Yellow Split Pea Spread

>> Friday, March 26, 2010


The recipe I have for you guys today came together as a craving for a hearty yet healthy alternative to dairy bread spreads. I came up with this yellow split pea spread just by looking at what I had available in my kitchen. So you will more than likely already have all the ingredients in your kitchen too. I just started mixing different the spices and flavors and textures until I was happy with the taste, and this is what I came up with.

Yellow split peas cook very fast ( see package instructions) so you can cook them right before you prepare the recipe, or alternatively you can soak the split peas overnight , ( which is what I did ) . Yellow split peas are more commonly used in soups, although in both Guyana and Trinidad the Indian communities use them as Dal and are less common in India. Yellow split peas are a great source of protein, which provides our bodies with energy. If you are on a diet or trying to consume less calories protein is something you want to make sure you have with your meals because it will keep you feeling full longer.



Your Ingredients:
1/2 cup or 100 grams yellow split pea
1/4 tsp. each salt and black pepper
1/2 tsp. Turmeric
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. ginger powder
1/2 tsp. paprika
splash fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp. olive oil

1 small carrot, shredded
*1/2 sprig onion,including green stem, Or chives
+ salt & b.pepper to taste

Potato masher or Blender

1. Cook split peas following package instructions, you want to over cook these a bit since they will be pureed. Once the split peas are cooked, allow to completely cool off. Either in a blender or in a large bowl/container , add the cooked split peas and all of the spices and lemon juice. Mash or puree the ingredients , until it becomes a thick paste or puree. If the mixture is too dry add a couple of tablespoons of water, one at a time.
2. * By half of a sprig onion I mean, slice the onion down the middle to include all parts. Or for a more pungent taste you can add the whole onion.* Mix in the shredded carrot and sliced onion to the puree combine well. Taste for salt and pepper, and adjust to your liking.


Serve on sliced bread/toast or crackers. I served mine on whole grain bread that was covered in seeds and oatmeal and it was perfect! You could also use this spread to dip fresh vegetables instead of using fatty dressings. Store leftovers in the refrigerator , but use it up in the next day or two.

3 comments:

Catherine March 26, 2010 at 12:57 PM  

This looks delicious! I love the way this spread sounds, I'm going to try it soon!

Sook March 26, 2010 at 4:46 PM  

That is such a great idea! I got to try yellow split pea just the other day for the first time and loved it!! I will definitely have to try this spread.

Cookin' Canuck March 26, 2010 at 11:50 PM  

This spread is full of flavors I love. What a great light lunch, paired with a salad.

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog. I love to hear from my readers so please leave your thoughts or questions below. Thank You!

(**PLEASE notice that comments with links are sent to the spam filter. This is not a place for you to advertise yourself.**)

Buy or Sell Food Photos!

View My PortfolioRoyalty Free Images

Support Me By Clicking on These Links:

living in Czech Republic Expat Women - Helping Women Living OverseasTopOfBlogsBuy Foodie artHonest Cooking The Food Magazine, Spicie Foodie , contributor

Followers

©2009-2011 All recipes, articles, blog post, content, and images (*Unless otherwise stated*) are the sole property of Spicie Foodie and Nancy Lopez-McHugh. They should not be used without prior written consent. You can contact me here

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP