Asparagus Goat Cheese Tart

>> Saturday, May 21, 2011



Asparagus; Goat Cheese; Tart; pie; quiche; eggs; egg tart; cherry tomato; pastry dough; pie dough; recipe; Spicie Foodie; baked; easy; fast; dinner; dinner for two; milk; cream; food blog; photo; food art; food photography
In our home the month of May brings many celebrations, warm weather celebrations, my birthday and our wedding anniversary. This month also brought a case of food poising, lucky me. The best part, that's sarcasm, was that it was the gift of my anniversary dinner. I had so enjoyed our gourmet dinner but it apparently didn't like me too much. Luckily my husband's bedside manner is stellar and so are those activated charcoal pills he gave me. Can I just say that activated charcoal pills work wonders and you should definitely ask your Doctor about them! Anyway, now you know what I've been up to and that I wasn't abandoning my beloved Spicie Foodie nor ignoring you guys. Let's move on to the scrumptious tart pictured here.

Asparagus Tomato Tart, Asparagus; Goat Cheese; Tart; pie; quiche; eggs; egg tart; cherry tomato; pastry dough; pie dough; recipe; Spicie Foodie; baked; easy; fast; dinner; dinner for two; milk; cream; food blog; photo; food art; food photography
Today I will be sharing a recipe for my Asparagus Goat Cheese Tart. Oh Asparagus, those green and white stalky veggies that bring a smile to so many. But did you know that there is also a purple variety called Crimson asparagus and a long thin wild variety? The only variety that has not found itself on my plate is the purple variety, one of these days for sure. Asparagus season begins in April and ends in June, it can be found both preserved and fresh year round in many places. Last week while reading Steen Hanssen's Deutschelicious column, at Honest Cooking, I was intrigued by his article about asparagus or spargel . There is a highly anticipated annual Spargelfest in Germany with many competitions and awards handed out. His article focused on white asparagus, I found it to be both entertaining and informative. He also shared a delicious recipe, this is the link if you're interested : http://honestcooking.com/2011/05/13/deutschlicious-german-white-asparagus-season/

Before I give you my recipe there are some things you should know. What should you know about this tart? It is delicious! It is easy to prepare, takes virtually no time. And did I mention it was delicious? Well, in case you didn't "hear" it is delicious! Seriously, I served the tart alongside a simple green salad as a light meal, perfect for warmer days. Also please notice that I used whole fat milk instead of cream. Feel free to add as much asparagus as you like and/or also cut some up to add to the filling. Enjoy!

Asparagus Tart, Asparagus; Goat Cheese; Tart; pie; quiche; eggs; egg tart; cherry tomato; pastry dough; pie dough; recipe; Spicie Foodie; baked; easy; fast; dinner; dinner for two; milk; cream; food blog; photo; food art; food photography

Asparagus Goat Cheese Tart
Ingredients for 1 tart

fresh wild asparagus or commercial variety of choice
2.5 oz or 70 g goat cheese log
3 medium eggs
2/3 cup or 170 ml whole milk or cream, I used 3.5% whole fat milk
cherry tomatoes, halved as many as you like
pinch salt
pinch ground black pepper

1 ready made pastry dough ( I used commercially prepared dough)

Tart, pie mould

1. Preheat the oven to 200c or 390f . Rinse and trim the asparagus, set aside to drain excess water. Prepare the tart/pie mould by pressing the pastry dough into it, set aside. Using a fork make small incisions around the base of the pastry dough. Place in center of oven and bake for 7 minutes. In the meantime prepare the filling.

2. In a large bowl break down/crumble the goat cheese with a whisk. Pour the milk/cream and mix until the cheese has mostly broken down. Add the 3 eggs, salt and pepper and mix until well combined and eggs are a little fluffy. Pour the liquid into partially baked pastry, arrange the asparagus in a circular pattern, as many or little as you like. Add the cherry tomato halves, arranging as you like and as many as you like.

3. Bake in the center of oven for 30-35 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is firm. Allow to cool before serving. Serve at room temperature or as desired.


Asparagus Tart, Asparagus; Goat Cheese; Tart; pie; quiche; eggs; egg tart; cherry tomato; pastry dough; pie dough; recipe; Spicie Foodie; baked; easy; fast; dinner; dinner for two; milk; cream; food blog; photo; food art; food photography,tulips and lilies
I leave you with flowers and some great Asparagus recipes :


- Linguine with Asparagus , Letizia Golosa
- Grilled Asparagus with Haloumi, Simon Van Den Berg via Honest Cooking
- Spring Promises and Hollandaise , Things We Make
- Grilled Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus , Italian Chef
- Spicy Pork with Asparagus, Oui Chef
- Plus all of the FFWD participants like Foodiva's Kitchen & Patty's Food


34 comments:

Sandra May 22, 2011 at 9:53 AM  

This looks wonderful, and very tasty Nancy!
Amazing pictures,and great recipe as always, really beautiful! Have a wonderful Sunday, and enjoy your warm weather! I am glad that you and your hubby are doing better!

Unknown May 22, 2011 at 10:12 AM  

Nancy, you know that we've recently made a goat's cheese tart, a quiche and an asparagus salad over at French Fridays and they were delicious. And now you've brilliantly combined all three elements of our dishes and THIS looks delicious too (x 3)! Love the funky radial pattern of the asparagus stems.

So, so sorry to hear that you had the stomach bug but glad that the charcoal pills worked (I take them too, btw) and yes, you really did marry the perfect guy! Finally, thanks for the gorgeous bouquet and for the asparagus recipe shout-outs, really appreciate it ;-).

Simply Life May 22, 2011 at 10:14 AM  

oh this looks wonderful and what a beautiful presentation!

spcookiequeen May 22, 2011 at 11:10 AM  

I didn't know about these pills, but I will run out and get some for my medicine cabinet.

Sorry you weren't feeling good, but so glad you are back. This tart sounds amazing and like something I would enjoy very much. I love what you did with the top, so beautiful.

Sounds like some great recipes you have shared with us, will have to go grab some of them. I love asparagus.
-Gina-

Anonymous,  May 22, 2011 at 11:24 AM  

This is National Vegetarian Week in the UK and I bought a veggie magazine to help me get through a week's worth of meals without meat. There was nothing in it that looked anywhere near as good as your tart. Fabulous!

ann low May 22, 2011 at 11:42 AM  

Love this healthy goat cheese tart. Very nice presentation and I love the flowers too!
Take care :)

Çitra's Home Diary May 22, 2011 at 11:55 AM  

ıt seems so so so great Nancy! looks so fancy and scrumptıous at same time... got to try it next time! ^_^

Alina---Explora Cuisine May 22, 2011 at 12:50 PM  

Oh this tart must be so good with the goat cheese! I've never heard of charcoal pills, but so glad they worked for you, it's horrible when someone gets food poisoned :((

Lindselicious May 22, 2011 at 12:50 PM  

Yum! Love goat cheese and aspargus tarts. Yours looks great, the goat cheese must add a nice tangy bite!

Erin May 22, 2011 at 2:11 PM  

What great asparagus recipes - I LOVE asparagus. And what gorgeous pictures!

Roxan May 22, 2011 at 5:28 PM  

Hi Nancy! I feel like it's been so long since I last commented here. I'm so sorry to hear about the food poisoning. luckily I've never suffered from it but I have heard just how horrible it is. Glad you have such a nice and attentive husband though :)

This tart looks amazing! It is so perfect for the spring season. Yum!

The Mistress of Spices May 22, 2011 at 6:56 PM  

Looks wonderful! Found some gorgeous asparagus at the market today and there is some good goat cheese in the fridge. Think I'll be making this this week!

Anonymous,  May 23, 2011 at 1:22 AM  

gorgeous Nancy! i could eat that whole thing! yum

Nandita SS May 23, 2011 at 3:04 AM  

Hi Nancy, The tart looks so fabulous and healthy with the goodness of asparagus and goat cheese. Your clicks completely justifies the recipe :)

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake May 23, 2011 at 6:27 AM  

Yikes...sorry about the food poisoning...but glad your sweet hubby took good care of you! Your tart looks divine...what a great way to used the fabulous asparagus in the market :)

Magic of Spice May 23, 2011 at 11:23 AM  

I am so sorry you ended up with food poisoning but glad you are better now.
This is such a gorgeous tart and I do love asparagus, oddly I am the only one in my family though :( I will have to do a mini tart version :)

Carolyn May 23, 2011 at 11:29 AM  

Oh my gosh, you poor, poor thing! I am so sorry to hear that your anniversary dinner laid you low. This tart looks wonderful, though. A yummy treat once your tummy recovered.

Lynda - TasteFood May 23, 2011 at 2:33 PM  

What a beautiful tart! The addition of tomatoes is a nice touch.

Victoria May 23, 2011 at 2:53 PM  

Asparagus and goat cheese were meant for each other :) Lovely tart. So sorry you got food poisoning, but glad you're feeling better!

Torviewtoronto May 23, 2011 at 6:22 PM  

glad to hear that you are well
happy birthday and happy anniversary
thank you for the flowers :)
delicious looking tart colourful

amlamonte May 23, 2011 at 8:51 PM  

oh, yum! i look forward to asparagus season every year (spargelfest sounds fantastic!), thanks for the gorgeous recipe! glad too that you're feeling better :)

Megan @ Pip and Ebby May 23, 2011 at 8:57 PM  

BEAUTIFUL tart! So sorry to hear about the outcome of your anniversary dinner. :( Super bummer. Glad you're better.

Unknown May 23, 2011 at 9:42 PM  

Hi Nancy, thanks for the mention;-) I'm glad you're well, I hate getting sick;-(
Congratulations on your birthday and anniversary!
I love the flowers, the quality of the light is just amazing in your photo;-)
I'm liking the tart recipe and of course asparagus and goat cheese are such good partners in the filling. I like the way you're always working the healthy angle on your recipes, it's much appreciated by your readers, I think!

Sarah May 24, 2011 at 12:13 AM  

Oh wow. I think I know what I'll be making for dinner this week. I love asparagus season!!

FamilySpice May 24, 2011 at 5:07 PM  

I took charcoal pills when I was working in advertising and the stress wreaked havoc on my stomach. Works well, from what I remember. Beautiful tart! Your pictures are glorious and inspire us wanna-be photogs!

Kate@Diethood May 24, 2011 at 5:31 PM  

Wow, that's just gorgeous! Always love your photos and recipes.

Glad you are feeling better - food poisoning is awful.

Conor @ Hold the Beef May 25, 2011 at 9:20 AM  

Oh yes, some of my favourite things and looking so pretty too! Lovely, my dear :)

Very sorry to hear about the food poisoning though! What timing! I can't help but think of a friend of my sister's who had to have some charcoal tablets for an upset stomach, and chewed on them until her mouth was as black as the night. It was very entertaining for everyone else.

Katherine May 26, 2011 at 2:36 AM  

Glad to hear you are feeling better! Food poisoning is the absolute worst (I had it about a month ago!). I love savory tarts and this one looks particularly phenomenal.

Sandra May 26, 2011 at 6:50 PM  

For so many years I shied away from asparagus. No one could convince me to try it. Once I opened my mind it was love at first bite. Your tart looks scumptious and thanks for the flowers and other recipes.

Sakorarox May 30, 2011 at 11:03 PM  

this looks yummy! but quick question...how much does this make? What size tart was it? (8 inch 9 inch...?)

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog. I love to hear from my readers so please leave your thoughts or questions below. Thank You!

(**PLEASE notice that comments with links are sent to the spam filter. This is not a place for you to advertise yourself.**)

Buy or Sell Food Photos!

View My PortfolioRoyalty Free Images

Support Me By Clicking on These Links:

living in Czech Republic Expat Women - Helping Women Living OverseasTopOfBlogsBuy Foodie artHonest Cooking The Food Magazine, Spicie Foodie , contributor

Followers

©2009-2011 All recipes, articles, blog post, content, and images (*Unless otherwise stated*) are the sole property of Spicie Foodie and Nancy Lopez-McHugh. They should not be used without prior written consent. You can contact me here

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP