeous loaf of bread! I love how the little "pockets" pull apart and are full of bursts of herb deliciousness. :)

Erin May 29, 2011 at 10:45 PM  

Yum! This looks so savory and delicious! I am looking for a bread recipe to make tomorrow, and this is now in the running! Thanks!

GourmetGetaways May 30, 2011 at 1:19 AM  

MMMmmm Yum, I make bread all the time but now you have me wanting more!

It is so cold here a pull apart would really hit the spot.

Purabi Naha May 30, 2011 at 4:48 AM  

hi, I just loved this pull apart bread! I have never come across such a bread in India or Hong Kong. Thanks for sharing!

Katherine May 30, 2011 at 5:23 AM  

I love pull apart bread but have never made my own! Now I've got the itch... Thanks!

Peggy May 30, 2011 at 6:43 AM  

Oh yum! I've seen the sweet pull-apart bread floating around the blogosphere lately, but not a savory version! This sounds incredible =)

spcookiequeen May 30, 2011 at 1:10 PM  

Every time I see one of these breads I tear up a bit. They are so good, too hard to resist right out of the oven. Hope you have a wonderful day today. I love this version, thanks for sharing it and mentioning me.
-Gina-

Maria @ Scandi Foodie May 30, 2011 at 2:24 PM  

This looks fantastic! You did a great job!

Evan @swEEts May 30, 2011 at 3:49 PM  

This looks phenomenal! I would love to pull apart a piece right now.. very delicious looking.

Magic of Spice May 30, 2011 at 7:35 PM  

Bravo!!! Your pull-apart bread looks delightful...I just love buttery herded breads and this is such a pretty one :) I don't blame you for tasting too early, they are tempting ;)
Hugs

Unknown May 31, 2011 at 8:13 AM  

Just wanted to let you know that I baked my pull-apart bread today and posted it up as well. It's lovely with the savory filling and definitely something I can get addicted to!

Nancy May 31, 2011 at 8:14 AM  

Hi Maya, Awesome! I'll stop by later today. I can't wait to see how you Foodivafied it! Hehe :)

alana June 1, 2011 at 12:58 PM  

It looks really tasty ,well done!

Roxana GreenGirl June 4, 2011 at 11:04 AM  

Aww, thanks for the sweet words Nancy. So happy you decide to give my humble bread a try and adapt it to your needs.
Yours turned out so great, makes me go into the kitchen and make a loaf for myself.

Sarah-Jane - SiliconeMoulds.com June 17, 2011 at 5:57 AM  

oooh - I love bread. It has to be my biggest vice.... One slice is NEVER enough.

Your bread looks stunning - so pretty. I love tear and share bread. There is something extra special about pulling off chunks to munch without the need to slice it.

Your photos are awesome. Thank you SO much for helping out. I'm VERY priveledged.

Nancy June 17, 2011 at 6:23 AM  

@Sarah-Jane, Thank you and I totally share your feelings about bread. It was my pleasure, glad I could help :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog. I love to hear from my readers so please leave your thoughts or questions below. Thank You!

(**PLEASE notice that comments with links are sent to the spam filter. This is not a place for you to advertise yourself.**)

Buy or Sell Food Photos!

View My PortfolioRoyalty Free Images

Support Me By Clicking on These Links:

living in Czech Republic Expat Women - Helping Women Living OverseasTopOfBlogsBuy Foodie artHonest Cooking The Food Magazine, Spicie Foodie , contributor

Followers

©2009-2011 All recipes, articles, blog post, content, and images (*Unless otherwise stated*) are the sole property of Spicie Foodie and Nancy Lopez-McHugh. They should not be used without prior written consent. You can contact me here

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP