Emeril's Crab Cakes with Avocado Emulsion

>> Friday, June 4, 2010

Today I am doing another recipe review that is an amazing mouth watering recipe belonging to a world famous Chef, Emeril Lagasse. Emeril is a celebrity chef in the US with a TV show, many books, restaurants around the US and has merchandise collection for sale. He is know for his Cajun,Creole and Portuguese cuisine. If you are not familiar with him you should really check him out, he is an amazing Chef. We have actually used this recipe a couple of times and both times it has resulted with heavenly results. Crab cakes are a popular American dish with unique recipes from the different American coastal crabbing industries. Crab cakes are not only popular in those areas, they are also to be found in an assortment of restaurants in the US. My husband and I searched and looked at several different recipes from different regions, but this is the one that appealed most to the both of us.

The recipe calls for fresh crab meat picked over from the shells and cartilage. Being that we are currently living in a land-locked country we won't be finding fresh crabs anytime soon. I have never seen fresh crab (nor Lobster) for sale at any of the local stores. Luckily we have found canned crab meat and have used it as a substitute. One time we were very lucky to have found canned Grade-A Russian king crab meat, which was just perfect and at a bargain price. This last time we weren't so lucky, we could only find Thai crab meat that was lower grade and smaller shredded pieces, but nonetheless worked just fine.

The only thing I changed from the recipe is that I allowed the crab meat to sit overnight before adding the breadcrumbs and frying. I'm glad I did this because it really allowed the crab meat to pick up the flavors from the spices. It is your choice if you want to do as I did or just follow the recipe as is.

One of the suggested sides to serve these heavenly crab cakes is Emeril's Cilantro-Avocado Emulsion. That is the creamy green sauce you see in my photos. The emulsion was so creamy, tangy and a bit spicy which went perfect with the crab cakes. I think that the flavors added or helped bring out the taste of the crab even more. Plus it gave the meal a fresh and light feeling to the fried cake. Which for me is a big plus since I'm not such a big fan of fried foods because of the greasy after taste left behind, the emulsion really took that away.

The crab cakes were light with and crispy on the outside. The inside felt soft with a burst of flavors, there were just simply scrumptious. The recipe was one of the best crab cakes ever! A Five Star rating all the way. Even though it was a bit time consuming it was well worth every second. This is a recipe that I would really suggest for a dinner party as a main dish or made into small pieces as an appetizer.

Here is the recipe for Emeril's Crispy Louisiana Crab Cakes with Cilantro-Avocado Emulsion.

17 comments:

Belinda @zomppa June 4, 2010 at 7:44 PM  

Yours came out looking very lovely!

Magic of Spice June 4, 2010 at 8:07 PM  

Amazing!!! They look perfect:)

Carol Egbert June 4, 2010 at 8:16 PM  

I've never made an avocado emulsion. Is it like making mayo?

Cook with Madin June 4, 2010 at 8:20 PM  

This is looks really good. I love the avocado emulsion. Although I have never made them before.

s June 4, 2010 at 9:24 PM  

These look great. What do you think about making them w/o the mayo (Mayo grosses me out)? Do you think they'd hold together?

bunkycooks June 4, 2010 at 10:02 PM  

Crab cakes are one of my all time favorites! These look yummy and I agree with you, I do not enjoy fried foods. I bet they are delicious lightly sauteed with the sauce.

Unknown June 4, 2010 at 10:43 PM  

I love the avocado emulsion, it looks really good with the crab cakes!

Bigarade June 5, 2010 at 5:57 AM  

spicy! its been a while since i've stopped by!
But my god,my mouth is watering I can just imagine the flavours now!
I hope you enjoyed this! looks amazing!
great post :)

penny aka jeroxie June 5, 2010 at 9:53 AM  

I hope the situation gets better with the crab. Crab cakes definitely are one of my favourite snacks

Liv Wan June 5, 2010 at 6:42 PM  

Hello Nancy,
I love this crab cake. it's looks really tasty and fresh!
Many thanks for sharing this awesome recipe.

Judy June 6, 2010 at 9:50 AM  

*GASP* This looks SO delicious! I admit to loving crab cakes but only ordering them when I'm out, and never making them at home. I am very inspired to try. The avocado emulsion is making my mouth water! :)

Nancy June 6, 2010 at 6:32 PM  

I knew you would all agree with Emeril ! His recipes never fail to please.

@ Baking Barrister, you could try using sour cream instead. It should work perfectly.

Cupy Cakey June 6, 2010 at 11:42 PM  

Agreed with the others. I hope the oil is cleaned up soon! I will travel the earth to eat the best Crab cake. And your look fabulous!

Rick June 7, 2010 at 7:59 AM  

This makes me happy by just looking at it.

singerinkitchen June 7, 2010 at 11:44 AM  

This looks so nice! I like the colors and presentation.

Tanantha @ I Just Love My Apron June 7, 2010 at 6:46 PM  

Nancy, you did such a wonderful job from Emeril's. I like it crispy outside and soft inside. Yours is just perfect!

Joudie's Mood Food June 13, 2010 at 5:46 PM  

Crab cakes are divine! this looks perfect. I made some a while ago and they dissapeared before i even had a chance to sit down....

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog. I love to hear from my readers so please leave your thoughts or questions below. Thank You!

(**PLEASE notice that comments with links are sent to the spam filter. This is not a place for you to advertise yourself.**)

Buy or Sell Food Photos!

View My PortfolioRoyalty Free Images

Support Me By Clicking on These Links:

living in Czech Republic Expat Women - Helping Women Living OverseasTopOfBlogsBuy Foodie artHonest Cooking The Food Magazine, Spicie Foodie , contributor

Followers

©2009-2011 All recipes, articles, blog post, content, and images (*Unless otherwise stated*) are the sole property of Spicie Foodie and Nancy Lopez-McHugh. They should not be used without prior written consent. You can contact me here

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP