DMBLGIT award and Kofola

>> Tuesday, August 3, 2010

DMBGLIT, award, blogger awards, photography, contest

I'm so excited I have received another award, this time it's from the monthly photography contest DMBLGIT. July's installment was hosted by the lovely Asha from Fork Spoon Knife.


DMBLGIT ,raw,Almonds,3rd Place July

The award was for 3rd Place and I am humbled and honored to have been one of the winners. As always there were some beautiful shots by very talented fellow bloggers and to have been included in the winners list came as a very welcomed surprise. I'm excited because this is my second time winning, you can see the previous one here. The winning shot was from my Almond milk recipe.By the way they need people to host the monthly events, if you are interested please visit SpittoonExtra for more details.

When I saw the email from Asha yesterday I felt like giving myself a little treat. I had a Kofola. What is a Kofola? it is a Czech/Slovak soft drink that is similar to Coca Cola and Pepsi. In fact the drink is the #1 rival to those companies here in the Czech/Slovak lands. Some of you may have noticed that I'm not big on sugar and certainly not on sugar drinks/ soft drinks or as I like to call them sugar water. It's not something I like to drink well, ever. But Kofola was something I had to try. I have been asked by some Czechs if I have ever tasted Kofola and they couldn't believe I had not. You see they are very proud of their uniquely Czech product and they started to tell me a bit about this drink and insisting that I had to try it some time. Well of course it's something that had to go on my list of things to try. I did a little search and here's what I found out : ( per Wikipedia)

Kofola,soft drink

"Kofola originated in the Czechoslovak pharmaceutical company Galena in the early 1960s during research targeted at finding a possible use for surplus caffeine produced in the process of coffee roasting. The resulting dark-coloured, sweet-and-sour syrup Kofo became the main ingredient of a new soft drink named Kofola introduced in 1962.
During the 1960s and 1970s Kofola became exceedingly popular in communist Czechoslovakia because it substituted for Western cola-based drinks like Coca-Cola or Pepsi, which were available but priced at more than twice the price of Kofola. Kofo syrup, the main ingredient of Kofola, consists of 14 natural ingredients (such as extracts from apple, cherry, currant, or herbal aroma), sugar, and caramel. In comparison with Pepsi or Coca-Cola it contains 30% less sugar, a little more caffeine (17 mg/100ml, Coca-Cola 15 mg/100ml) and it does not contain phosphoric acid. "


I have to admit for someone who doesn't normally drink or like this type of drink I quite enjoyed Kofola. Though it was still a bit sugary for my taste, it wasn't over the top sweet. It had a slightly fruity flavor with a hint of what I though was cloves - I could be wrong. It was also fun drinking it out of an old fashion glass bottle with a straw. Either way I'm glad I finally tried it even if I can't manage to drink another one I'll remember it fondly. Unfortunately I didn't find any evidence of this drink being available outside of this region. But if you're ever visiting make sure you try the drink, well if you can fit it in with all the beer tasting that takes place here. Czechs are also very proud, as well they should be, of their beers.

Kofola,soft drink,glass bottle, old fashion, bottle cap


Haha maybe the company will come across my blog and get the idea to export it all over the world :) yeah right.

16 comments:

Tanantha @ I Just Love My Apron August 3, 2010 at 7:26 PM  

Congrats Nancy!!! You deserve it. I like all your photos. They are gorgeous! Including ones on this post. Would they have it in Spain or Italy? I'm going there in Oct. I'm so excited!

penny aka jeroxie August 3, 2010 at 8:33 PM  

Congras! That is amazing... HOOT!

Torviewtoronto August 3, 2010 at 9:15 PM  

lovely pictures and congratulations

Anonymous,  August 3, 2010 at 9:17 PM  

Cheers to you, Nancy! Very well deserved honor!
>>^..^<<

Magic of Spice August 3, 2010 at 11:00 PM  

Congrats again...so happy for you:) Your photos are always beautiful!

Unknown August 4, 2010 at 12:06 AM  

Congratulations on your award, you deserve it your photos are stunning and I love your recipes as well:-)

Madhuri Krishna Bhat August 4, 2010 at 1:30 AM  

Congrats Nancy. Well deserved. A very well composed photographs. Hope to see many more.

Anonymous,  August 4, 2010 at 3:43 AM  

Congratulations! Not surprising, though - your photos are always gorgeous!

Claudia August 4, 2010 at 1:34 PM  

Really? Just 3rd place with that photo? Do you give lessons? Gorgeous! Hearty congrats. Of course someone should export your ideas around the world... and pay you handsomely I might add.

Evan @swEEts August 4, 2010 at 5:20 PM  

Congratulations! And for someone who doesnt like a lot of sugar thanks for stopping by my blog so often :) That picture is fantastic by the way.. I hope I can get that good some day!

mysimplefood August 4, 2010 at 7:26 PM  

Congrats on your awards. Your pics are great and you have been on Foodbuzz top 9 a couple of times too right!1 Well done!

Heather S-G August 4, 2010 at 7:26 PM  

Congratulations! So well deserved...your photos are always knock-outs! I don't think I can Kofola around here...but I'm surely gonna look!

Stella August 6, 2010 at 11:00 PM  

Hey Nancy, this photo does have excellent composition. The mood of it is so pretty too! Congratulations-that's so nice to receive something like that.
Oh, and I try not to drink soda really, but your photos here are giving me a craving. And what an interesting history this soda has-sounds like something I could surely get addicted to (smile)...

Nancy August 11, 2010 at 5:33 PM  

Thank you all for your sweet comments and congratulations :)

lubos October 11, 2010 at 3:17 PM  

Excellent! Kofola is my favorite drink in the world. Too bad you can't find it here in the US (outside of import companies, that is).

By the way, here is a list of my Slovak favorite treats: http://www.slovakcooking.com/2010/blog/guide-to-slovak-snacks-and-wafers/

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog. I love to hear from my readers so please leave your thoughts or questions below. Thank You!

(**PLEASE notice that comments with links are sent to the spam filter. This is not a place for you to advertise yourself.**)

Buy or Sell Food Photos!

View My PortfolioRoyalty Free Images

Support Me By Clicking on These Links:

living in Czech Republic Expat Women - Helping Women Living OverseasTopOfBlogsBuy Foodie artHonest Cooking The Food Magazine, Spicie Foodie , contributor

Followers

©2009-2011 All recipes, articles, blog post, content, and images (*Unless otherwise stated*) are the sole property of Spicie Foodie and Nancy Lopez-McHugh. They should not be used without prior written consent. You can contact me here

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP