Apple Cinnamon Raisin Oatmeal

>> Tuesday, September 22, 2009

red apple
When I was growing up one of my favorite breakfast was my mother's oatmeal. It was especially a favorite of mine after we moved to the northern US and experienced really cold winter mornings, it was a great way to warm up and get the day started. I always heard people saying that they hated oatmeal and how disgusting it looked to them. I didn't understand because my mother's oatmeal tasted so good. I came to the conclusion why others hated it, they made it with water.....yuck, you have to make it with milk, whole milk is even better. Mom's oatmeal was cooked slowly with whole milk, whole cinnamon sticks and just a bit of sugar and it was amazing!

Apples are in season right now and I'm taking full advantage of it. I bought a 2 kilo bag and the first thing I made was my favorite Apple Cinnamon Raisin Oatmeal. I started making this oatmeal as an alternative to the prepackaged one that I loved but were to sweet for me. This tastes much better and is healthier than taking in all that sugar and preservatives.
apple oatmeal

Your Ingredients: (1 serving)
1/2 cup or 40 grams of dry oatmeal
1 Apple (sliced-diced-chopped your choice)
Raisins (I used a mixture of regular & golden)
1/2 tsp or 2.5 ml of cinnamon
1 tsp or 5 ml of sugar or honey or maple syrup (your choice)
small dab of butter
1 cup or 250 ml of milk

1. In a small pot under low heat melt the butter, then add apples,raisins, sugar and cinnamon, let this cook for a 5 minutes to warm the apples through and make them a bit soft.
2. Next add the oatmeal and mix thoroughly to combine all ingredients well. Then add the milk and again stir to combine well. Let the oatmeal cook for another 8 minutes or as directed on the package.(some cook faster or slower than others).
3. Once it's cooked serve with a couple of apple slices, raisins and sprinkle with cinnamon on top. Now enjoy!.......




*Please note that the measurements for the sugar and the cinnamon is what I use, but you can adjust to your taste. I think that the sweetness from the apple gives it enough sweetness and doesn't require a lot of sugar. Sometimes I add a bit more milk for a thin downed or runnier version.*
apple cinnamon oatmealSome fun facts about apples: Apples are a member of the rose family , Newton's law of gravity came to be thanks to a falling apple, they are low in calories, high in dietary fiber, good for your heart, good for your lungs, they originated from central Asia, where brought to North America in the 1600s , there are over 7,000 varieties, the peel is full of antioxidants, you can play games with them, they are so cool that a computer company and a record company use their name, and you can also be tempted with them - well they are delicious after all !

apple raisin oatmeal
I still have about 1 1/2 kilo left, I guess we have some eating and cooking to do. I can make apple bread, apple salad, apple sauce, apple butter, apple.... wait I feel like Bubba in Forest Gump, shrimp gumbo, lemon shrimp, shrimp stew........


*Update ~ October 13 2009 : Apple cinnamon raisin oatmeal is the featured meal of the day on HHM*

2 comments:

Alina September 29, 2009 at 5:56 AM  

I'm so with you about oatmeal made with milk!! Sometimes I even add some cream to it, hehe :) and I love oatmeal with dark raisins!! I also add some vanilla to it - but I add vanilla to nearly anything sweet :)

Nancy September 29, 2009 at 3:57 PM  

Alina,
Glad you agree:) wow with cream that must taste amazing. I've made oatmeal with vanilla sugar and it was good too.
~

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and reading my blog. I love to hear from my readers so please leave your thoughts or questions below. Thank You!

(**PLEASE notice that comments with links are sent to the spam filter. This is not a place for you to advertise yourself.**)

Buy or Sell Food Photos!

View My PortfolioRoyalty Free Images

Support Me By Clicking on These Links:

living in Czech Republic Expat Women - Helping Women Living OverseasTopOfBlogsBuy Foodie artHonest Cooking The Food Magazine, Spicie Foodie , contributor

Followers

©2009-2011 All recipes, articles, blog post, content, and images (*Unless otherwise stated*) are the sole property of Spicie Foodie and Nancy Lopez-McHugh. They should not be used without prior written consent. You can contact me here

  © Blogger template Webnolia by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP