Classic Egg Salad and Another IIP

>> Saturday, September 25, 2010

egg cups; egg salad; Hard boiled eggs; healthy; how to; old fashion; old fashioned; recipe; brown; table; wood; chives
Today's recipe is for classic or old fashion egg salad, it may not be a very fancy salad or recipe but it's definitely one of our favorite lunches. I've been wanting to do a post for the egg salad for a while but it has just kept being pushed back and I never took photos of it until a couple of days ago. I have Penny to thank for the final push because the theme this month for her IIP (international incident party) is eggs. Well I actually had several ideas of different egg dishes I could make for the IIP, but quite honestly I took the easier way this time. I have been extremely busy working a big project that I will share with you guys in the coming weeks, so please make sure you come back to hear the news.

egg cups; egg salad; Hard boiled eggs; healthy; how to; old fashion; old fashioned; recipe; brown; table; wood; chives
Obviously in order to make egg salad you need to have hard boiled eggs prepared. I have already shared my way of cooking perfect hard boiled eggs every time. You can find the instructions in my archives here.


I also want to add a little note to the technique, I have learned from so many websites that if you add a teaspoon of baking soda (soda bicarbonate) to the water it will make removing the shells much easier. Which honestly can be such a hassle because the shells can sometimes stick to the egg white. This last time I decided to add the baking soda and I peeled the egg shells under running water. If you have a special technique or trick share with the rest of us in the comments section below.

Ingredients:
6 hard boiled eggs
3-4 tbsp. mayonnaise
1/2 tsp. salt, adjust to taste
pinch ground black pepper, adjust to taste

large bowl
fork or potato masher
spoon

1. Remove the shells from the boiled eggs. Place the eggs in a large bowl, using either the back of the fork or a potato masher push down to break up the eggs. Continue until you have coarse pieces or to the desired consistency.

2. Add the mayonnaise to the bowl and mix until well incorporated. Sprinkle the salt and ground black pepper over the egg salad and mix until well incorporated. Taste and adjust salt and/or pepper if needed.

Serve on bread of your choice. egg cups; egg salad; Hard boiled eggs; healthy; how to; old fashion; old fashioned; recipe; brown; table; wood; chives; egg salad sandwich; wheat; bread; lunch


Don't forget to stop by Penny's site for her Egg recipe as well as visiting all of the other participants submissions. Oh I can't wait to see all the wonderful recipes everyone has shared.


This last photo I'm just throwing into the mix because I loved the way the sunlight was hitting our healthy lunch. See you can make it extra healthy and nutritious by adding your favorite fresh fruit and some tea or coffee with milk and you're set :)
egg cups; egg salad; Hard boiled eggs; healthy; how to; old fashion; old fashioned; recipe; brown; table; wood; chives; egg salad sandwich; wheat; bread; lunch,fruit, nectarine

International Incident Eggs Party

37 comments:

Jo - SecondHelping September 25, 2010 at 10:35 PM  

Egg salad is the one way to eat eggs that I have never really been a fan of, but yours looks so nice I may have to change that.

Anonymous,  September 25, 2010 at 11:04 PM  

Your egg salad looks super delicious for sure!

Conor @ Hold the Beef September 25, 2010 at 11:40 PM  

Simple but a perennial favourite and you've done it to perfection. Love the presentation in the cups too :)

penny aka jeroxie September 26, 2010 at 2:23 AM  

baking soda? will have to try this tip next time. I had so much trouble with my quail eggs!

classic egg salad sandwich is still one of my favourite party food.

Thanks for joining the party!

Shirley September 26, 2010 at 7:51 AM  

Well presented!I've always been meaning to try an egg salad. Should get down to it. It looks good in the sandwhich.

Emma @CakeMistress September 26, 2010 at 8:47 AM  

Oh, but comforting uncomplicated home recipes are always the best :)
Thanks for sharing your egg salad recipe. It's been too long between egg sandwiches!

Torviewtoronto September 26, 2010 at 10:08 AM  

We make egg sandwiches the same way wow :)

Anonymous,  September 26, 2010 at 10:53 AM  

Mmmmmm - egg salad! Always a good idea. So guess what's going in lunchboxes tomorrow? :-) I grate the egg with a regular cheese grater, which works well so long as the egg has cooled down enough first (otherwise you burn your fingers). Lovely photos as always!

Claudia September 26, 2010 at 12:10 PM  

I adore egg salad and always forget - until someone like you presents it perfectly and reminds me. You took the humble, dependable egg and made a meal!

Peggy September 26, 2010 at 12:26 PM  

I've always had a love-hate relationship with egg salad. It just depends on my mood really, but this sounds and looks great!

Belinda @zomppa September 26, 2010 at 12:54 PM  

Where did you get those egg holders? They are awesome!

Treat and Trick September 26, 2010 at 12:59 PM  

Simple and yummy but you have presented it well...

City Share September 26, 2010 at 1:01 PM  

So many times simple is best. I love a classic egg salad sandwich. Those look great.

Unknown September 26, 2010 at 2:51 PM  

I like it, simply and beautifully presented egg salad, love the egg cups:)

Tasty Trix September 26, 2010 at 2:54 PM  

Egg salad is one of my very favorite sandwiches. I love your presentation!!! I find that immediately putting the eggs in ice water for 5-10 minutes really helps the peeling. Plus using slightly older eggs for some reason. Thanks for coming to the party!!

bunkycooks September 26, 2010 at 5:08 PM  

I love egg salad. It is definitely included in my list of comfort foods. Great photos!

Stella September 26, 2010 at 5:26 PM  

Hey Nancy, you know, egg salad is one of my favorites too. It's so rich and delicious. Plus, yours is so simply made-that's nice. Oh, and I'm going to try that baking soda trick. I always have the hardest time with the shells...

Evelyne@CheapEthnicEatz September 26, 2010 at 5:32 PM  

The classic egg salad is always a crowd pleaser, especially yours. Thanks for the baking soda tip! And thanks for wishing me luck in round 2, just posted!

Whatsfordinneracrossstatelines September 26, 2010 at 7:10 PM  

Can't wait to hear the big news! It may be humble egg salad, but your photos elevated it! I wish I had your photo skills. Have a great weekend.\-Gina

Simply Life September 26, 2010 at 7:40 PM  

that looks great and your pictures are incredible!

my boyfriend cooks for me September 26, 2010 at 9:35 PM  

I love egg salad, and I usually stay pretty classic, but recently I've discovered that using wasabi mayo instead of regular mayo is not a mistake!

Roxan September 26, 2010 at 10:45 PM  

Those are some perfectly hard boiled eggs! Mine are always overcooked. Delicious looking sandwiches :)

Iron Chef Shellie September 26, 2010 at 11:17 PM  

I don't really do egg sandwiches, but mmmmm i would like to have one now!

sophia September 27, 2010 at 12:42 AM  

Oh, eggs. How wonderful are they? They don't even need much ingredients to become luscious and sexy.

Brie: Le Grand Fromage September 27, 2010 at 12:55 AM  

hey, egg salad! so cute in the little egg cups! i also cut the crusts off my sandwiches when serving them to guests, but i like to leave them on for just myself. great post!

MJ September 27, 2010 at 8:21 AM  

Hey...thanx for dropping by my site :) those holders are really pretty....boiled eggs soaked in cold water for 20mins shud do the trick....i dont normally have a problem in getting the shell of that way =) Cheers!!

Heather S-G September 27, 2010 at 8:46 AM  

mmmm! I love a good egg salad. I try to peel right after putting into ice water to stop cooking...sometimes I'm lucky...sometimes not ;) Love your egg cups, too!

foodcreate September 27, 2010 at 9:35 AM  

Your egg salad looks so delicious!:)

Anonymous,  September 27, 2010 at 11:26 AM  

Simple and delish!

Priscilla - She's Cookin' September 27, 2010 at 11:29 AM  

I love egg salad! Beautiful photos - esp. in the rustic egg cups. Can't wait to hear about the big project you're working on. A method that I read about way back when was running cold water and then warm water over the eggs immediately after cooking to make removing the shells easier - it works, but I'll try the baking soda, too.

fromBAtoParis September 27, 2010 at 4:22 PM  

I love those sandwiches !!! and the photos are great !!

Tanantha @ I Just Love My Apron September 27, 2010 at 5:32 PM  

I think it's classic, elegant,yet simple Nancy! This is great and I like that you made a sandwich with it. I can;t wait to hear about a new project! I'm excited for you as thinking of it and I'm sure it's going to be great Nancy!

Biren September 28, 2010 at 10:44 AM  

The egg salad and sandwiches look really good. Have not had egg sandwiches in a while and you are making me want some now.

Pretty. Good. Food. September 29, 2010 at 12:17 PM  

Mmmm, this is a favorite sandwich of mine. Beautiful photos! Makes me hungry just looking at them :)!

Barbara Bakes October 3, 2010 at 10:17 AM  

You've made egg salad look so elegant in your beautiful egg cups.

Magic of Spice October 4, 2010 at 12:28 AM  

Wow, so love the egg salad in those fantastic cups...The photos are amazing. You have taken egg salad to such a glamorous hight :)

Alina October 5, 2010 at 10:41 AM  

Generally I'm not such a fan of hard-boiled eggs, but your presentation makes this salad very inviting!! Love the photo of your healthy lunch!

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog. I love to hear from my readers so please leave your thoughts or questions below. Thank You!

(**PLEASE notice that comments with links are sent to the spam filter. This is not a place for you to advertise yourself.**)

Buy or Sell Food Photos!

View My PortfolioRoyalty Free Images

Support Me By Clicking on These Links:

living in Czech Republic Expat Women - Helping Women Living OverseasTopOfBlogsBuy Foodie artHonest Cooking The Food Magazine, Spicie Foodie , contributor

Followers

©2009-2011 All recipes, articles, blog post, content, and images (*Unless otherwise stated*) are the sole property of Spicie Foodie and Nancy Lopez-McHugh. They should not be used without prior written consent. You can contact me here

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP