Potato Bread Bruschetta with Tomatoes and Arugula

>> Thursday, April 14, 2011



Potato Bread Bruschetta; potato bread; bruschetta; olive oil; garlic; tomato; arugula; dandelion greens; rocket salad; bread; toast; crusty bread; Italian; Spanish bruschetta; Spanish; food; fusion bruschetta; simple; easy; fast; red tulip; Syrah - Grenache; wine; Spicie Foodie; recipe
In my previous post, Spicy Spaghetti with grated Zucchini, along side the pasta you may have noticed the golden crusty bread. That is the recipe I will be sharing with you today. (Well it's not much of a recipe it's really a quick thing to put together.) Bruschetta is defined as toasted bread rubbed with olive oil and garlic. I think when most of us hear the word bruschetta we picture a toasted bread topped with chopped tomatoes, basil and/or an assortment of other toppings. But according to Italian Glossary of Foods and Food Terms , the bruschetta we think of or know today is "a recent metamorphosis" of the simplistic version I previously mentioned. Either version I think we can all agree that it makes a great appetizer or accompaniment to Italian food.

This bruschetta was really a last minute addition to our spicy spaghetti dinner but I sure am glad I made it. I know potato bread isn't a traditional Italian bread to use for bruschetta but it's what I had at hand. It actually worked out perfectly because it was a day old and it became a great crunchy bruschetta. Feel free to use any crusty bread, sliced baguette or regular Italian bread if you do not have potato bread. Alongside the toasted bread I served tomato slices and arugula leaves so everyone could top their own bruschetta as desired. This bruschetta is so easy to prepare and takes virtually no time so there is no excuse not to try it. Enjoy!

Potato Bread Bruschetta; potato bread; bruschetta; olive oil; garlic; tomato; arugula; dandelion greens; rocket salad; bread; toast; crusty bread; Italian; Spanish bruschetta; Spanish; food; fusion bruschetta; simple; easy; fast; red tulip; Syrah - Grenache; wine; Spicie Foodie; recipe
Ingredients:

Potato bread
good quality olive oil, (I used extra virgin olive oil)
1-2 whole and peeled garlic cloves

roma tomato, sliced
arugula leaves


Preheat oven at highest broiler setting. Slice the bread into the thickness desired. Brush the bread lightly with olive oil on top only. Place the bread directly on the oven's wire rack. Allow the bread to toast and turn a light golden color, about 5 minutes. Once toasted remove from oven and brush with a little more olive oil. Rub the garlic into the toast, all around on one side only.

Potato Bread Bruschetta; potato bread; bruschetta; olive oil; garlic; tomato; arugula; dandelion greens; rocket salad; bread; toast; crusty bread; Italian; Spanish bruschetta; Spanish; food; fusion bruschetta; simple; easy; fast; red tulip; Syrah - Grenache; wine; Spicie Foodie; recipe
Serve with tomato slices and arugula leaves on the side or on top. You can serve the toppings on the side to allow everyone to add as much or as little that they want. Drizzle with more olive oil if desired. You can also sprinkle some salt and ground black pepper over the bruschetta for an additional flavor.

What are your favorite bruschetta toppings?


31 comments:

Nandita SS April 14, 2011 at 6:24 PM  

Wow!!! This is such a great quick fix recipe Nancy!!! I loved the tulip in the photographs :)

claudia lamascolo April 14, 2011 at 6:33 PM  

This really sounds delicious! Looks even better ... just love your pictures!

muppy April 14, 2011 at 6:40 PM  

I have never heard of potato bread, sounds interesting :)

Sandra April 14, 2011 at 7:09 PM  

I could see me eating this and having crumbs all over the place. Beautiful picture.

Unknown April 14, 2011 at 7:20 PM  

Looks really fab!!! Perfect and crunchy - two thumbs up!

Tanantha April 14, 2011 at 7:28 PM  

i just made cherry tomato, mozzarella, basil served on a slice of baguette and drizzled with balsamic olive for the event last night. They tasted great and people love them! :D

Alina---Explora Cuisine April 14, 2011 at 8:04 PM  

Delicious, perfect for breakfast!!! I can only imagine the beautiful flavour :)

Cheryl and Adam @ pictureperfectmeals.com April 14, 2011 at 9:04 PM  

Olive oil, garlic, tomato, arugula, what a wonderful simple and delicious combination! And potato bread1 unusual and yummy! Thanks!

Sandra April 14, 2011 at 11:15 PM  

This is beautiful Nancy..Really perfect!

tigerfish April 14, 2011 at 11:23 PM  

Favorite topping gotta be tomatoes :)

Harvesting for Life April 14, 2011 at 11:31 PM  

That looks so good! I love Bruschetta! I like mine with a little olive oil, balsamic vinegar, fresh basil and salt and pepper! Yum!

Unknown April 15, 2011 at 6:27 AM  

Believe it or not, I've never eaten potato bread, let alone have it as bruschetta. But I do like your version rubbed with garlic....absolutely divine! Not sure if I've said this before but congrats on making Top 9 with your previous post, the pasta was fabulous!

Kate April 15, 2011 at 9:04 AM  

Looks delicious! I love potato bread and bruschetta. Your photos make it look phenominal. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous,  April 15, 2011 at 9:17 AM  

Amazing food photo. Beautiful composition.

hmariek April 15, 2011 at 11:18 AM  

Every time I visit your site I am reminded of how beautiful it is! Love this idea of using potato bread! I love tomato-pesto bruschetta on gluten-free bread, with a dash of cayenne pepper (of course). Something about fresh basil, garlic, and Parmesan together- a match made in heaven.

Medifast Coupon April 15, 2011 at 11:54 AM  

A very nice and simple appetizer that I am sure is a crowd pleaser, thanks for sharing.

RavieNomNoms April 15, 2011 at 1:23 PM  

Potato bread is one of my favorite things ever, I love the taste and the color. I really love that you used it for your bruschetta

Sarahworldcook April 15, 2011 at 2:01 PM  

Love your recipes and blog, as well as the pictures. I'm passing on some awards- see them here http://homestyleworldcook.blogspot.com/2011/04/more-awards.html. Enjoying looking at more of your recipes.

Unknown April 15, 2011 at 7:19 PM  

Very crunchy? http://calogeromirafoodand.wordpress.com

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake April 15, 2011 at 7:37 PM  

I love potato bread...and your slices look bakery perfect!

My favorite bruschetta has to be the first topping I ever had: tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, garlic and basil....sooooo good! Have a great weekend, Nancy!~

Betty April 15, 2011 at 8:23 PM  

Crusty bread and fresh tomatoes- perfect!

Unknown April 15, 2011 at 8:58 PM  

Potato bread, tomato, garlic, arugula, olive oil, I don't think it gets better than this;-) I'm also thinking about that glass of wine and the tulip.
Your photos are stunning, I'm loving the green and red colors against the dark background, Wow, gorgeous and inspirational! Have a great weekend and thanks for all your support Nancy;-)

Kankana April 16, 2011 at 12:59 AM  

Bruschetta is one my fav appetizer . I like it with garlic (can't miss that) some fresh greens.. some herbs. Little spinach and some cheese .. that's all i need :) Although at times i add pasta on top, carb on carb ;) and i complain I am putting on weight LOL

Adina April 16, 2011 at 3:06 AM  

Favorite bruschetta topping is mozzarella,tomato,basil and Evoo.
From your photos I understand how contrast is important when is comes to food photography.

Hester Casey - Alchemy April 16, 2011 at 4:24 AM  

Your photos are just beautiful (as usual!) and I love the simplicity of your bruschetta - this is how I like it - good bread, good olive oil, ripe tomatoes and a touch of garlic. Perfection!

Peggy April 16, 2011 at 2:07 PM  

This bruschetta sounds awesome! Simple and true to the original! I love adding a little curry powder to the tomato mixture when I make my modern version of bruschetta!

penny aka jeroxie April 16, 2011 at 8:02 PM  

Simple and clean tasting. But I don't think I ever had potato bread before.

Jayanthy Kumaran April 17, 2011 at 11:42 AM  

wow...amazing recipe..excellent photography
first time here...lovely space with nice presentation..happy to follow u..
do stop by mine sometime...
Tasty Appetite

Our Eyes Eat First April 17, 2011 at 11:43 AM  

soo yum! love potato bread! - ps just wanted to tell you love the look of your blog reminds me of being in a dimly lit romantic restaurant : j

Unknown April 17, 2011 at 12:15 PM  

potatoes + bread = delicious

Magic of Spice April 21, 2011 at 10:52 AM  

Bruschetta is such a wonderful addition to meals...love, love all of this garlic :) Looks delicious!

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog. I love to hear from my readers so please leave your thoughts or questions below. Thank You!

(**PLEASE notice that comments with links are sent to the spam filter. This is not a place for you to advertise yourself.**)

Buy or Sell Food Photos!

View My PortfolioRoyalty Free Images

Support Me By Clicking on These Links:

living in Czech Republic Expat Women - Helping Women Living OverseasTopOfBlogsBuy Foodie artHonest Cooking The Food Magazine, Spicie Foodie , contributor

Followers

©2009-2011 All recipes, articles, blog post, content, and images (*Unless otherwise stated*) are the sole property of Spicie Foodie and Nancy Lopez-McHugh. They should not be used without prior written consent. You can contact me here

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP