Broiled Horsey Chops with Savory Apples, A Meal For Your Man

>> Sunday, February 13, 2011



Pork Chops with Horseradish; Horsey Chops; Horseradish; horse radish; pork; pork chops; broiled; spicie foodie; recipe; how to cook; man's dinner; manly dinner; dinners he'll love; valentine's day meals for him; on a budget; inexpensive; apples; roasted; savory apples; plate
What a weekend it's been, once again I am a proud Tia (auntie) of a beautiful baby boy! And yesterday my gorgeous little sister celebrated her birthday. Felicidades (congratulations) to both of my beautiful and wonderful sisters, I love you guys. Plus tomorrow is Valentine's day, an anniversary of sorts for my hubby and I. Because of the holiday everywhere you look you see sweets and dessert ideas for that special someone. But you can't just eat cookies and chocolate, you've got to make him a special meal he will love. This recipe is guaranteed to satisfy any man in your life! How can I guarantee this to you? Well, a wonderful man created this recipe, my husband. He is a fantastic cook and he taught me many things about cooking and also introduced me to world cuisine and to many "exotic" ingredient (like in this dish). I say exotic because to an immigrant Mexican girl horseradish IS exotic. I don't recall my mother ever making us tacos or tamales with horseradish... nope don't think so. Maybe we should try that sometime, you never know.

In our previous flat we had a large kitchen in which we used to cook together. It was our way of catching up and a great opportunity for me to learn his recipes. Our current kitchen is smaller than a closet, so nowadays I do the majority of the cooking. Not because he doesn't like to cook, but because it's my way of paying him back for all of those years he cooked. Ok, maybe it's also because he can't get enough of the Mexican food that I cook :) Sometimes we'll both squeeze into our tiny kitchen to cook together and I love it. Cooking with your special someone is something that I highly recommend, it is fun and a great way to let go of the day's stress.

Pork Chops with Horseradish; Horsey Chops; Horseradish; horse radish; pork; pork chops; broiled; spicie foodie; recipe; how to cook; man's dinner; manly dinner; dinners he'll love; valentine's day meals for him; on a budget; inexpensive; apples; roasted; savory apples; plate
Horsey Pork Chops Ingredients:
Bone-in pork chops, I make 2 per person
prepared horseradish, use as much as you like
salt
ground black pepper
vegetable oil to lightly coat

TIP* to prevent too much mess in the oven, cover a baking sheet with aluminuim foil and place right underneath the oven rack with the pork chops. Then just remove after broiling is done or easy cleanup.*
1. Preheat broiler for 10 minutes, Pat dry the pork chops and brush with a little bit of vegetable oil. Rub the pork chops with a little bit of salt and black pepper on both sides. Place the pork chops directly on oven rack right underneath broiler. Cook for 10 minutes then flip and continue cooking for another 10 minutes. Pour some prepared horseradish onto a small bowl. Use a spoon to spread a thick layer of horseradish ontop of each pork chop. Slide the coated pork chops back under the broiler and cook until the horseradish is dark and charred. Check on them often to prevent smoking and burning. **For more tips on broiling times and distance please read this article : Grilling and Broiling Pork on recipetips.com. **

Pork Chops with Horseradish; Horsey Chops; Horseradish; horse radish; pork; pork chops; broiled; spicie foodie; recipe; how to cook; man's dinner; manly dinner; dinners he'll love; valentine's day meals for him; on a budget; inexpensive; apples; roasted; savory apples; plate

My husband says he got the idea for these pork chops from his mom's pork roast that is rubbed with a little bit of horseradish coating. The name Horsey Chops, it seems that he got the inspiration from Arby's Horsey sauce. Typically we serve it with mashed potatoes and steamed Brussels sprouts. This last time I made the Horsey Chops I decided to serve them with some savory baked apples, and it was a great combination of flavors.

Bakes Savory Spiced Apples; spiced; apples; baked; savory; fast; easy; side dish; recipe; spicie foodie; how to bake apples; red apples; yellow apples; european variety

Savory Baked Apples Ingredients:
3 small apples, (I used a local variety of Jonagold)
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tbsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tbsp. ghee (clarified butter) or 1 tbsp. sunflower oil

1. Preheat oven to 200C or 392F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or baking mat then set aside. Core the apples and cut into even sized wedges. Mix all ingredients until apple wedges are well coated with the spices and oil. Spread the apple wedges on a baking sheet, bake in the center of the oven for 10 minutes or until tender.

This meal is super easy to make, fast, you won't have to wash many dishes, inexpensive, and so delicious. You could call it the perfect meal for your man but you'll also love it. Delicious enough for a special occasion and easy enough for any night of the week.
Pork Chops with Horseradish; Horsey Chops; Horseradish; horse radish; pork; pork chops; broiled; spicie foodie; recipe; how to cook; man's dinner; manly dinner; dinners he'll love; valentine's day meals for him; on a budget; inexpensive; apples; roasted; savory apples; plate

26 comments:

She's Cookin' February 13, 2011 at 1:28 AM  

Pork chops are truly a man pleaser :) And my man won't eat them without apples - so I'm loving the baked apple wedges. Congrats on being an auntie once again and on your Valentine's anniversary!

Sommer February 13, 2011 at 5:08 AM  

Looks gorgeous....I haven't eaten breakfast yet so this pushed my hunger over the edge. Oh I think my husband would like these, too...:D

FamilySpice February 13, 2011 at 10:05 AM  

You know they say, the way to a man's heart is through his stomach. My husband and I have an agreement. I cook indoors, he cooks outdoors! Happy Valentine's Day!

Frank February 13, 2011 at 10:35 AM  

Gee, I'm disappointed. When I read 'horsey' chops, I thought you meant actual horse. Naughty me... but I actually do like horsemeat, which is still sold in France and Italy as you may know.

Sandra February 13, 2011 at 10:37 AM  

Looks fabulous as always. S delicious and inviting. Happy B-day to your sister, and of course Happy Valentine's Day!
Cheers!

Sandra February 13, 2011 at 10:38 AM  

Looks fabulous as always. S delicious and inviting. Happy B-day to your sister, and of course Happy Valentine's Day!
Cheers!

Nancy February 13, 2011 at 11:02 AM  

@Priscilla, Thank you and Happy Valentine's Day to you too:)

@Sommer, I hope he does:)

@FamilySpice, Yes that's true and I like your agreement:)

@Frank, Oh sorry to disappoint you. Yes it's also sold here in CZ, but I have never tried it. My husband ate horse goulash, he said it was good.

@Sandra, Thank you and Happy Valentine's Day to you too:)

scrambledhenfruit February 13, 2011 at 2:19 PM  

Hubby loves horseradish so he'd love these! The black pepper and cardamom in those apples sounds delish too. :)

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine February 13, 2011 at 2:28 PM  

your pictures are so mouth watering! I cant seem to get any of the lighting right even with lamps, if I dont take them outside they look aweful... every shot you have is exceptional! lovely post!

Sharon Rudd February 13, 2011 at 2:47 PM  

Love the horseradish and pork combination. Sounds delicious! Happy Valentine's Day to you and yours.

Susan February 13, 2011 at 3:25 PM  

Love pork and apple combo ... even more interesting with a kick of horseradish involved! Very creative!

Belinda @zomppa February 13, 2011 at 5:48 PM  

Congratulations!!! And happy birthday!!!

chow and chatter February 13, 2011 at 8:02 PM  

congrats on being an Auntie, great dish pork and apples perfect combo have a blessed valentines

Rebecca

Nancy February 13, 2011 at 8:48 PM  

@scrambledhenfruit, I hope you try it.

@Claudia, That is so sweet of you to say :) Could the problem for you be perhaps the White Balance? Try adjusting it to tungsten light on your camera & see what happens.

@Intuitive Eggplant, Thank you and Happy Valentine's Day to you too!

@Susan, Thanks I'll tell my hubby :)

@Belinda, Thank you sweetie:)

@Chow &Chatter, Thank you and I hope you also have a great Valentine's day!

Stella February 13, 2011 at 9:27 PM  

My Nancy! These horsey chops look so wonderful! I used to love a good pork chop back in my meat eating days, and I still really like horseradish. It's so nice the way it burn the nostrils (smile). I bet these chops are delicious, and I can see where this would be a great man gift for Valentine's;-)
p.s. I missed you too, Lady (smile).
p.s.s. Sorry for being absent. I was in Key West, and I didn't go near a computer for days on end. It was great:)

denise @ bread expectations February 13, 2011 at 9:29 PM  

Hi Nancy :) Thanks for visiting my blog.

I love horseradish and think it goes wonderfully with meat. This looks so appetising and I really like the way you prepared the apples.

Hope you have a wonderful Valentine's Day :)

penny aka jeroxie February 14, 2011 at 12:18 AM  

lovely meal and I think simple is good. V day is overrated but it is the thoughts that counts.

Angie's Recipes February 14, 2011 at 9:03 AM  

This looks mouthwatering! And congratulations for becoming an auntie!

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE February 14, 2011 at 10:56 AM  

My man would love this--but he's cooking for me tonight! Happy Valentine's Day!

Tasty Trix February 14, 2011 at 2:59 PM  

I agree, cooking with your man is fun! Poppa Trix would love this dish. : ) And congrats on being an auntie - I am going to be one for the first time in June, and I'm so excited!

Claudia February 14, 2011 at 4:42 PM  

That a grand combination - pork, apples and horseradish! I use horseradish on beef a lot and never on pork. Silly me. Time for a change. Luscious as usual.

Unknown February 15, 2011 at 1:30 AM  

Horsey chops are new to me and kudos to your man for teaching you how to make it so you can cook it back for him (aren't guys just clever that way?). But what's really getting me hooked are those savory baked apples...a must try!

Rosa's Yummy Yums February 15, 2011 at 1:34 PM  

That looks delicious! Light, but flavorful and very pleasant.

Cheers,

Rosa

Magic of Spice February 16, 2011 at 3:35 PM  

Oh congratulations on your new addition...how exciting! And a Happy Birthday to your sister :)
This is definitely a great recipe and being served with the baked apples is perfect! I love that you guys spend time together in the kitchen, even if it a bit cozier these days :)
Hugs

Anonymous,  February 17, 2011 at 9:24 PM  

OMG this looks fabulous!! What kind of camera do you use?!

Nancy February 18, 2011 at 9:52 AM  

Thank you everyone and I hope you enjoy the recipe.

@dishinaboutnutrition, Thanks, I use a Pentax DSLR camera . There is more information under the photography label.

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog. I love to hear from my readers so please leave your thoughts or questions below. Thank You!

(**PLEASE notice that comments with links are sent to the spam filter. This is not a place for you to advertise yourself.**)

Buy or Sell Food Photos!

View My PortfolioRoyalty Free Images

Support Me By Clicking on These Links:

living in Czech Republic Expat Women - Helping Women Living OverseasTopOfBlogsBuy Foodie artHonest Cooking The Food Magazine, Spicie Foodie , contributor

Followers

©2009-2011 All recipes, articles, blog post, content, and images (*Unless otherwise stated*) are the sole property of Spicie Foodie and Nancy Lopez-McHugh. They should not be used without prior written consent. You can contact me here

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP